Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic: [Scripts] Considering a new script syntax  (Read 11643 times)

Faint of Clubs

• View Profile
  • Xbox: Faintcub7332217
Re: Considering a new script syntax
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 01:49:29 AM »
I'm a bit frightened by this honestly, as i have one main question:
What of the maps that we scripted for months, to be masterpieces?.. Would they be useless? Or would the old scripts still read exactly as before?

If the old scripts read exactly as before i love the plan.
If this would make the dedicated scripters maps obsolete i would be done with the game... (Not in a dramatic sense, just my current map is meant to be my masterpiece scriptwise, i would have no interest in starting fresh)

I just hope you arent overlooking the dedicated longtime players to make things easier for new players (who often come and go).
Could you clarify?

(Sorry, i suppose it's normal to be skeptic about that which you do not understand)
That guy with dem scripts.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 02:47:35 AM »
Naturally if I was to do something like this, I'd convert existing scripts to the new syntax, so you wouldn't have to worry it'll break your scripts and you wouldn't have to write them again.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:50:09 AM by Craig »

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 02:49:39 AM »
Hmm, it would take some time to get used to it but it may work out pretty well. What you should do is have a option to use either the classic scripts or the new one.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 02:51:20 AM »
Hmm, it would take some time to get used to it but it may work out pretty well. What you should do is have a option to use either the classic scripts or the new one.
No, it's one or the other. One of the main drivers for the change is to make the script compiler easier to program. So there's no way I'll be supporting both.

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 02:53:11 AM »
No, it's one or the other. One of the main drivers for the change is to make the script compiler easier to program. So there's no way I'll be supporting both.
Alright, I can live with that. Just as long as it actually does successfully transform our current scripts as you said it would.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 02:58:04 AM »
Alright, I can live with that. Just as long as it actually does successfully transform our current scripts as you said it would.
The conversion would be done with the utmost care. I can't guarantee there will be no bugs on initial release, but we will do our best. One option may be to support both syntaxes on the initial release, and then phase out the old, but that also has it's complications.

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:00:48 AM »
The conversion would be done with the utmost care. I can't guarantee there will be no bugs on initial release, but we will do our best. One option may be to support both syntaxes on the initial release, and then phase out the old, but that also has it's complications.
Well of course there's going to be bugs, I just hope that a major one doesn't slip past your eye and mess up 200 scripts in one world, but I have confidence that things will work smoothly.

Faint of Clubs

• View Profile
  • Xbox: Faintcub7332217
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:22:40 AM »

Ah i'm sorry i didnt read all the replies. Thanks alot craig! I support any decision you make, as you clearly know what's best for the game :)
That guy with dem scripts.

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »
Quick question, is this the "simplier" version of scripts compared to the classic scripts?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 06:03:09 AM »
Quick question, is this the "simplier" version of scripts compared to the classic scripts?
?