Author Topic: [Other] Requests For Custom Language For Your World  (Read 1924 times)

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
[Other] Re: Requests For Custom Language For Your World
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
It seems like if you were going to use a custom language, you need to use English letters, otherwise you can't use them on signs, unless you could make them from symbols ( |< | |_ |_ , etc).

I think I'm going to stick with FFX Al-Bhed as it is easy enough to solve with letter substitution and it has an easily obtainable guide.

Actually, I was planning on using particles for any Demonic writing in the map. And if you try to talk to a Demon without having read a book on Demonic, It'll just say "The Demon said something in a language you do not understand."

I figure if you hear something in a language you understand, It'll be easier to understand right away than if you read something in a different language.

Worst comes to worst, I could just spell things out phonetically.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
Re: Requests For Custom Language For Your World
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
This may be a dumb question but. If the player is not on the forums and don't know what you mean will there be easy translation or subtitles?

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »
This may be a dumb question but. If the player is not on the forums and don't know what you mean will there be easy translation or subtitles?

As I said earlier, For actual dialogue, I plan on either making Demons in a map just unintelligible unless you know the language, Or I may try to latinize the Demonic alphabet, And turn it into English text when you read about demonic.

I mostly plan to use the Demonic language for other things in my universe, And Demonic builds.

It'll be fun to speak and use for stories and such, But I am unsure as to how I will use it in TM right now.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »
It would be cool to control letter substitution to where you can make Z equal a S or something, so you could automatically have a system where is the player has a history or Translate\Z it replaces all Z in the [Text] parameter to a S.

Example.

XZ J BI4V 7074I WJ/V3P J 3/NL0V (4>|3

would translate to:

As I play total miner I enjoy cake

...assuming they found each book on translating the language.

I have absolutely no idea him it would be set up or done though, other than having a Chechen for every permutation of each letter and have it retyped for that 1 sentence. That would be a pain

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
It would be cool to control letter substitution to where you can make Z equal a S or something, so you could automatically have a system where is the player has a history or Translate\Z it replaces all Z in the [Text] parameter to a S.

Example.

XZ J BI4V 7074I WJ/V3P J 3/NL0V (4>|3

would translate to:

As I play total miner I enjoy cake

...assuming they found each book on translating the language.

I have absolutely no idea him it would be set up or done though, other than having a Chechen for every permutation of each letter and have it retyped for that 1 sentence. That would be a pain

That would be a cipher, Not a language. While useful, It wouldn't help.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 12:24:41 AM »
I found a great website for helping to generate words. It is very customisable, and if you're clever, it can be used with the custom fonts I'm able to make for the languages. It is much more helpful if you know what you want from your language as far as sound goes.

There is a guide for how to use it in the upper left corner of the site. If you still have a hard time understanding how to configure it, I can help.

Awkwords Word Generator
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 02:51:05 AM »
Hey, PWRBTTN. Could you please design a language for me? I want it to be spoken by a tribal people in a warm area. The people who speak it are the Tokuli, and the language is Tokulitopo.

Also, I don't want too many sounds. Maybe five vowels and nine consonants. I'm quite a fan of these sounds...
T
L
S
K
R
H
F
M
CH
AY
EE
EYE
OWE
OO

I'd like to see a consonant-vowel syllable system. I'd also like for it to vaguely be adjab-ish. In fact, do you know Tolkien's Quenya and Sindarin languages? I want the vowels to work like that.

As far as grammar, they're tribal, and care little about fancy rules. Just make it so that it can use the exact same, simple sentence structure for each sentence.

The number system needs to be unique and complicated, though. They developed a system of numbering/record keeping without any influence by other civilisations. Can you do something with the Fibonacci Sequence?
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 02:52:28 AM »
Hey, PWRBTTN. Could you please design a language for me?
Sure thing, just give me some time to draw up some concepts.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 07:53:02 AM »
I found a great website for helping to generate words. It is very customisable, and if you're clever, it can be used with the custom fonts I'm able to make for the languages. It is much more helpful if you know what you want from your language as far as sound goes.

There is a guide for how to use it in the upper left corner of the site. If you still have a hard time understanding how to configure it, I can help.

Awkwords Word Generator

That one is actually better than the one I was planning on using in some aspects.

This one allows assignment of weight based on actual numbers, Rather than the order in which they are placed.

This one also allows multiple characters to be set for one letter.

They both allow for changing the syllable structure, But this one let's me be super specific about what is allowed, Minimum and maximum word length, What characters are allowed in a word together, Etc.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »

Awkwords Word Generator

That one is actually better than the one I was planning on using in some aspects.

This one allows assignment of weight based on actual numbers, Rather than the order in which they are placed.

They both allow for changing the syllable structure, But this one let's me be super specific about what is allowed, Minimum and maximum word length, What characters are allowed in a word together, Etc.
Yeh, I was looking on the internet for a good portion of the night for something like that. There's actually another tool I can link you to from the same site. It's just a little too complicated to give to those who know less about conlanging. I'll PM it to you.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »

Awkwords Word Generator

Yeh, I was looking on the internet for a good portion of the night for something like that. There's actually another tool I can link you to from the same site. It's just a little too complicated to give to those who know less about conlanging. I'll PM it to you.

If you find any others that may be useful, You know where to find me... Because this is the internet, And it isn't hard.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:59 AM »
Language name: Araneae

Derivative of: Nothing, There is literally no other language I can think of that this could be derived from. Maybe Sign Language, But even then, It has to be very different because Spiders don't have fingers.

Spoken by: Spiders! Specifically, Every species of giant spider in my world will "speak" some form of it.

As for language rules, There are obviously some strict ones here. Spiders don't have mouths that could regulate airflow to form spoken consonants and vowels (I am refusing to acknowledge TM spiders and MC spiders.) so that means we need to focus mostly on things such as click consonant combinations (A spider clicking its fangs together.) and a visual form of language using the spider's pedipalps (The things on the front of its cephalothorax that look like tiny legs.).

It will obviously be a very primitive language. That of an animal with the intelligence to know the value of communication.
Think of a Bee, Cat, Or Dog. They communicate in a simple way that gets the point across with as little effort as possible.

It'd also be nice for there to be a written form of some kind. So spiders could leave messages to other spiders. Ex. "Predator ahead." "Looking for a mate." Etc.

You know what, A great analogy for this language is Dark Souls, Where people communicate solely via gestures, And written messages on the ground.

This shouldn't be all that hard to create due to its simplicity, But it will be different to any other language you make on here.

W//L

• Truth sounds like hate, to those who hate truth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »

Derivitive of: Ancient latin and greek (mandatory)
(I'll need to know what language or languages you want your language to sound like. If you do not know of any languages that sound the way you want, do your best to explain it)

Spoken by: Humans (all sounds can be used ;) )(mandatory)
(I'll need to know what it is being spoken by. Essentially, it'll also give me some insight as to what the language should sound like. For example, Griffins have beaks. Therefore they cannot make B sounds. So I know that any language spoken by birds cannot contain a B sound.)

Rules of the Language:

All vowels must have a sort of accent on,

Can i just say :

Hi, can i just say i really like the look of Dryyms Demonic language. Can i have signs like that for numbers? And really cool signs with accents on or letters? Cheers,
Will.
#anonymous #anon

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »

Derivitive of: Ancient latin and greek (mandatory)
(I'll need to know what language or languages you want your language to sound like. If you do not know of any languages that sound the way you want, do your best to explain it)

Spoken by: Humans (all sounds can be used ;) )(mandatory)
(I'll need to know what it is being spoken by. Essentially, it'll also give me some insight as to what the language should sound like. For example, Griffins have beaks. Therefore they cannot make B sounds. So I know that any language spoken by birds cannot contain a B sound.)

Rules of the Language:

All vowels must have a sort of accent on,

Can i just say :

Hi, can i just say i really like the look of Dryyms Demonic language. Can i have signs like that for numbers? And really cool signs with accents on or letters? Cheers,
Will.

Sounds like you could create this language fairly easily yourself. XD Aside from creating the alphabet and stuff like that.

I am going to assume most languages you know are pretty heavily influenced by these two languages.

That being said, I think that is a good choice for a language that you want to be easily learnt.

Probably a good choice for a first language too.

I will say though, For the "Spoken By" part, You should probably give a bit of background to the people who speak it.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
I will say though, For the "Spoken By" part, You should probably give a bit of background to the people who speak it.
Agreed.

You see, altitudes and climates affect the natural progression of a developing language and its accents.

Speaking of accents, did you mean accent like how there are many accents of English?... or like the dots you see over vowels in languages like Swedish or Dutch?

By the way, Latin and Greek are significantly different. They're not even compoundable.

Perhaps refine your preferences?