Author Topic:  Scripting Interface Overhaul  (Read 592 times)

#

• I don't do much here.
  • Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: HellomeZodoz
Scripting Interface Overhaul
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
If you're like me, you can find it pretty tedious to script at times. Especially when creating Zone or Mob scripts, the length it takes to scroll left can be unbearable. What I suggest is that the interface be changed so it is easier to navigate the lines of script.

What I propose is that each line be split up into multiple parts. Here is a picture to help demonstrate what I am saying:

Each different color is represented by a different section. Instead of editing the whole line of the code, you would edit each separate section. You can move down the lines like normal by pressing down on the D-Pad or thumbstick, but if you press left or right, you can navigate the different sections of the line. If you would to select the message section (green) of the notify script, it would access the keyboard so you can edit that one section alone. For the Local|Global section (Blue), the same thing can apply or better yet, a drop down menu or message box comes up so you can select which one you want for easier access. 

Now if we look at the SetBlock command, the red section would just open up the keyboard so you can type in the coordinates, or possibly even allow you to paste your last prospected blocks coordinates directly into that section. The block section (Purple) can open up a block selection screen sort of like selecting a texture. This would make it easier for selecting blocks without necessarily knowing the spelling (*cough cough* Mysterio *cough cough*) or any other sort of confusion someone may have. It would look something like this:

I know this is a lot of work, and I don't expect it to be added anytime soon, but I do believe this will help make the scripts easier to create and more user-friendly to new scripters.

HiiPiie

• Eat Acid. HiiPiie. Eat Acid. Lowcakee. Eat Acid.
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=79caf5s9i4jm9b6f2rhf4ilfi1&topic=2300.msg24140#msg24140
    • Awards
  • Xbox: xSo HiiPiie
  • PSN: Breezy_O
  • Steam: The_Real_HiiPiie
Re: Scripting Interface Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »
I Agree. This would make things so much more simple.

"Follow the path of justice and receive hate, but follow the path of evil and you'll go down in history."
. - HiiPiie

SARKASIST

• My name is George.
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: SARKASIST
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
This would make it easier for selecting blocks without necessarily knowing the spelling (*cough cough* Mysterio *cough cough*) or any other sort of confusion someone may have.

#SpelChekfourTotolminer  :-*
Ignorance Is Bliss

Zoidberg

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Awarded to exemplary forum members 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: v Zoidberg v
  • Steam: v_Zoidberg_v
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:22:14 AM »
Something like this would undoubtedly make writing Scripts more user friendly (especially for players that are inexperienced with Scripts), as well as reduce the time needed to write some Scripts (especially with the Xbox 360 keyboard).

possibly even allow you to paste your last prospected blocks coordinates directly into that section.

This would be particularly useful, since typing coordinates is often the most tedious part of writing Scripts.

The block section (Purple) can open up a block selection screen sort of like selecting a texture. This would make it easier for selecting blocks without necessarily knowing the spelling or any other sort of confusion someone may have.

My only concern with this is not being able to find the block you're looking for, especially for the [item] parameter within the Inventory and HasInventory commands, since every item in the game would have to be within that menu. However, if there was still an option to type in the item name, the items were listed in alphabetical order, or perhaps if there was a search bar of some sort, then this would be extremely useful.

Snapchat Please

• Im AFK Right now. Lel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Mr Aye Eff Kay
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:44:40 PM »
Separating the Scripts into different sections definitely would make things more simple as to being able to do one thing at a time. I think the color coordination is a very nifty and exquisite idea, in which you could edit only certain things at a time. I also like the idea of the option for a block screen to show up and the last prospected block having the ability to be saved in the [x,y,z]. I think that these changes to scripting could making it more simple for newcomers and those who will be getting Total Miner when it is released to the PC. Very good Idea!  :)

Atlas Telamon

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:00:09 AM »
I think there should be an "easy script" feature that works something like this, but still have this as the main way to script

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
Good idea, Hastag. I'd like this in-game. It can be rather tedious, as you said, to write all those lines of scripts. x_x