Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  A Dark Room (Browser Based Game)  (Read 930 times)

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
  • My Forgeplex is better ;)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
  • Other: 何
A Dark Room (Browser Based Game)
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:07:51 AM »
A Dark Room
What is A Dark Room?
It is a browser based minimalist game, developed by Doublespeak Games, and inspired by the game Candy Box

Hello everybody, today I'd like to share with you an amazing game that I found while browsing the internet. It's kind of like a text based rpg, except that you don't actually do any typing, rather, you are given options to select from. You start off in a dark room. The very first thing you can do, is light up the room. As you progress, more options are revealed to you, and you later get to explore the world. There are even randomized events. What you do from there is up to you, since I'd rather not explain further since doing so would ruin an amazing experience.

For a game with nothing more than text based visuals, it is extremely atmospheric, and draws you in. I loved it from the very start.

Link to the game: A Dark Room

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
Re: A Dark Room (Browser Based Game)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:43:01 AM »
It's a very good game.

But from a game developers point of view, it's pure genius.

The biggest obstacles that stop game developers from implementing their ideas into a game are the art, graphics, user interface and audio.

And this concept just does away with all those obstacles in one fell swoop.

Pure genius. Any budding game developer ought to take this concept and run with it to make some games they want to make. It will allow you to concentrate on implementing your gameplay idea's, without all the other hassles getting in the way. What more could you want? I love it.

You could even build a game using this idea, and once the gameplay is solid, start adding some graphics, art, some audio and a steadily improving user interface. For example, if I was the maker of Dark Room, the next thing I'd do is add simple tile graphics for the map.

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
It's a very good game.

But from a game developers point of view, it's pure genius.

The biggest obstacles that stop game developers from implementing their ideas into a game are the art, graphics, user interface and audio.

And this concept just does away with all those obstacles in one fell swoop.

Pure genius. Any budding game developer ought to take this concept and run with it to make some games they want to make. It will allow you to concentrate on implementing your gameplay idea's, without all the other hassles getting in the way. What more could you want? I love it.

You could even build a game using this idea, and once the gameplay is solid, start adding some graphics, art, some audio and a steadily improving user interface. For example, if I was the maker of Dark Room, the next thing I'd do is add simple tile graphics for the map.
One of the reasons I so thoroughly enjoyed it was because of its lack of graphics/audio. I liked how the dev made it work without distracting/over-the-top additions for visuals. It did exactly as it was supposed to do, and did it fantastically. Maybe it's giving you some ideas for one of the arcade machines. ;)

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »
I gave this a go last night, I fell in love with it

It reminds me of a good book I think and, for some reason I became invested in it emotionally right from the get go.

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »
I gave this a go last night, I fell in love with it

It reminds me of a good book I think and, for some reason I became invested in it emotionally right from the get go.
That was pretty much what happened with me. The second you encounter the first other person, I was hooked.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner

FatbFFA

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • ::)
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: DiamondBack662
  • Steam: DiamondBack662
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was a great text based game.. can even still be played today on the interweb...

The latestest has added a few basic graphics..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-game-30th-anniversary-edition

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was a great text based game.. can even still be played today on the interweb...

The latestest has added a few basic graphics..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-game-30th-anniversary-edition

Tried it out. Died in 5 turns. I think I'm a professional now.