Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  The college experience!  (Read 879 times)

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
  • Don't let your memes be memes
    • View Profile
The college experience!
« on: August 05, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
Hi guys! I'm starting my third year in high school here soon (Two weeks! This summer has gone by fast!) and with that I want to start looking into colleges. So my question for those of you who are in or have completed college is simple, what was your college experience like? I'm really interested in what it is like living on campus as that is what I am hoping to do. Thanks for checking the topic out, can't wait to read your responses!
My Threads
Miner Of The Month for July 2013!
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

casual onion

• Legendary Member
  • I sometimes eat onions.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
  • Xbox: casual onion
  • Steam: casual onion
Re: The college experience!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
Hopefully I'm going to college/university in September this year to study Travel & Tourism Management as a HND (diploma) so I'll let you know how it goes but I'm living at home. And I'm in UK
| Thanks for reading my post. It was great, wasn't it? |

| I build Economy RPG Maps, here i my current one. Hazzah! |

| Feel Free to send me a message on here on the TM Discord (casual onion#3563) |

| Enjoy the next post! |

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
Depends on what you want to know. University experience is out of my league, I do Community College. mostly due to my program of choice, and my poor choices I made when I was in High School YEARS ago. But for the most part, it's a lot more loose with direction. You are more of an adult here than anywhere, aside from outside. You are to keep your own schedule, be to places on time and try to manage your time accordingly. But Professors are not like teachers in High School, FAR different actually.

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:18:15 PM »
Depends on what you want to know. University experience is out of my league, I do Community College. mostly due to my program of choice, and my poor choices I made when I was in High School YEARS ago. But for the most part, it's a lot more loose with direction. You are more of an adult here than anywhere, aside from outside. You are to keep your own schedule, be to places on time and try to manage your time accordingly. But Professors are not like teachers in High School, FAR different actually.

I'd be super interested in the differences between professors and teachers. Care to delve further into the subject?
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »
I'd be super interested in the differences between professors and teachers. Care to delve further into the subject?
University is more independent when it comes to its approach to teaching.

A professors isn't going to "hold your hand and force you to do the work" sort to say as a teacher may do.
They will teach the lecture and assign work. It's up to you to understand the content, complete the work, meet deadlines and to a achieve a result you are happy with.

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »
Ill break this into the academics part of college, and the campus life aspects.

As for academics, you need to know where you stand in terms of being able to handle work loads or being able to pay expenses. If you are in accelerated programs in high school currently (AP or International Baccalaureate), then you may want to consider a University.

Community colleges are in the most part cheaper and a bit easier. If high school academics is a bit harder than you had hoped, then 2 years of community college followed by 2 years at a University may be more suitable. If you choose to do a community college, don't feel like it's demoralizing to go to one over a 4-year institution. When it comes down to it, you still graduate with the same degree, same qualifications, and the same chance of landing a job that a university graduate leaves with.

If you really, really, really know what you want to do with your life, then a technical college could be suitable.
Universities are for openness and exploring many different fields to pinpoint what truly interests you. Technical colleges have set tracks that you don't deviate from.
So lets say you know for a fact you want to become an engineer and nothing else, then there are engineering technical colleges that get you through the engineering program as fast as possible without any other "electives".

Personally, I would suggest go for a university experience. Take as many varying classes as you can. I ended up taking science classes for my major, followed by history and archaeology classes for my minor. I was also able to slot in philosophy, economics, and even an art ceramics class. See everything the college has to offer, and take chances.
I know that I probably wont ever get a chance to make ceramic sculptures ever again, so Im glad that I got the chance to while I could. And you should try the same; if you find something that interests you, go for it.

As for campus life, I strongly recommend that you get a place on campus. Look at different dorm room options, because not all of them are the stereotypical "everyone on the floor shares 6 bathrooms and 6 showers at the end of the hall".
Some come with 4 people sharing one bathroom, some come with single occupancy rooms, full kitchen sets, etc.
But make sure you have access to meet people, such as a common room. You meet a ton of people, who could become life-long friends, future classmates, study groups, etc. who will be invaluable to your success in college.

Join clubs.
A university will most surely have hundreds of campus organizations ranging from Greek life to video game clubs to cancer fundraising opportunities and to saving the whales activism groups. Be sure to engage with and join a few. Once again, it will be invaluable to your social experience on campus, and help further your success.

Think of it this way, a college with great academics but little to no access to meet new friends, no places to hang out, and no time but to just study = boredom, dullness, and a grueling 4 years.
People who are tired of their college don't stay too long.

That is why your campus life is vital to your success. When you take a tour of your preferred colleges, make sure to look at the student union. Look to see if the campus has a gym, some dining halls, on-campus restaurants, movie nights, free concerts, county fairs in town. Free football games? Free basketball games? See what the city around the campus has to offer. Semi-liberal-tea-and-boba-drink-cafes, grocery stores to stock up on food, places to do things.....

Let me know if you have more specific questions.
You make me smile!

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
Let me know if you have more specific questions.
Thanks for the great reply! How would you say your relationship with your professors were during college? Did they attempt to be more friendly with their students and get to know them a little more or did they always keep it professional, give lectures and take papers? I'm also wondering what exactly a common room is and what purposes it serves.

Edit: I'm also wondering how the transition from living with your parents, assuming you hadn't moved to an apt before going to college, to living with strangers was.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:26:00 PM by A Guided Gamer »
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »
How would you say your relationship with your professors were during college? Did they attempt to be more friendly with their students and get to know them a little more or did they always keep it professional, give lectures and take papers?

Tom summed it up pretty well, as college professors are there to teach material and administer exams. They aren't there to force you to attend lectures, to do the assignments, and won't feel bad if you fail. It is up to you to motivate yourself to finish projects on time and study for the exams.

That's not to say the professors are unhelpful. Many universities have professors set aside designated office hours during the school week, for students who have questions about the material can come in and chat with them one on one.
But if you have general courses (general chemistry, biology, macroeconomics, finance class, etc) chances are you will be in stadium seating with hundreds of other students, as opposed to smaller classrooms for more specific subjects (history, anthropology, senior-level science classes, labs, etc).

As for if they're "friendly with their students", most don't. But you will find a few that show up at the campus Starbucks, and have a chat with some of their former students. Plus if you take interest in their work/field, they are more than happy to help guide you.

I'm also wondering what exactly a common room is and what purposes it serves.

Looks like this:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

It's essentially a large room that students who live in the dorm rooms on that floor have a place to hang out, do their work, watch TV, play games outside of your own room. Dorm rooms are rather small, and you will have a roommate. So going out into the common room allows you a bit more freedom from being confined in your space.

Most common rooms will also come with a kitchen, so if you don't eat dining hall food (which the food can be good if it's not a weekday or a weekend) you will have a place to cook.

how the transition from living with your parents, assuming you hadn't moved to an apt before going to college, to living with strangers was.

It's really not that bad. If you've been pampered, then it may be a culture shock. You will also notice a lot of newfound freedom. There's no such thing as a curfew or waking up too late when you live away from home, but you still have to balance out classwork with your social life.
You make me smile!

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
A lot of information

Thanks for the reply!
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

TheAwesomeBuilder

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:47:35 AM »
I somewhat enjoyed collage, I made good friends too. :)