Author Topic:  Dig Deep Aficionados!-Discussion & Guides  (Read 22499 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
Re: Dig Deep Aficionados!-Discussion & Guides
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
Yes, the values are used for every game mode. That's actually why I normalized them, so they could be used regardless of map depth.

And yes Dryym is correct, the denormalized depth ranges are actually calculated based on an offset above sea level, not the full height of the map, so sorry Jack, you're DD numbers will be slightly off if based on 3072 (rather than 3008) O_O

DigDeep = Sea level + 40 = 3008
SemiAlpine = Sea level + 40
Grasslands/Desert = Sea level + 15

e.g. If your Grasslands map sea level is 200, then the normalized depth is denormalized by multiplying it by 215. Also as non DD maps don't have depth as such, just a Y coord that starts at 0 (bedrock), you'll need to either subtract the denormalized depth from 1 first, or subtract the normalized depth from sea level + X to get the actual depth. e.g. if min/max depth = 0.1 then the calculation can be either 1.0 - 0.1 = 0.9 * 215 = 193 or 215 - (215 * 0.1) = 193.

Also the Deposit Frequencies have a multiplier:
DigDeep = 35
SemiAlpine/Grasslands/Desert = 10

e.g. there are 150 x 35 = 5250 Titanium deposits on DD worlds and 150 x 10 = 1500 Titanium deposits on SemiAlpine/Grasslands/Desert worlds.

Grasslands and Desert also have some extra deposits

Desert:
BlockID = Block.SandBrick, DepositFrequency = 150, DepositSize = 40, MaxDepth = 0.9f, MinDepth = 0
BlockID = Block.Dirt, DepositFrequency = 80, DepositSize = 30, MaxDepth = 0.4f, MinDepth = 0
BlockID = Block.Basalt, DepositFrequency = 70, DepositSize = 20, MaxDepth = 0.4f, MinDepth = 0

Grasslands
BlockID = Block.Sand, DepositFrequency = 70, DepositSize = 30, MaxDepth = 0.4f, MinDepth = 0
BlockID = Block.Basalt, DepositFrequency = 70, DepositSize = 20, MaxDepth = 0.4f, MinDepth = 0

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
And yes Dryym is correct, the denormalized depth ranges are actually calculated based on an offset above sea level, not the full height of the map, so sorry Jack, you're DD numbers will be slightly off if based on 3072 (rather than 3008)
Ah okay. Well, I'll come back in and adjust the numbers later. That way they're more accurate.

The Op is literally filled up, I can't add many more guides to it. O.o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:31:31 PM by Jack Of Shades »

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »
The Op is literally filled up, I can't add many more guides to it. O.o
Have Trub edit Reply #1 into reply #3. Have someone delete Trub's reply #1. Jack is Reply #2, then will become reply #1. Then you have a second post available for info.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:00:39 AM by PWRBTTN »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
Have Trub edit Reply #1 into reply #3. Have seone delete Trub's reply #1. Jack is Reply #2, then will become reply #1. Then you have a second post available for info.
I really wish I would have remembered to make "Reserved" posts for just such an occasion. Didn't expect this much help/information on a guide. xD

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
Have Trub edit Reply #1 into reply #3. Have seone delete Trub's reply #1. Jack is Reply #2, then will become reply #1. Then you have a second post available for info.
Done

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
Done
Why thank you, Craig! Now I can add more guides we accumulate on the next post. 8)

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2016, 01:16:37 AM »
And yes Dryym is correct, the denormalized depth ranges are actually calculated based on an offset above sea level, not the full height of the map, so sorry Jack, you're DD numbers will be slightly off if based on 3072 (rather than 3008)
So I take it I could easily fix the number by simply using 3,008 as the maximum depth, instead of 3,072?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2016, 01:52:52 AM »
So I take it I could easily fix the number by simply using 3,008 as the maximum depth, instead of 3,072?
Yes and adding 64.

depth = normalized * 3008 + 64

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »
Yes and adding 64.

depth = normalized * 3008 + 64
OP is now more accurate after using Craig's equation, it looks better too. Depths of a minimum of 64. As opposed to the top of the world (sky). :P

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
Yes, the values are used for every game mode. That's actually why I normalized them, so they could be used regardless of map depth.

And yes Dryym is correct, the denormalized depth ranges are actually calculated based on an offset above sea level, not the full height of the map, so sorry Jack, you're DD numbers will be slightly off if based on 3072 (rather than 3008) O_O

DigDeep = Sea level + 40 = 3008
SemiAlpine = Sea level + 40
Grasslands/Desert = Sea level + 15

e.g. If your Grasslands map sea level is 200, then the normalized depth is denormalized by multiplying it by 215. Also as non DD maps don't have depth as such, just a Y coord that starts at 0 (bedrock), you'll need to either subtract the denormalized depth from 1 first, or subtract the normalized depth from sea level + X to get the actual depth. e.g. if min/max depth = 0.1 then the calculation can be either 1.0 - 0.1 = 0.9 * 215 = 193 or 215 - (215 * 0.1) = 193.

Also the Deposit Frequencies have a multiplier:
DigDeep = 35
SemiAlpine/Grasslands/Desert = 10

e.g. there are 150 x 35 = 5250 Titanium deposits on DD worlds and 150 x 10 = 1500 Titanium deposits on SemiAlpine/Grasslands/Desert worlds.

Grasslands and Desert also have some extra deposits

Desert:
BlockID = Block.SandBrick, DepositFrequency = 150, DepositSize = 40, MaxDepth = 0.9f, MinDepth = 0
BlockID = Block.Dirt, DepositFrequency = 80, DepositSize = 30, MaxDepth = 0.4f, MinDepth = 0

Grasslands
BlockID = Block.Sand, DepositFrequency = 70, DepositSize = 30, MaxDepth = 0.4f, MinDepth = 0

This is very useful.

Another thing, Could you possibly explain how cave generation works and how the game determines where to put things like lava pools, Water pools, Wisdom scrolls, And Blueprints?

I am fairly sure that blueprint generation generates a blue box block which is changed to a random unfound/ungenerated blueprint upon player proximity.
Or at least, I think that is why I found random blue boxes in unloaded chunks on a creative converted DD world

This may not be so helpful for others, But I am curious.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »
Speaking of Blueprints, Trub and I have a POSSIBLE guide on those. This one may take some time.

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Supreme Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 5 years on site 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
Speaking of Blueprints, Trub and I have a POSSIBLE guide on those. This one may take some time.

By time, he means maybe months or over a year of trials. We'll see..

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
Basically, a slave to Dig Deep for a long time. ;-:

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »

How do you even plan on doing that?
Without Craig coming along and helping you out with numbers, You would have to complete tens of DD maps and log all of the data to get an average, Min, And max that may not even be 100% accurate.

In addition, You would have to write that out for well over 300 blueprints.

Over a year? Sounds like a decade to me.

Disclaimer: Ten years is a bit much, But it is a ridiculous amount of work that I believe would take well over a year even for two extremely dedicated players.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
How do you even plan on doing that?
Well, plenty of well thought out ideas and...probably ask Craig. ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)