Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Will avatar have to be altered for animation  (Read 2389 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
Re: Will avatar have to be altered for animation
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 04:51:02 AM »
How big of a change will this be as far as time and difficulty?
I don't think the difficulty will be high. I've never programmed bone animated models before but from what code I have seen, it's not what I would call a serious challenge. I expect it will be around 2 weeks for all the programming, and probably 1 - 2 weeks to create the animations which an animator can do while I do the programming (I'm not going to do the animation, me and 3D modelling software don't work well together which is another reason I love making this game, because I don't have to use modelling software).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:39:05 AM by Craig »

Silver

• Elite Member
  • I write stories. What else do you need to know?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 06:13:45 AM »
Wow, Craig, this sounds great! So what you're saying is that if we use animation for characters, it'll have better performance than voxel built characters?

TRex

• Elite Member
  • Old dog of the Forums
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: SpindlierT Rex
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
Yeah sound about right.  Ever played a game and droped a 1000 or so objects and they started rolling around casting there own shadows and such.  Bet it lagged the game up pretty bad.  That is how it would be if animation is added now as it is.

I just hope to get my avatars into the game they would provide the customization that the game needs as well as being easy to convert into the new style of avatars.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
I just hope to get my avatars into the game they would provide the customization that the game needs as well as being easy to convert into the new style of avatars.
I suspect you haven't properly understood what I've posted. I can't use models, they're too demanding for the 360. Everything will be built from a simple textured cuboid.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
I suspect you haven't properly understood what I've posted. I can't use models, they're too demanding for the 360. Everything will be built from a simple textured cuboid.
will the cuboid look like the blocks currently in the game, or will they be basic colors?

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

TRex

• Elite Member
  • Old dog of the Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:17 AM »
Later will players be able to customize the cuboids for personal touch to their maps.

Cuboids sound a bit like the idea of models in my head.  From what I understand a cuboid is a single object such as a (arm, leg, torso or a head) as compared to the arms, legs, torso and head that we have know that use hundreds of objects or cubes to make each one.
The cuboid method sounds a bit like the minecraft models which is kinda what I was thinking of that several large objects would make up the avatar reducing memory cost.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:35:20 AM by TRex »

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
Later will players be able to customize the cuboids for personal touch to their maps.
Doubt it, adding a hole customization avatar wouldn't be something that would/could be implemented into the game, i doubt the bone animation will change how the avatars work, you will still probably unlock them and if you wan't you'res to be in the game you must follow some guidelines and submit it personally to Craig.

Thats how id imagine it work, be interesting to see what craig himslef says.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
will the cuboid look like the blocks currently in the game, or will they be basic colors?
They will be textured with skins.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »
It would be possible to allow players to customize the thickness of the cuboids, and possibly the length to a small degree.

The cuboid method sounds a bit like the minecraft models
Pretty much. It's absolutely the most efficient way to have bone animated avatars. Which is why MC can handle hundreds of animals running around, and mods like toy soldiers.

TRex

• Elite Member
  • Old dog of the Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding Craig I guess I should have talked about turning them into cuboids instead of models. 

I was mixing cuboids with models based on my idea of 3d software models of objects made for games.