Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  [How to] Building your own gaming PC?  (Read 17621 times)

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
Re: [How to] Building your own gaming PC?
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2016, 03:23:35 AM »
Dark Souls Reference: So basically going higher than I5 4960 is like boosting Vitality to 99. After level 50-ish there is just no point as it does nothing, right? lol
In dark souls you still get like 2 health after lv 50, Upgrading from an 15 4960 to even an i7 5820k will only somtimes give you 1 frame.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »
In dark souls you still get like 2 health after lv 50, Upgrading from an 15 4960 to even an i7 5820k will only somtimes give you 1 frame.

Even so, I don't think my first custom rig will be OVER THE TOP right away. Need something functional first and foremost, then I'll start really tinkering more.

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »

It does depend on the game sometimes but this is correct, most games barely scale past 4 cores except for very heavy multithreaded ones like GTA V, Battlefield 4 (multiplayer) you can also choice to get a cheaper xeon e3 1231 which is a 4core hyperthreaded chip (essentially the I7 4770 without an igp) thats the silicone its based off. It's useful if you video edit or play those games where every extra thread helps and costs less than an i7.

In most cases an i5 4690k or the i5 6500k (not sure on the skylake models off the top of my head) overclocked is really the best option for gaming becuase you get basically the best singlethreaded performance and also very solid multithreaded performance.

Before someone says Xeons arent for gaming, that depends on the xeon you are talking about :P theres $25000 models and $300 models.

Thats what I chose to power my rig, its the same 1150 socket as the i7 4790 so if I really wanted to I could upgrade to that but the performance gain wouldn't be worth it.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »
Jack's Gaming Rig(Beginning)

Below is what I've decided to stick with, but with a minor adjustment I will mention at the bottom.

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ($90)

CPU

AMD FX-6300 6-Core ($100)

RAM

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz ($65)

Graphics Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB ($210)

Hard Drive

WD Blue 1 TB ($50)

Optical Drive

Asus 24x DVD Burner ($21)

Case

Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower ($57)

Power Supply

Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ($58)

Total Cost: $651 (USD)

===================================================================

Graphics Card(Change)
Instead of an EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB I may get this EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti with G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit, Dual-Link, DVI-I, HDMI, DP Graphics Card as it runs almost as good for about 70 bucks cheaper.

Modified Total Cost: $580.99 (USD)

Found out, with my modified Graphics Card and the prices on Amazon, the total would be around $555.44 USD. Which is not bad from the supposed power and capabilities of this PC.

Another possible, slightly altered build:

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ($68)

CPU

AMD FX-6300 6-Core Black Edition ($100)

RAM

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz ($37)

Graphics Card

Gigabyte AMD R9 380 4GB ($210)

Hard Drive

WD Blue 1 TB ($54)

Case

Rosewill Galaxy-01 ATX Mid Tower ($45)

Power Supply

EVGA 600 B1 80+ Bronze (600W) ($45)

DVD Drive

Asus 24x DVD Burner ($23)

Total Cost: $582 (USD)

Debating on which one to follow through with. Any thoughts?

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2016, 07:28:21 AM »
I'd recommend the i3 over the fx 6300 personally, the platform also has an upgrade path to an i7 for example.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QbRGvK

I skipped out the dvd drive, so if you want that just add it on :) prefer sapphire video cards myself and gigabytes amd cards have all been fairly meh recently.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
I'd recommend the i3 over the fx 6300 personally, the platform also has an upgrade path to an i7 for example.
It would still be compatible with this build though, right?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QbRGvK

I skipped out the dvd drive, so if you want that just add it on :) prefer sapphire video cards myself and gigabytes amd cards have all been fairly meh recently.

Okay, thanks Kitty! I'll check into alternative cards over the ones up there and see if any are better off. All I want to do is find a decent compatible set for this rig. I can save money, but at the same time I can play all the games I want on PC with no power/memory/graphics issues. ^-^

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »
I've been doing my own research on this recently and the general consensus is that if you're just going to be gaming then you'd be better off with the i5. Maybe just an i3.

But if you're going to be streaming as well as gaming on the same rig or you're going to be converting video then the FX 6300 (6-core) or if you can, the FX 8320 or FX 8320e (8-core) will start becoming the better choice due to the extra cores.

With the AMD CPUs, in single threaded operations the FX 6300 will be better as it has a higher stock clock speed (3.5Ghz). But with multi-threaded operations the FX 8320 wins out due to it's extra two cores. It might only have a 3.2Ghz clock speed but this can easily be overclocked to 4Ghz and higher. Most people have it stable at 4.6Ghz. But as Kitty says, The FX and AMD has a severely limited upgrade path.

Be careful with benchmarks as i can run Bioshock Infinite, Fallout 4 and most other new games at 1080p on max settings @ 60+fps with only an AMD x3 (tri-core) processor @ 4Ghz and a 2GB Gddr5 GPU. Which shows that benchmarks can sometimes be misleading as this rig is far from the most powerful but doesn't even break a sweat when it comes to the mentioned games.

When it comes to fps anything above 30fps (depending on the game) should be satisfactory. The higher the better of course but I think you would be hard pressed to notice the difference on anything higher than 60fps.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
I've been doing my own research on this recently and the general consensus is that if you're just going to be gaming then you'd be better off with the i5. Maybe just an i3.
Yes, nothing but purely gaming and MAYBE browsing the web as usual. Nothing much else.

But if you're going to be streaming as well as gaming on the same rig or you're going to be converting video then the FX 6300 (6-core) or if you can, the FX 8320 or FX 8320e (8-core) will start becoming the better choice due to the extra cores.
I'm pretty old school as far as this goes. I just need it for gaming mostly, and small applications elsewhere. Internet browsing and video playing I.e DVD's/Blu-Ray.

With the AMD CPUs, in single threaded operations the FX 6300 will be better as it has a higher stock clock speed (3.5Ghz). But with multi-threaded operations the FX 8320 wins out due to it's extra two cores. It might only have a 3.2Ghz clock speed but this can easily be overclocked to 4Ghz and higher. Most people have it stable at 4.6Ghz. But as Kitty says, The FX and AMD has a severely limited upgrade path.
I am more of a casual gamer, I play often but not at a Semi-Pro to Pr level. Overclocking won't be necessary. But thank you, I will look into others.

Be careful with benchmarks as i can run Bioshock Infinite, Fallout 4 and most other new games at 1080p on max settings @ 60+fps with only an AMD x3 (tri-core) processor @ 4Ghz and a 2GB Gddr5 GPU. Which shows that benchmarks can sometimes be misleading as this rig is far from the most powerful but doesn't even break a sweat when it comes to the mentioned games.

When it comes to fps anything above 30fps (depending on the game) should be satisfactory. The higher the better of course but I think you would be hard pressed to notice the difference on anything higher than 60fps.
Frames Per Second are generally not a bother for me. I tend to just enjoy if the game isn't squares or side scroll anymore.  HD is nice but also unnecessary. lol But thank you for your input, I will definitely investigate more before purchasing. :)

Muffin

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: RawrMeMuffinMan
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »
Going to be needing a new computer soon, and I have been looking into building one for cheap.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6wZs6h
Thoughts so far? I'm willing to spend ~$60 more if needed, but not trying to pass $450.
Not really looking to be able to play all the new games on ultra settings, but would be nice to know if this could run some of them on medium settings. (GTA V, Fallout 4, ect)

http://prntscr.com/dqrw9s
The Gold Knight [08|Dec 09:11 PM]: I'm sorry, but I speak English... A language that has coherent thoughts that can be understood.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2016, 01:51:06 AM »
Going to be needing a new computer soon, and I have been looking into building one for cheap.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6wZs6h
Thoughts so far? I'm willing to spend ~$60 more if needed, but not trying to pass $450.
Not really looking to be able to play all the new games on ultra settings, but would be nice to know if this could run some of them on medium settings. (GTA V, Fallout 4, ect)

That setup should run the mentioned games fine.

I've not looked into it in great detail but at first glance i would suggest using 2x4GB Ram to use dual channel for faster access.

Also consider spending a little extra on a decent PSU with more power. Around 600W should be fine. I'd suggest a reputable brand like Corsair or Silverstone, even if you go over your budget. The PSU is one of, if not the most important component and you don't want to be using a cheap crappy brand. Especially not with decent components like your CPU and GPU.