Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  My Time Travel / Dimensional Travel Hypothesis  (Read 151 times)

Wumboist

• Wum-Bo-Ist!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Wumboist
My Time Travel / Dimensional Travel Hypothesis
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:11:15 AM »
I have had my own hypothesis on time travel/dimensional travel for some time now, but I haven't had anyone see any issues with it. Do you see any flaws in this?

So, I've come to the conclusion that time travel would be impossible without dimensional travel, and would be entirely pointless. I'll break this down.

A fundamental principle of classical physics that matter cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system. By that logic, to travel time to the future, you would have to shift from 1 time to another, which would destroy the matter you are made of until the time you are traveling to, and then create the matter you were made of back at the time you traveled from, and to travel backwards, place you in a position in time where your body currently wasn't. For this to be possible, it would seem to me that time would have to be either a made up measurement that is in no way a reality (the less believable one of the two in my opinion), or that all of time is on one plane, with all of time happening simultaneously. Which, if this were to be true, it would also seem to me that we couldn't travel to anywhere else but the exact same time because it would be impossible to locate a certain time in a ridiculously small fraction of a millisecond within all of time happening simultaneously. Therefore, if this plane of time exists, it would be pointless to travel through it because you would just end in the same place you started, OR you could possibly travel dimensions (if multiple exist) to the same place, at the same time, in a dimension that has no differences to the dimension you came from or that has differences that have no effect on the time travel project.

Any opinions on this?
Message me on Xbox if you want help on your maps! :D

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
Re: My Time Travel / Dimensional Travel Hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 03:43:40 AM »
There are too many unknowns, and this has no scientific backing.

Interesting hypothesis, though.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Wumboist

• Wum-Bo-Ist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 03:59:26 AM »
There are too many unknowns, and this has no scientific backing.

Interesting hypothesis, though.

Thanks! Also, yes I know there is none. Even though it doesn't really prove anything, I just couldn't help but post this, because time travel and dimensional travel are two major fascinations of mine.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 04:08:55 AM »
I like the idea of breaking down and rebuilding matter, it actually sounds pretty possible if we where able to break down matter so easily...

How would we store the matter and make sure it isn't mixed with other matter? Considering everything is made of matter...

Another thing, Is this actually time travel or is this more of a wait type thing? :P

Wumboist

• Wum-Bo-Ist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
I like the idea of breaking down and rebuilding matter, it actually sounds pretty possible if we where able to break down matter so easily...

How would we store the matter and make sure it isn't mixed with other matter? Considering everything is made of matter...

Another thing, Is this actually time travel or is this more of a wait type thing? :P

First, I'm not exactly sure this is, or would be possible. But, if we were to condense matter somehow, I feel that it would probably be very easy to store with other matter. (As to my knowledge, there isn't enough known about this subject over all that I can back a full answer off of.)

Next, what do you mean by wait type thing? Do you mean like how time travel works in Futurama with cryogenic sleep as an example, or something else entirely?

Pringle

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: pringle2009
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
Breaking down our matter and rebuilding it is something that may be possible but is difficult to comprehend. Example, a computer scans you and rebuilds you exactly particle for particle elsewhere, is that really you and your consousness or is the "you" dead.

In addition, maybe energy or antimatter particles are the answe to keeping your matter from mixing with other matter?

Finally, if you really want to break matter down all the way, how about turning it to energy, because isn't that what it really is, just condensed energy?

All this probably doesnt apply to your theory but just food for thought
https://m.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:29 AM »
Yes, I agree with Pringle.

If you were to be ripped apart into molecules and reassembled somewhere else, it would appear to be you, but it would be a different you, as you would have to be destroyed / disintegrated to be teleported, thus ending you. I'm not sure if the teleported copy would be alive though, since all conscienceness would be destroyed upon cell separation. Then again, there was supposedly a cloned sheep.

Either way, I'll never try teleportation or time travel, as I'm happy with what I have.

I also love the idea of time travel, but its highly impossible as time is not a place you can go, it is simply a measurement thought up by man to keep track of when to plant crops and when to harvest.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 04:13:29 PM »
If you were to be ripped apart into molecules and reassembled somewhere else, it would appear to be you, but it would be a different you, as you would have to be destroyed / disintegrated to be teleported, thus ending you. I'm not sure if the teleported copy would be alive though, since all conscienceness would be destroyed upon cell separation. Then again, there was supposedly a cloned sheep.
They didn't clone the sheep with a sci-fi duplication machine. That was all DNA recoding/single organism reproduction.

Also, regarding the consciousness, people may not have the ability to transfer between times, but if you're able to rebuild a structure as it was pre-transfer... then you could have notebooks transferred between times. This would allow for future projects to be available to people from the past... which... may throw time way off.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:06:43 PM »
This brings up an interesting point about my favorite things, QUANTUM PARTICLES XDXD. In short they're smaller than atoms, so much so we don't have a number large enough to describe how many are in a single atom! There are many theories and other interesting things about them I can talk about later. Anyway, anyone who took freshman physics knows that atoms are 99% empty from the nucleus to the electrons. Quantum particles are much the same way, except they're more like 99.999999999999999% empty. So along with atoms, the idea was rather than break down your structure and rebuild yourself, scientists theorized you could manipulate the atoms of an object, or of someone, to simply match the 99% empty space of the atoms in say a wall, to the empty space of the atoms of your body. I don't want to be the one to test this theory \-_-/

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »
As the universe expands, it pulls on all atoms harder and harder. Meaning that when the universe keeps expanding, reality is ripped apart. If humans could harness the amount of force to rip apart reality and create their own, time travel would be entirely possible. Now, think about this, if humans invented time travel, why did we not have a visitor from the future yet to help us out?