Author Topic:  Fusion Rocket  (Read 650 times)

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
Fusion Rocket
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
Well, we've done it, folks. Researches say they're on their way to building a fusion engine to rocket a, well, rocket, to Mars in 30 days.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-04/fusion-rocket-idea-would-shoot-people-mars
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9238238/NASA_backed_fusion_rocket_aims_for_human_Mars_mission

I find this extraordinary. If they can complete it, and can send us to Mars and beyond that fast, I will be amazed. What makes it better is that I might still be alive by then. What do all you forum roamers think of this?
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

crazybobl

• <Insert witty comment here>
  • Awards Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fusion Rocket
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
This is great! Maybe Mars One (http://mars-one.com/en/) will be able to follow through with their plans after all.

I hate how people think the Earth is stable enough to sustain our growing numbers forever. When you have so many people all in one place, the odds of something wiping us all out increases dramatically which is why it is so necessary that scientists get funds for projects like these.
-crazybobl

KUi Klutch

• Legendary Member
  • Życie jest trudne, mimo wszystko, to cię zabije.
  • Awards 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Former MotM winners Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 3 years on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Zz Klann zZ
  • Steam: KUi Klutch
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
This is great! Maybe Mars One (http://mars-one.com/en/) will be able to follow through with their plans after all.

I hate how people think the Earth is stable enough to sustain our growing numbers forever. When you have so many people all in one place, the odds of something wiping us all out increases dramatically which is why it is so necessary that scientists get funds for projects like these.
HOLY MACAROLI! The moon, now Mars. This is amazing! Also, bobl we're going to have to go underground, lol. jk

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
The Mars One program probably could work off from this. The only problem is the cost. It doesn't say how much the Deuterium Plasma costs, or how much the theoretical engine would cost overall. I think if NASA, the future presidents of America, Mars One, and all the other new companies starting up to bring space to the wealthier people, are serious, we can achieve.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

crazybobl

• <Insert witty comment here>
  • Awards Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:29:39 PM »
The Apollo program was very expensive as well. The reason it got the funding was because of the support the American people gave it. Enthusiasm for space exploration has pretty much all evaporated since then which is unfortunate, but with proper marketing it could be a possibility. Mars one might have the solution. Reality shows are popular, right? Well, that's how they plan to fund it and raise awareness: by creating a reality show about their Mars colony.
But don't tell me the money just isn't there. The U.S spends more money per year on air conditioning for overseas troops than on N.A.S.A.
-crazybobl

warhelios

• Respect The Sonic!
  • Awards 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »
This is freaking cool!

from computerworld.com

The team has created a system in which a powerful magnetic field causes large metal rings to implode around the plasma, compressing it to a fusion state, to power the rocket. The converging rings merge to form a shell that ignites the fusion, but only for a few microseconds.

The fusion reactions quickly heat and ionize the shell. This super-heated, ionized metal is ejected out of the rocket nozzle at a high velocity, the university explained. This process is repeated every minute or so, propelling the spacecraft at high speeds.

That is some amazing tech!

This makes me wonder what kind of propulsion the military have been working on over the years, if this is from civilians. It's rumored the military top secret tech is at least 50 years ahead of civilian tech.  When I say civilian, I mean tech open and known to the public.

I love science! Thanks for the post demman, great find! :)

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »
@Warhelios, not going to lie, I mainly sit around all day reading new science articles. It was a nice find for me. Found it from here- http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-04/week-numbers  There's a lot of interesting articles on that site. The article I linked you to has the big stuff from recent news.

@Bobl, I never doubted that we could fund it. Heck, we could probably use a similar based technique to generate energy for the country. I found it funny that in a game I play, OGame, deuterium is used for energy and space travel. Never knew it was a real substance. I'll be researching that now. Anyways, I hope the plans for Mars get more mainstream attention. Right now it seems more like us nerds supporting it. As of right now, due to the budgets and all this mix up in government right now, NASA can't even do public teaching classes, give the public updates(unless breaking news, I believe), and do a lot of other activities they've been doing to help the public be thrilled about space. In my opinion, if more money went to science, in the long run more money would be made than elsewhere.

I would love to see a tv show like that. Would be very interesting to watch in my opinion. I would love to see some bigger networks such as ABC, NBC, etc pick it up, instead of airing on the Science Channel.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »
Found a site explaining how fusion propulsion works. Pretty interesting.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fusion-propulsion.htm
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

Pride

• Legendary Member
  • A new begining
  • Awards 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Denied Pride
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
realy?, thats pretty enteresting...Hope this happens in my life time