Author Topic: [Other] Requests For Custom Language For Your World  (Read 1848 times)

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
[Other] Requests For Custom Language For Your World
« on: September 04, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I offer my linguistic services out to your worlds at your desire so that you may populate your worlds with a unique language. I've self-taught myself Latin, Russian, and Lojban. I've dabbled slightly in Mandarin Chinese, Dutch, and Arabic. Finally, I have also started work on my own, ongoing constructed language project.

You need only request below here for a language. I do ask, however, that you follow a certain format.

Derivitive of: __________ (mandatory)
(I'll need to know what language or languages you want your language to sound like. If you do not know of any languages that sound the way you want, do your best to explain it)

Spoken by: __________ (mandatory)
(I'll need to know what it is being spoken by. Essentially, it'll also give me some insight as to what the language should sound like. For example, Griffins have beaks. Therefore they cannot make B sounds. So I know that any language spoken by birds cannot contain a B sound.)

Rules of the Language:
(This one is not required, nor is it very clear as to what I mean. I'll give examples, but basically if there are any custom rules you want for the language, tell me here. I'll leave list with explanation for each term below that you can pick from)

-No consonant clusters: This will define each word as to not having two or more consonants adjacent to one another, and ALWAYS be seperateed by one or more vowels or symbols. (Example: baba'baeb'b)
-No dipthongs: Vowels will not influence the sound of an adjacent vowel. (Example: You won't have the "oa" sound like in boar, or the "ea" sound like in peak)
-No capital letters: Essentially you won't be using capital letters... that's it...
-Syllable locks: Words will be locked to a minimum and/or maximum syllable count
-Sentence structure: This is how your sentences are layed out. If you know how you want your sentences structured, then tell me. I can create a structure if you want, though.

I could honestly just keep going. If you want a bunch of custom rules to help make your language unique, you can either just simply post them. If you don't know which rules you want, feel free to contact me on Xbox and we can collaborate. My gamertag is PWRBTTN.

The purpose of this is not to create an ENTIRE language for you, but instead a foundation for you and your language that makes sense. This way, it is simple enough for you to create words and sentences without worrying about unlogical holes in your language. I will create a few example words for your language, but otherwise the words are yours to create. Your language and it's rules will be in the post below.

I found a great website for helping to generate words. It is very customisable, and if you're clever, it can be used with the custom fonts I'm able to make for the languages. It is much more helpful if you know what you want from your language as far as sound goes.

There is a guide for how to use it in the upper left corner of the site. If you still have a hard time understanding how to configure it, I can help.

[Awkwords Word Generator]

Lastly, this project's overall goal is to help worlds stand out. As such, Fantasy and Sci-Fi themes usually include different species with different languages. I can do my best with languages, but I can't help much with designing the things that will speak it. However, a good friend of mine, Dryym, can do that. He has a mob/NPC/avatar request topic in the Creative board. After viewing this and requesting a language, head on over there at this link here...
[Dryym's Topic]
... to see if he'll build one for you. These builds are intended for when custom avatars are implemented, and they look GREAT. Also, if you're looking for advice on building an entire culture from the ground-up, definitely check out Trubstep's topic here...
[Trub's Topic]

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Disclaimer: I am not sure how popular this will be. If I feel it is not getting the appropriate amount of attention, this project will not become a priority. Therefore, I may not always have time to create a language for you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:32:43 AM by PWRBTTN »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Requests For Custom Language For Your World
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
Demonic
     Requested by: Dryym
Spoiler for Demonic:
The Demonic language, requested by Dryym, is complete. It still needs to be populated with words, but that will be Dryym's duty.

The alphabet is also available as a font. If you'd like a copyof the font, you can PM me. I will email the file, and you will need to download it, unzip it, and install it. Like any basic font, it is compatible with programs akin to MS Office, MS Word, MS Paint, Paint.NET, and so on.

The alphabet...

(Underlined) The sound each letter makes, respectively...

The grammar. It's a little abstract compared to other languages, but that was the intent of the design. There also isn't very many rules. Again, that was the intent of the design...

The number system. A number system based on 5, instead of the number system you're most familiar with, where it's based on 10. This image shows it counting from 0 to 101...

Tokulitopo
     Requested by: PWRBTTN
Spoiler for Tokulitopo:
Language has not yet been started.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:55:36 AM by PWRBTTN »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »
Just a note, If you're going to request a language from PWR, Make sure you are going to be able to understand it. Zoidberg couldn't decipher his simplest language, Whereas i (With no formal linguistics education or anything like that) found it easy.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:35:49 PM »
I don't see myself as much of a teacher, but I'm fully confident in my ability to explain languages. Especially that of one I design on my own.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
I don't see myself as much of a teacher, but I'm fully confident in my ability to explain languages. Especially that of one I design on my own.

Well, I feel as though you could help me since you know more about linguistics than i do. XD

Language: Demonic

Derivative of: Russian, Arabic, And maybe something else. I want it to sound intimidating, But kind of melodic at the same time. I don't know that much about Arabic, But i know that when I'm playing stealth games, I can never tell if the people are shouting because they saw me, Or they are saying hello to a buddy. And Russian because.. Mother Russia!

Spoken by: Demons of course! I think we've talked about demonic anatomy before, But for the sake of formality, They are pretty similar to humans. I'm sure we can come up with some interesting things that are unique about the way they speak.

I'm not sure what language rules i want, All i know is i do not want the complicated "You cannot have X After W,Y,Etc. Instead use Z" thing that Russian does.

I'm sure we can come up with some interesting concepts that make this add more depth to my species, And teach me more about this kind of thing so i don't need you anymore So i can make languages better on my own.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
Sure, Dryym. We can either discuss the technicalities on xbox or over PM. I can't wait. I've already updated the second post to accomodate your language.

GoatOnTheMoon

• Supreme Member
  • YT: Nefty
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:33:10 AM »
I really like this idea, as it adds a lot of diversity to a map. But I just don't see the applicability of this. Most of the game and its community speaks Englsih, and ive only ever joined one map that didn't have the storyline in English (it was French and from what I understood from my 2 years of studying at the time, it was pretty interesting). Stuff like demonic and other language, that have a quest to decipher it maybe, that would be very interesting. But a full on language transfer just seems like more work than its worth.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »
I really like this idea, as it adds a lot of diversity to a map. But I just don't see the applicability of this. Most of the game and its community speaks Englsih, and ive only ever joined one map that didn't have the storyline in English (it was French and from what I understood from my 2 years of studying at the time, it was pretty interesting). Stuff like demonic and other language, that have a quest to decipher it maybe, that would be very interesting. But a full on language transfer just seems like more work than its worth.

Be that as it may, I honestly feel that this is more for people who want to create a full on universe rather than a simple RPG.
I personally believe that when you're making a story, You should write more than you give out, It gives depth with a real meaning to it.

Nothing is more work than it's worth when it comes to creating something, It just adds meaning, and shows that you care about what you are working on.

GoatOnTheMoon

• Supreme Member
  • YT: Nefty
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
Nothing is more work than it's worth when it comes to creating something, It just adds meaning, and shows that you care about what you are working on.

Valid Point. But 99% of RPG with that kind of passion never see the light of day. Those that due never get finished. When you put too much effort into a dingle part of your map, it takes away time and effort you need for basic map creation/development.

Pringle

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: pringle2009
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
Maybe they speak demonic just shouting and sometimes speak English, or maybe a translation is at the bottom

Or maybe there are demonic speakers that send you on a quest but you have to find a book before you can understand them as a side quest by a professor
https://m.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 04:39:58 AM »
I'm proud to announce that my first requested language is finished.

Dryym's Demonic language has been fully constructed, save for being populated with words. I encourage you to check it out in the 2nd post on this topic.

The entire project took a total of around 150 hours at most, over the course of about 2 months. I've had other things going on in my life, so this wasn't a priority.

Once again, if the topic becomes more popular, I will be more than willing to devote more time to creating more languages.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 04:47:07 AM »
Interesting how the demonic language turned out. I speak my own language myself mystlesh. Haha bad grammar lol. But congrats on language.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 08:02:38 AM »
For those wondering, My SIG says
Sahalam
Su
<Dryym>

Meaning "Universe from Dryym" Dryym in this case being the Dragon god from which all Dragonkind and their derivitaves were spawned.

Demons have held a good relationship with Dragons throughout their evolution. Another reason why Humans are intimidated by them.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • ヽ(`⌒)ノ
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
This is very impressive, good luck with it.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
It seems like if you were going to use a custom language, you need to use English letters, otherwise you can't use them on signs, unless you could make them from symbols ( |< | |_ |_ , etc).

I think I'm going to stick with FFX Al-Bhed as it is easy enough to solve with letter substitution and it has an easily obtainable guide.