Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  [How to] Building your own gaming PC?  (Read 16015 times)

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
Re: [How to] Building your own gaming PC?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
Basically, if you want something to be faster, stick it on an SSD (OS, games, etc.). I wouldn't recommend putting huge files on one, as they usually have a smaller amount of space than an HDD.
If you were to guesstimate, how big would the file have to be to fit under that category of 'Huge?' Just so I know for future reference. I believe only games would really go there for me.

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »
If you were to guesstimate, how big would the file have to be to fit under that category of 'Huge?' Just so I know for future reference. I believe only games would really go there for me.
I'd put only things under about 8GB - 12GB in an SSD. I suppose that could differ depending on the size of your SSD (mine is only 256GB).
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:13:49 AM »
Just posting my potential new comp specs here to get peoples opinion on it before i buy it.

(Optional) means it had different options originally but i changed them to what they are now.
4.0GHz Intel Core i7 4790 Quad Core / Eight Threaded Turbo Processor (Optional)
memory: 16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz (Optional)
Hard drive: 2TB Hard Drive + 120GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda & Kingston V300 (Optional)
Graphics: Intel HD 4600
Onboard intel HD graphics: 2GB EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 Graphics Card (Was optional)
6 USB ports :)
Warrenty: 3Years

Main thing im deciding on is if i should have a 2TB hard-drive with a 120GB SDD or just get a 2TB and save myself 50 quid as i do not understand much on a SDD.
Price around 630 pounds > 950 dollar

Took me quite awhile to research everything before i came up with this set-up so feedback needed, im not building it so it has limited options and as far as price goes i do not want to spend any more then this.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:38:18 AM »
Just posting my potential new comp specs here to get peoples opinion on it before i buy it.

(Optional) means it had different options originally but i changed them to what they are now.
4.0GHz Intel Core i7 4790 Quad Core / Eight Threaded Turbo Processor (Optional)
memory: 16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz (Optional)
Hard drive: 2TB Hard Drive + 120GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda & Kingston V300 (Optional)
Graphics: Intel HD 4600
Onboard intel HD graphics: 2GB EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 Graphics Card (Was optional)
6 USB ports :)
Warrenty: 3Years

Main thing im deciding on is if i should have a 2TB hard-drive with a 120GB SDD or just get a 2TB and save myself 50 quid as i do not understand much on a SDD.
Price around 630 pounds > 950 dollar

Took me quite awhile to research everything before i came up with this set-up so feedback needed, im not building it so it has limited options and as far as price goes i do not want to spend any more then this.

From what I understand an SSD is, more or less, optional. Mostly you just need those eight components I posted above, and if you have extra money to spend, use it on an SSD. Otherwise, I'd opt out until you got your rig optimized at the specs you want. As far as the rest, I am still learning myself, so I cannot rightly say what's what.

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
From what I understand an SSD is, more or less, optional. Mostly you just need those eight components I posted above, and if you have extra money to spend, use it on an SSD. Otherwise, I'd opt out until you got your rig optimized at the specs you want. As far as the rest, I am still learning myself, so I cannot rightly say what's what.
Thanks for the info on the sdd, from my understanding it is not that usefull considering their size, they are alot quicker at reading/righting and have an average life of around 150 years, but they can not be repeaired easily.
However you pay 3x more per gig then you do with a normal HDD.
so ima probly skip it and go for a 3TB instead of 2TB and a small SDD, and it comes out around 30 quid cheaper.

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:49 AM »
Thanks for the info on the sdd, from my understanding it is not that usefull considering their size, they are alot quicker at reading/righting and have an average life of around 150 years, but they can not be repeaired easily.
However you pay 3x more per gig then you do with a normal HDD.
so ima probly skip it and go for a 3TB instead of 2TB and a small SDD, and it comes out around 30 quid cheaper.
While it is optional, and some may consider it unnecessary,
I'd still reccomend even a super small SSD (~60GB) just for the OS. It will not only boot faster, but will also make generally everything you do with your OS faster. What would usually take me about 45 secs to fully boot the desktop without an SSD takes me around 15 secs with one.
It's nice if you're impatient, like me ;)
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 03:36:45 AM »
I'd still reccomend even a super small SSD (~60GB) just for the OS. It will not only boot faster, but will also make generally everything you do with your OS faster. What would usually take me about 45 secs to fully boot the desktop without an SSD takes me around 15 secs with one.
I would too. But I'd recommend a 100GB SSD. It not only makes rebooting very fast, but there are a lot of O/S files that are constantly being read from during normal operation of the PC and the faster these files can be read, the faster everything else runs. The registry is the best example. I'd always go with an SSD now, it really helps.

If you do go with the SDD, because they are usually 100GB or less, it's very important not to fill it up with software installs. The OS really needs a good 50GB free on the SSD to maximize performacne.

The SSD is usually partitioned as the C:.
So whenever you install software on the PC (other than windows itself), always change the install drive to your standard HDD (usually D:), so the SSD is not filled up unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:39:53 AM by Craig »

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 03:48:25 AM »
I would too
Does it make a noticeable different in every day tasks, im not impatient enough to want to shave off a few secs of the boot up, so with that in mind is it still worth getting a 120GB SDD? If so ill get a 2TB + 120 SDD instead of a 3TB HDD

Also machine will be mainly used for HD editing/recording, my current comp does it fine now but im sure a comp 4-5 times better will make everything run alot smoother, Atleast thats what im hoping for XD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:52:26 AM by Clerical »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 03:54:25 AM »
Does it make a noticeable different in every day tasks
I updated my post with more details, but in short, yes it does also help with normal running.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 04:08:58 AM »
I would too. But I'd recommend a 100GB SSD. It not only makes rebooting very fast, but there are a lot of O/S files that are constantly being read from during normal operation of the PC and the faster these files can be read, the faster everything else runs. The registry is the best example. I'd always go with an SSD now, it really helps.

If you do go with the SDD, because they are usually 100GB or less, it's very important not to fill it up with software installs. The OS really needs a good 50GB free on the SSD to maximize performacne.

The SSD is usually partitioned as the C:.
So whenever you install software on the PC (other than windows itself), always change the install drive to your standard HDD (usually D:), so the SSD is not filled up unnecessarily.
So even though an SSD is optional, it likely will help the O/S in every way as far as speed and boot speed. But, as you posted, you should always leave about half of the memory open to maximize the performance? (I.e since the SSD you mentioned was 100gb and you mentioned leaving about 50 gb free for the O/S) So since it is optional, if it's a first time computer being built...it wouldn't be detrimental to leave it out until more funds can be spent on a good one? I do want an SSD for my rig eventually, but I would rather span the price over a period of time. Rather than spending a large sum all at once.