Author Topic: [PC] TM PC Modding API  (Read 10849 times)

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • ヽ(`⌒´)ノ
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
[PC] Re: TM PC Modding API
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2016, 06:28:12 AM »
What exactly would the limitations be? I mean... there's got to be some sort of limitation, obviously. I'm sorry if my question is vague, but basically... what kind of games won't be possible?
Some games won't be vaguely possible.
So... No call of duty?
Dunno, but you can do Pong..

FYI source code here: https://github.com/cmartin99/TotalMinerMods/tree/master/ArcadeGames/Source

Do we get a video of TM pong now? :3

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: TM PC Modding API
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2016, 06:42:47 AM »
What exactly would the limitations be? I mean... there's got to be some sort of limitation, obviously. I'm sorry if my question is vague, but basically... what kind of games won't be possible?
So... No call of duty?
Dunno, but you can do Pong..

FYI source code here: https://github.com/cmartin99/TotalMinerMods/tree/master/ArcadeGames/Source

Do we get a video of TM pong now? :3
U Wot M8?

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2016, 07:43:10 AM »

Could someone make Total Gear?

Also, Someone, Anyone. Please make Total Zork.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Scotty2Hotty999

• Welcome to my Profile
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: VideoGameLord09
  • Steam: scotty2hotty999
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
Would it be possible to create a TV mod? To have different channels and stuff (maybe broadcast camera feed onto a certain channel?) So for online play, there can be news stations by other players that players can watch? That would be pretty cool!

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »
Would it be possible to create a TV mod? To have different channels and stuff (maybe broadcast camera feed onto a certain channel?) So for online play, there can be news stations by other players that players can watch? That would be pretty cool!

There are two modding options.

1. A mod that does everything via the games modding API.
2. A mod that does not.

Option 1 does not have support for animated textures (at this time).
Option 2 allows you to do practically anything, if you know how.

This is more or less the same thing as my LCD panel idea with an added function of being a CCTV monitor.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Scotty2Hotty999

• Welcome to my Profile
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »

There are two modding options.

1. A mod that does everything via the games modding API.
2. A mod that does not.

Option 1 does not have support for animated textures (at this time).
Option 2 allows you to do practically anything, if you know how.

This is more or less the same thing as my LCD panel idea with an added function of being a CCTV monitor.

I'm so excited to see the things the community will create for this game with mods once it is released!

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
Question Time

Does (or will) the API support:
•Adding ores or other blocks to world generation
•Adding in HUD elements, (in the fashion of say the hotbar, or other various game HUD pieces)
•Adding script commands, and what would be feasible with it
•Adding loot to cave chest loot table
•Adding different types of random spawn chests with unique loot tables to the vanilla game
•Adding in world gen things like the caves that cave chests spawn in, or little pools of liquid for modded in liquids, or trees/other various flora, or structures like small buildings or castles

-----

Regarding the first item on the list. Say I want to add an ore, will I be able to have them spawn naturally? What if I want to add other stone types to spawn in layers like marble or granite do, but I don't want to remove any of the default stone layers? Can I do that? What about if I want a different kind of grass to spawn in along side normal grass, not patchy like if grassy stone and grass shaded are, sort of like maybe a... makeshift biome thing?
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2016, 11:41:16 PM »
I've been wanting to learn C# so bad, because I want to make advanced mods rather than simple texture/stat XML swapping kind of stuff. Can anyone link me or direct me to a place that would be good to start learning, I keep trying to learn, but all websites start off too complex.

Muffin

• Elite Member
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: RawrMeMuffinMan
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2016, 11:43:51 PM »
I've been wanting to learn C# so bad, because I want to make advanced mods rather than simple texture/stat XML swapping kind of stuff. Can anyone link me or direct me to a place that would be good to start learning, I keep trying to learn, but all websites start off too complex.
Youtube?

http://prntscr.com/dqrw9s
The Gold Knight [08|Dec 09:11 PM]: I'm sorry, but I speak English... A language that has coherent thoughts that can be understood.

Scotty2Hotty999

• Welcome to my Profile
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »
So these are some of the weapons I've created for my "Galactic Miner" mod! All I need to do is make and apply textures to the objects, and then test it once the game comes out! So excited for this! (These are all folders by the way, with the necessary files inside!

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:13 AM »
Atm it supports adding/changing default ore generation via C#. I'd like to extend that to XML.

•Adding in HUD elements, (in the fashion of say the hotbar, or other various game HUD pieces)
Yes, via C#

Not yet

No

•Adding different types of random spawn chests with unique loot tables to the vanilla game
No

•Adding in world gen things like the caves that cave chests spawn in, or little pools of liquid for modded in liquids, or trees/other various flora, or structures like small buildings or castles
Not yet

-----

Regarding the first item on the list. Say I want to add an ore, will I be able to have them spawn naturally? What if I want to add other stone types to spawn in layers like marble or granite do, but I don't want to remove any of the default stone layers? Can I do that?
Yes via C#

What about if I want a different kind of grass to spawn in along side normal grass, not patchy like if grassy stone and grass shaded are, sort of like maybe a... makeshift biome thing?
Not yet

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2017, 02:16:59 AM »
Atm it supports adding/changing default ore generation via C#. I'd like to extend that to XML.

Yes, via C#

Not yet

No

No

Not yet

-----

Regarding the first item on the list. Say I want to add an ore, will I be able to have them spawn naturally? What if I want to add other stone types to spawn in layers like marble or granite do, but I don't want to remove any of the default stone layers? Can I do that?
Yes via C#

What about if I want a different kind of grass to spawn in along side normal grass, not patchy like if grassy stone and grass shaded are, sort of like maybe a... makeshift biome thing?
Not yet
Are the no's going to stay a no? It seems like it'd be a useful feature to be able to add loot to the cave chest loot table and create your own random loot chests that have different types of weapins/blocks/armours.

The ones listed as not yet. Are they going to be possible via XML?

The ones listed as yes,C#. Will they be extended to XML.

Basically, I'm asking how much will be capable in XML. XML seems pretty convenient.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2017, 02:32:46 AM »
Are the no's going to stay a no?
Don't know yet.

I doubt extending scripts would be possible in XML. I don't know if it's even viable with C# yet.
I doubt interesting HUD elements would be possible via XML.

XML should be sufficient for most world gen stuff.

Courier

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam: [EON] Courier
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
Craig, do you think there is going to be a Steam Workshop for the PC version? Sorry is this has already been said before btw

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hallo
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
  • Steam: Alienizd
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
That is the plan.
-Alionz