Author Topic: [PC] TM PC Modding API  (Read 10326 times)

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
[PC] Re: TM PC Modding API
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »
What's going on in the new dev video? I don't understand.

At the end of the video it shows a new tab in the pause menu, titled Vehicles.

You can add stuff like that via modding.
I'm not sure that helped explain to me any better. What was the rasta for?

When the rasta block is opened you can see "setup", whereas normally I don't think you would be able to. I assume that this is what pushed the player into the vehicles tab (pressing A to access setup while picking the rasta block).
Correct. I just used the Rasta as an example, but normally the modder would create their own block, like an NPC Spawner for example, a block that has setup and that custom setup screen can be accessed from the prospect/interact screen like other built in blocks.
oh, I see. What about direct interaction, like with chests or shops?
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
Re: TM PC Modding API
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2016, 11:45:34 PM »

Adding on to this, will we be able to make menus via the API similar to in-game scripted menus?
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2016, 11:59:44 PM »
Yes that will be supported too.

Adding on to this, will we be able to make menus via the API similar to in-game scripted menus?
Yes, using C# you can completely bypass the normal game GUI and create your own, if you want. You'll also be able to suppress all the current HUD elements, and replace them with your own.

In terms of the custom UI (that you see in the video), I have created a standalone GUI library which has types for basic controls like labels, buttons, datafields, listboxes, dropdowns, sliders, etc. The new GUI is built using that library, and modders will have full access to that library to either build their own UI that mimics the games one, or build a completely different UI.

Of course, modders also have the option to just do everything themselves using SpriteBatch.

Note: Today I'm building an API for modders to create their own Arcade games for the Arcade block.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:18:19 AM by Craig »

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »
A few questions.

1: Will custom wearable avatars be easily moddable before they are a feature in the game?

2: Will they support texturable blocks?

3: Will they be able to be animated?

4: Will crouch models be able to be animated?

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »
A few questions.

1: Will custom wearable avatars be easily moddable before they are a feature in the game?

I don't know. Feature creep is starting to concern me. I now want to clamp down on new features and try to focus on "must do's" before early access release.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2016, 06:03:10 PM »
A few questions.

I don't know. Feature creep is starting to concern me. I now want to clamp down on new features and try to focus on "must do's" before early access release.

I mean, Go ahead and do that. I never asked if it would be in the initial release. I'm just wondering if this will be moddable before you make it into a proper feature with GUIs and menus and stuff.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Muffin

• Elite Member
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: RawrMeMuffinMan
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
Note: Today I'm building an API for modders to create their own Arcade games for the Arcade block.
This interests me greatly. Already have a couple of ideas I'm planning on.

http://prntscr.com/dqrw9s
The Gold Knight [08|Dec 09:11 PM]: I'm sorry, but I speak English... A language that has coherent thoughts that can be understood.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »
Note the games will be programmed in C# (or possibly other .Net languages).

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2016, 11:49:44 PM »
What exactly would the limitations be? I mean... there's got to be some sort of limitation, obviously. I'm sorry if my question is vague, but basically... what kind of games won't be possible?
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2016, 12:10:20 AM »
What exactly would the limitations be? I mean... there's got to be some sort of limitation, obviously. I'm sorry if my question is vague, but basically... what kind of games won't be possible?
let's pretend there's no limitations. Then we can play TM while playing TM.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2016, 12:40:44 AM »
let's pretend there's no limitations. Then we can play TM while playing TM.
that's kind of the thing I was getting at. I mean, we can't really store data from games, can we? Among what else is there for limitations?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »
we can't really store data from games, can we?
You could.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2016, 02:51:46 AM »
Some games won't be vaguely possible.

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2016, 02:52:12 AM »
So... No call of duty?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2016, 04:15:48 AM »
So... No call of duty?
Dunno, but you can do Pong..

FYI source code here: https://github.com/cmartin99/TotalMinerMods/tree/master/ArcadeGames/Source