Author Topic:  HW Avatar Concept  (Read 9482 times)

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Derfen Steve
  • Steam: Derfen Steve
Re: HW Avatar Concept
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
Yes way out of date now,

I promise i'm done with him now, At least major noticeable changes, Any more fiddling and I will ruin it somehow, I've already severely mangled the back of his wings by shaving off 2 depth in an attempt to slim his depth down, I also flattened his robe in the front by 1 depth, both these changes I'm taking a wager on, as It looks noticeably worse close up, but from afar and when viewing from 360% angles it seems to look more like a typical flat avatar which is what the origanal was lacking. At this point I don't think there is anything I can improve on this model, besides minor variants. But you must understand If i'm to never change it again, I want it to be correct, I think It goes without saying that it has exceeded my expectations, It looks quite majestic in person now.

You said that last time. XD
You still have a little bit of fiddling to do if you want eyes on him. :P

I do agree that he looks very nice now.
Although I could be very nitpicky if I wanted.

For example, It may look better if you shave one block off of the width on either side of the robe. And maybe use some stairs to smooth it out a bit more.
It wont be proportionate with the upper lower part if I do that + I already changed it substantially compared to the version I shared to you

Anyyyway!
Did you know that people have copies of the old old model with the derpy extended arm? I find that funny.

Yes, frightening isn't it... It still haunts me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:46:11 AM by Steve »

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 5 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
Yes, frightening isn't it... It still haunts me.

It's amazing how much you can change the concept of the wraith to look good, While still having it recognisable as the same character.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:41:52 AM by Dryym »

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
Yes, frightening isn't it...

It's amazing how much you can change the concept of the wraith to look good, While still having it recognisable as the same character.

I agree, its been quite the adventure taking the original and changing him so vastly, I did not think I would get so far when I first started the redesign. Thinking back on it now its quite hard to remember where I started first.

I'm sure that the avatar could be reimagined yet again, but to do that I would need to start from scratch. I'm fairly certain I've exhausted most of the potential for this model.

Truly all that can be done now is color variants, and most of that is all personal preference. I just tend to think black green and gold is simple, elegant, flattering, and suits the overall theme of the wraith.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 5 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
Truly all that can be done now is color variants, and most of that is all personal preference. I just tend to think black green and gold is simple, elegant, flattering, and suits the overall theme of the wraith.

It's funny you should say this.

I did a colour variant of the version you gave me. Dark Red replaces the gold, Serpentine replaces the grey and dark green on the cloak, Flint replaces greenstone, Copper replaces the white on the staff and badge, And the halo was given a dark grey colour from bedrock, With a pattern inside it.

I dubbed it the "Blood Wraith" and it looks pretty cool. The serpentine looks great for the cloak.

I couldn't do anything with the wings without them looking weird due to some artefacts you left because they were impossible to see in the black.

And I was too lazy to completely redo the wings.

I'll have to show it to you at some point.

I also slimmed his robe in the way I suggested to you. It doesn't look disproportionate to me, It looks more natural. Although that may just be me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:39:53 AM by Dryym »

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
I am curious.

Did you create that concept art? Or is it being used for reference?

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
I am curious.

He had a few very talented artists whom he commissioned it from.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
I am curious.

Ah, sweet :)

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »
I am curious.

Ah, sweet :)

Yes I personally own the rights to the images,

I hired 5 separate artists to build upon the origanal design.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »

Hermes Wraith/Old Deus 4.0 WIP

Derfen himself said that he doesn't think he could improve the avatar more than he already has.

I'm going by and completely rebuilding the avatar from the ground up (Technically from the sky down.) to make a Wraith that is closer to the concepts Derfen has.

I am basing it off of this concept

This concept

And some elements from this concept.

I like how it is going so far. But any feedback would be appreciated. Even if it is just an "ew" from Derfen.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »

Hermes Wraith/Old Deus 4.0 WIP

Derfen himself said that he doesn't think he could improve the avatar more than he already has.

I'm going by and completely rebuilding the avatar from the ground up (Technically from the sky down.) to make a Wraith that is closer to the concepts Derfen has.

I like how it is going so far. But any feedback would be appreciated. Even if it is just an "ew" from Derfen.

"cool"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:04:59 PM by Steve »