Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  New Demi unlock methods  (Read 3104 times)

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
Re: New Demi unlock methods
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
A note to all, multi-tiered unlocks should be possible. It is already in the game for other avatars. (Kill 50 spiders and prospect bedrock for the Knight avatar is just one example)

Don't worry about that and feel free to continue suggesting multi-tiered unlocks! :)

Edit: There is no limit to how many methods you can have for the multi-tiered unlocks. What matters is the time frame for each of the tasks you must do. If each of the tasks take a huge amount of time to achieve it would be best to keep the overall amount of tasks required low. If the tasks are relatively short then there is no real problem in having a decent amount of tasks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:35:59 PM by YoungSykotic182 »

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »
We have already made a grave mistake and destroyed the original game novelty of being able to only place avatars that you have unlocked, most players do not agree with all placement unlocked.

No good arguments exist in favor of re-lock something that adds creativity to one's map.
I highly doubt "most players do not agree with all placement unlocked." Everyone has benefited from being able to place a Zeus in their Greek Temples, robotics inside their sci-fi spaceships, and Sages in their fantasy adventure maps.

The NPCs aren't trophies. They are characters that add flavor to a world that cannot be achieved by having to physically unlock them.

I mean, you are in fact arguing about giving players "reachable goals" to obtain avatars, yet are quite content with the notion that players should be, for all intensive purposes, permanently forbidden to place certain NPCs. To have to beg someone who has unlocked the NPC to place it for them.

As if anyone can just shoot a developer or tester a message to drop by their map and place their exclusive NPCs every time one needs it.
You make me smile!

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
  • Xbox: Derfen Steve
  • Steam: Derfen Steve
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
A note to all, multi-tiered unlocks should be possible. It is already in the game for other avatars. (Kill 50 spiders and prospect bedrock for the Knight avatar is just one example)
Thankyou Young

-----------------------------------------------------

Highly doubting is not good enough,
I have Solid proof in the form of countless complaint messages.
NPCs have always been trophies since the very start lol
They used to be quite literally  "Game Achievements."
(Anyway this is besides the point)

I tried... "Floats Away"

Not worth the battle anymore, do whatever you want with demi guys.

We agree to disagree

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:26:49 PM by Derfen Steve »

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »

Don't worry about that and feel free to continue suggesting multi-tiered unlocks! :)

A bit of info I forgot to include with this so I'm adding another post instead of just editing the original so that it has a higher chance of being noticed.

There is no limit to how many methods you can have for the multi-tiered unlocks. What matters is the time frame for each of the tasks you must do. If each of the tasks take a huge amount of time to achieve it would be best to keep the overall amount of tasks required low. If the tasks are relatively short then there is no real problem in having a decent amount of tasks.

With that said I would also like to mention that having a goal that takes a while to achieve can definitely keep players interested and striving for that goal, but keep in mind that it can also introduce the opposite effect in that if the requirements are far too time consuming then players might start to see it as too much trouble and not worth the effort. This results in the loss of interest. A balance is needed. This will allow players who do not have the time to play due to everyday life to feel like they still have a chance at achieving the goal and not be left out. (Seen this problem appear too many times in a number of different games. Let's be sure to think of those players as well when thinking of unlocks methods)

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »
A bit of info I forgot to include with this so I'm adding another post instead of just editing the original so that it has a higher chance of being noticed.

There is no limit to how many methods you can have for the multi-tiered unlocks. What matters is the time frame for each of the tasks you must do. If each of the tasks take a huge amount of time to achieve it would be best to keep the overall amount of tasks required low. If the tasks are relatively short then there is no real problem in having a decent amount of tasks.

With that said I would also like to mention that having a goal that takes a while to achieve can definitely keep players interested and striving for that goal, but keep in mind that it can also introduce the opposite effect in that if the requirements are far too time consuming then players might start to see it as too much trouble and not worth the effort. This results in the loss of interest. A balance is needed. This will allow players who do not have the time to play due to everyday life to feel like they still have a chance at achieving the goal and not be left out. (Seen this problem appear too many times in a number of different games. Let's be sure to think of those players as well when thinking of unlocks methods)
So idealy we want either several of them that get harder so they think they are getting closer, or can have ones like counters for stats so players can see progress, but yet again do not want them to think
"Been playing ages and it's not even moved"

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »
So idealy we want either several of them that get harder so they think they are getting closer, or can have ones like counters for stats so players can see progress, but yet again do not want them to think
"Been playing ages and it's not even moved"
Well whether or not it is ideal is up to the player. The method for unlock is completely open for discussion at this point. It doesn't need to be multi-tiered and I'm just letting everyone know that there isn't any reason that it can't be multi-tiered. They are free to suggest what they feel is ideal and, most importantly, fair for all.