Author Topic: [Game] Tips for reducing lag on large builds  (Read 10600 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
[Game] Tips for reducing lag on large builds
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
Once a map gets built up significantly, the GPU can start struggling to draw all the graphics, causing lower frame rates or draw lag.

It's all about visible faces. A face is the side of a block. If the side of a block is exposed to air, that side is a visible face and the game must draw it. The more visible faces the game has to draw, the more work it has to do; the more likely the map will start to hit the limits of the graphics hardware.

1. Hidden visible faces. How can visible faces be hidden? These are faces inside enclosed areas. The game does not know if a face is inside an enclosed area, all it knows is if the face is exposed to air. Significant landscaping can create enclosed areas. e.g. if you build a flat surface over a non flat terrain, this can leave empty areas underneath the flat surface you built, down to the ground. Any face inside this enclosed area will still have to be drawn, even though players will never see them. So to remove these hidden visible faces, fill in the enclosed areas. The Creative Fill tool is a great way to do that.

2. While the sunrise/sunset effect is active, the GPU is executing a lot of extra commands to create the effect. If you freeze the day/night cycle so that the sunrise/sunset effect is always active, the GPU is working much harder than it is during normal day or night time. If your map is experiencing draw lag, freezing the day/night cycle outside the sunrise/sunset effect can help.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:05:46 AM by Craig »

RF Inn The Jet

• Supreme Member
  • I love this community, You read my name wrong ;)
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Get Inn The Jet
  • PSN: Get_Inn_The_Jet
  • Steam: Get_Inn_The_Jet
Re: Tips for reducing lag on large builds
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »
thank you craig, this will be very helpfull
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

N0T Original

• Heyo
  • Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: N0T Original
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing that! Now I'm more likely to completely flatten land when building something... ;)
TOTAL MINER
Creator of -L TOWN-

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Here since the beginning c:
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
Thanks for the Info Craig, very helpful.

DecadentBeaver

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
If I ever build a flat surface over non flat terrain, I always fill it up. But the other tip is very handy to know.

Whereiswaldo114

• Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: BT Waldo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:57:50 AM »
I have a question. DO Sunblocks by any chance create lag when used in large quantities?

MY NEW GAMERTAG IS BT WALDO

pulse1motion

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Pulse1motion
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »
thanks for those tips they are very help full

DiamondBack662

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »
I have a question. DO Sunblocks by any chance create lag when used in large quantities?

I just got through removing a bunch when creating a component map... they seem to increase the size quite a bit as well.. removing them helped reduce the size of the map for me (I was using them to line up components, thus I didn't need to keep them.. Had thousands)

Good info on leaving voids on the map.. I'll be filling in some of those.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
No they don't create lag. But like DB said, they will increase the save file size because they add light, which is data, which needs to be stored.

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: xholiday81x
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
Once a map gets built up significantly, the GPU can start struggling to draw all the graphics, causing lower frame rates or draw lag.

It's all about visible faces. A face is the side of a block. If the side of a block is exposed to air, that side is a visible face and the game must draw it. The more visible faces the game has to draw, the more work it has to do; the more likely the map will start to hit the limits of the graphics hardware.

1. Hidden visible faces. How can visible faces be hidden? These are faces inside enclosed areas. The game does not know if a face is inside an enclosed area, all it knows is if the face is exposed to air. Significant landscaping can create enclosed areas. e.g. if you build a flat surface over a non flat terrain, this can leave empty areas underneath the flat surface you built, down to the ground. Any face inside this enclosed area will still have to be drawn, even though players will never see them. So to remove these hidden visible faces, fill in the enclosed areas. The Creative Fill tool is a great way to do that.

How does that work with the grass and flowers? If I use flood and it fills in around grass and flowers does it leave a visible face? How about water if I flood over water how does the system handle that? Should I fill in the water first or does it not matter?
Thanks for your time.

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »

How does that work with the grass and flowers? If I use flood and it fills in around grass and flowers does it leave a visible face? How about water if I flood over water how does the system handle that? Should I fill in the water first or does it not matter?
Thanks for your time.
By creative flood, he means the creative flood feature that allows you to fill large areas with any block of your choice.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
By creative flood, he means the creative flood feature that allows you to fill large areas with any block of your choice.

I understand that, but when you use flood it floods the area. It does not change the blocks already down. So grass flowers and anything else in it's path just gets covered over not changed. I am wondering if any of these should be removed or do they not have visible faces when flooded over?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »
I understand that, but when you use flood it floods the area. It does not change the blocks already down. So grass flowers and anything else in it's path just gets covered over not changed. I am wondering if any of these should be removed or do they not have visible faces when flooded over?
They have visible faces. You can confirm by using no clip. I've changed flood in 2.0 to overwrite grass, flowers, etc.

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
They have visible faces. You can confirm by using no clip. I've changed flood in 2.0 to overwrite grass, flowers, etc.

Okay, looks like I got some work to do. I use flood a lot. Thanks for the help

James

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Trees?