Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  PC Questions da agy asks! ^_^  (Read 2781 times)

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Agykoo
PC Questions da agy asks! ^_^
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »
Hello, looking to upgrade an old pc to a new one.

This wont be my personal pc. But I would like it to be nice'ish still.

Some things:

Its not going to be a gaming pc.
So what level of processor do I need? I-5?

Do not need to do video rendering, nor any video capture of games.

Amount of ram?
Again its not a gaming pc, but its going to be running a bunch of programs. My personal experiences have shown 12g to be a joke any more. Should I go for 16g?

Graphics card?
While not a gaming PC, I personally dislike integrated graphics cards.
Would it be worth it still to get a graphics card? If so what navida one would I look at? (no hate please, I never have had an issue with navida and love it).

Custom built?
Just looking around checked dell out. They are worse then I remember. lot more expensive, and a heck of a lot less customization.
I am confident in my Lego I mean um computer building skills. As I have built my own last 2 personal computers.
Do you think it would be a much better idea to simply get the parts my self? I know for gaming it is, but what about a none gaming computer?

Windows 7 vs windows 8.1
Here's a fun one that's sure to cause trouble. While I know and trust windows 7. I have read they ended mainstream support for it already (evil microshaft). While I know that's not the end of the world, nor even a huge deal. But I also don't find windows 8.1 to be that bad (aside form having to finagal it to make certain games run).
Should I just go with windows 8.1?

Any thing I am missing?
Any new technology or neat things I am missing? Heard something about USB 3.0.
Stuff like that that I should be looking into or for?

Monitors
Does any one have a suggestion on monitors? A single screen is fine.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Thank you ^_^
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
Re: PC Questions da agy asks! ^_^
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
I'm not the greatest with hardware, but I'll try to give you some accurate information.

So what level of processor do I need? I-5?

I'd go with i5, if you're specifically going for an Intel CPU.

Amount of ram?
Again its not a gaming pc, but its going to be running a bunch of programs. My personal experiences have shown 12g to be a joke any more. Should I go for 16g?

From past experience, I've seen that you don't really need over 8GB unless you're doing gaming/rendering/video capture.

Graphics card?
While not a gaming PC, I personally dislike integrated graphics cards.
Would it be worth it still to get a graphics card? If so what navida one would I look at? (no hate please, I never have had an issue with navida and love it).

If you don't want an integrated graphics card, and you don't plan on using the PC for much gaming, maybe take a look at the GeForce GT 730 or the Radeon R7 240. I'm not very great with graphics cards though. Try comparing the performances of different ones with  site like http://www.futuremark.com/.

Custom built?

Yes. It will be much cheaper.

Windows 7 vs windows 8.1

This one really just matters on your preference. I've heard W8 loads faster, but I still prefer the look/feel of W7.

Any thing I am missing?
Any new technology or neat things I am missing? Heard something about USB 3.0.
Stuff like that that I should be looking into or for?
Head over to http://www.newegg.com to check up on some of the latest hardware. They have some really great deals. Again, I'm not super great with hardware (I'm more of a software kind of guy), so I'd check with some other people before taking my advice  ;)

EDIT: I forgot to add - it would be more helpful if you post your budget and what you WOULD be running on the PC.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:08:06 PM by MrMarooca »
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
You would need to let everyone know what you actually plan to do on it Agy. If it is for simple web browsing and not much else everything you listed goes above and beyond what you actually need. At that level you are better off buying retail models instead of custom building, especially if you can find refurbished PCs. When looking below a price range of $500 you will find that a lot of the stuff you are looking at will cost around the same as if you were going to custom build it anyway. In my opinion you only want to custom build if you are going above that price range or are tailoring your PC to your specific needs. Otherwise it is not worth it.

I still don't understand how you are using 12gb of RAM. Currently my PC has 8gb DDR3. At most it hit 25% usage with plenty of stuff going on. You need to have a look at what exactly is killing your RAM and research why it is doing so. Something there is very wrong.

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
You would need to let everyone know what you actually plan to do on it Agy. If it is for simple web browsing and not much else everything you listed goes above and beyond what you actually need. At that level you are better off buying retail models instead of custom building, especially if you can find refurbished PCs. When looking below a price range of $500 you will find that a lot of the stuff you are looking at will cost around the same as if you were going to custom build it anyway. In my opinion you only want to custom build if you are going above that price range or are tailoring your PC to your specific needs. Otherwise it is not worth it.

I still don't understand how you are using 12gb of RAM. Currently my PC has 8gb DDR3. At most it hit 25% usage with plenty of stuff going on. You need to have a look at what exactly is killing your RAM and research why it is doing so. Something there is very wrong.

This pretty much sums it up, I do however just want to mention about the Windows 7/8.1 topic though. If you plan on upgrading to Windows 10 when that launches later this year, it'll be free for users using Windows 7 and 8.1 so if you're not that familiar with 8.1, pick 7 if you get the choice and start new with Windows 10 later this year.

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
This pretty much sums it up, I do however just want to mention about the Windows 7/8.1 topic though. If you plan on upgrading to Windows 10 when that launches later this year, it'll be free for users using Windows 7 and 8.1 so if you're not that familiar with 8.1, pick 7 if you get the choice and start new with Windows 10 later this year.
Good advice.
I actually did not know that it would be a free upgrade. That is great news.

I would like to mention that I was against Windows 8 when it came out. My opinion on it did not change once I got my new PC and experienced first hand. The upgrade to Windows 8.1, however, changed things. It still takes a little bit of getting used to, but is not bad at all once you are. Most PCs will probably come with Windows 8.1 at this point so you will probably be forced to choose that over Windows 7. That is unless you can find a nice refurbished PC with Windows 7 still installed. Just know that Windows 8.1 is actually not that bad once you learn your way around. So if you find a newer decent PC with everything you like don't turn away from it just because you see that it uses the Windows 8.1 operating system instead of Windows 7.

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »
An i5 should be perfectly fine processor wise.

I am always confused at your insane ram usage, I have 8GB's and even when rendering i dont max it out but considering your struggling with 12GB's I'd just go for a nice 16GB kit, you don't upgrade super often so why not just go straight for it?

Well you can always get something with the same power as your GTX 460 but runs cooler so you dont lose any performance, something like a 750 ti or R9 270 would probably be perfectly fine for you if its not going to be used for any intense gaming, but say you want to play a game you wont have any problems.

Custom built?

Yeah, I really recommend building your own.

You get to choose what goes into it, make sure its all high quality and get the look you want all for cheaper usually (If you want I can help you by making a partlist if you give me a budget)

I would personally get 8.1 its so fast and I havent had a single problem with it, if you arent a fan of the start menu you can install something like "start is back" or similar so you have the start menu from 7 :)

Honestly, any modern motherboards and cases will have USB 3.0 so you don't really need to worry about that.

New technology, well you can always get an SSD for the insane read/write/boot speeds but otherwise nothing comes to mind.

hmm, what kind of screen do you want? I'd reccommend something around the 24inch range with an IPS panel :) if you have any specifics it would help.

Err hope that was informative, sorry for being late to the party!

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
tyvm all for the info ^_^

yes agy has been known for the insane ram usage ^_^..........ramming every thing...........including the gigabytes! ^_^

anywho

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: DiamondBack662
  • Steam: DiamondBack662
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
Quote from: YoungSykotic182 on Today at 01:10:12 PM<blockquote>You would need to let everyone know what you actually plan to do on it Agy. If it is for simple web browsing and not much else everything you listed goes above and beyond what you actually need. At that level you are better off buying retail models instead of custom building, especially if you can find refurbished PCs. When looking below a price range of $500 you will find that a lot of the stuff you are looking at will cost around the same as if you were going to custom build it anyway. In my opinion you only want to custom build if you are going above that price range or are tailoring your PC to your specific needs. Otherwise it is not worth it.

</blockquote>

Sound advice.
Don't spend a fortune on a PC. You don't even need to spend much for a good game machine most refurbs are high end business machines often tricked out with good drives, memory and CPUs.. add a video card and you're all set. look around a bit.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=refurbished+pc&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arefurbished+pc
Many PCs can be had for what some people want you to pay for just a Hard Drive.
Avoid the SFF (small form factor) machines as they will be tight for adding a video card.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:31:05 PM »
tyvm for the info db ^_^

anywho

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
tyvm for the info db ^_^

Keep in mind Agy your CPU (i7 930 was it) is probably faster than most of those refurbished PC's you will probably be able to at least use the ram and HDD from your previous build.

Your current rig is pretty powerful from memory, so keep that in mind when you see these "cheap" PC's.