« Last post by Spark on June 07, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
I'm stuck with Linux for the next couple of months and was wondering if there is a way to run Total Miner. The game is not yet supported on Linux so you can't normally run the game on steam (you can't even install it). But, if you use Steamplay in the game's properties and Proton 5.0, you can actually install the game but you can't run it, it will crash on startup. If you get it running in someway with wine, the game won't start because of steam_api.dll not running.
I followed this post from @Justyn to try and get Steam windows running via wine and then installing Total Miner there to get it working but with the recent versions of wine, Steam is completely broken
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
So, this method wasn't possible anymore. But what if we use Proton to make it run? I said that running the game with Steamplay active and with Proton doesn't work but there's a workaround
How to run Total Miner: Step by step Guide
- Get winetricks, it's needed to install dotnet40 and xna40.
- After installing winetricks, start steam, go to your games and click properties on Total Miner. After that, check the box where it says "Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool" and then set Proton 5.0.8 (as of writing)
- Now run the game atleast one time, the game wont run and it will stop automatically. This step is needed since proton has to create folders for the game
- After that, install Protontricks
- Then, open up terminal, type "protontricks 347000 dotnet40 xna40". Some wizards will open up, follow through them and install .net and xna. It will take sometime
- After it has completed, run the game with steam. It should start after 1 to 2 minutes
Voilà! You got the game running
BEWARE that the game could crash and could also not run perfectly or not run at all. I played it a bunch and it's playable 100% for me, didn't get any crashes yet. The game runs slower than in windows but that's because of my laptop that is garbage
This method could work for some games that are still stuck on xna.
Also, when the update comes out, the game might run on linux without using proton because of monogame.
Anyway, I hope you find this post helpful! If you have any questions or errors, feel free to post them here. I'm going to try and help you (even though I'm a linux noob)
EDIT: I found out that signs are broken, no text appears even if you replace the sign and retype the text again. This is the only bug that I have found so far after playing for 5 hours with steamplay. But other than that the game is playable 100%