Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Agar.io (Browser Game) (Very Addictive)  (Read 4691 times)

FatbFFA

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • ::)
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy
Agar.io (Browser Game) (Very Addictive)
« on: June 04, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »

Website
http://agar.io/

About
Agar.io is a browser-based game where the player must increase the size of of their own circular cell by engulfing other playerís cells. The game is notable for its simple addictive gameplay. It gets its name from Agar, a substance found in cell walls of certain algae.

Agar.io was originally created by a user of 4chanís /v/ (Video Games) board where it was first posted on April 28, 2015.The domain name Agar.io was registered the same day, after it was proposed by an anonymous poster.The game was submitted to Steam Greenlight on May 3, where it was promptly approved.
Gameplay
In Agar.io, the player is a cell with the objective of growing larger by engulfing pellets (Agar) as well as other players. The player can split into smaller cells by pressing the space bar or colliding with viruses. The player can also shoot parts of their cell at other players by pressing W. Players can apply a skin to their cells by selecting certain hidden keywords as their nickname, including Doge, Wojak, 4chan, 8chan (under 8ch), and 9gag.

As of May 11th, a new game mode was added where players can play on teams instead of free for all. The players are divided into three teams where cells of the same color cannot be engulfed. The leaderboard in this mode was removed in favor of a pie chart showing the three teams total mass. Skins are disabled for this mode.

Controls

W-You can eject your mass to other players and get them bigger or use it to lure em in and eat them.

Space bar-This is use to spit yourself in 2-4-6-8.etc and this is a tactic used for eating people.

Mouse-just put your cursor in the direction you want to go and it will go.

Funny
A lot of people get eaten by bigger blobs but this is what Craig typed to me...

Craig [04|Jun 02:09 AM]:i just got swallowed by i am an idiot

The Gold Knight [04|Jun 02:24 AM]:   I just was eaten by a banana. 10/10

As many W's as possible

• Supreme Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
Re: Agar.io (Browser Game) (Very Addictive)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:41:36 AM »
I started playing this today. Only name I use is USSR. Everyone gets swallowed by USSR. USSR is stronk like Tsar's morning Borscht. Funny when Earth is swallowed by USSR. Funny when USSR swallowed real parts of USSR.

Muffin

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: RawrMeMuffinMan
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:55:12 AM »
That's a good hour of my life I will never get back... :P
I was number two in my game untill Hitler's lemon ate me...

http://prntscr.com/dqrw9s
The Gold Knight [08|Dec 09:11 PM]: I'm sorry, but I speak English... A language that has coherent thoughts that can be understood.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
This is a great game on many levels.

It doesn't even need fancy graphics, the game play is so good.

There is a Free for All game mode and a Team game mode. Both game modes have quite different dynamics. Unfortunately players have started to take over the FFA servers with teaming, which is slowly ruining the game because the maps are not big enough to support it.

If the devs were able to make the maps considerably bigger (at least 16 times bigger) the game would be epic.

FatbFFA

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »

There is a Free for All game mode and a Team game mode. Both game modes have quite different dynamics. Unfortunately players have started to take over the FFA servers with teaming, which is slowly ruining the game because the maps are not big enough to support it.

If the devs were able to make the maps considerably bigger (at least 16 times bigger) the game would be epic.
doesn't seem hard it's a browser game also I think the didn't prepare for this big of a community

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »

I'm experiencing lag with the current lobby sizes, so I imagine making them larger would cause more problems on that end.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

FatbFFA

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »
I'm experiencing lag with the current lobby sizes, so I imagine making them larger would cause more problems on that end.
I've seen on older computers its can keep up but when I go to my big PC it runs smoothly

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
Without programming a similar game I can only speculate, but yes I suspect the limited map size is due to bandwidth. If that is the case, I think some smart spatial management could possibly reduce bandwidth enough to allow bigger maps, but yeah the question could only be answered by actually trying to do it.

doesn't seem hard it's a browser game also I think the didn't prepare for this big of a community
I don't see how being a browser game would make any difference or make it any easier. Also if the problem is bandwidth, the number of current players in a game instance is the telling factor, not the size of the community.

Muffin

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: RawrMeMuffinMan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 03:09:11 PM »
I also haven't noticed a maximum amount of players that can join a lobby, as I have been in some very large games and friends have been able to refresh enough times to join. It seems I only spike in lag when there are other large blobs around me so I am guessing the client side doesn't load other people until you are close enough to see them or something.

http://prntscr.com/dqrw9s
The Gold Knight [08|Dec 09:11 PM]: I'm sorry, but I speak English... A language that has coherent thoughts that can be understood.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »
On this game, when I was a single blob, I was so big, by the time a virus came into view, it was too late to avoid being split.

FFA is too boring for me now, it's too easy to get to #1 or #2, and then it's not interesting because my movement is so restricted.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:39:52 AM by Craig »