Author Topic:  [How to]: Creating a "Your World" Thread  (Read 7521 times)

RF Inn The Jet

• Supreme Member
  • I love this community, You read my name wrong ;)
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Get Inn The Jet
  • PSN: Get_Inn_The_Jet
  • Steam: Get_Inn_The_Jet
[How to]: Creating a "Your World" Thread
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:41:23 PM »
Creating A Thread For Your World

Often times, when people are creating their threads for a map that they want people to join, they simply put "this is my map it is a _____ type of map, my GT is _____ message me to join". This is a very easy way to ensure that the members of the forums lose interest in your map. Here are a few helpful hints if you want people to gain interest in your thread, and for people to want to join your maps.

Introduction

First, give us a proper introduction to the map, let us know what exactly your map is about, and what your purpose in hosting is. If we know that you put effort and thought into a map, we will have interest in joining it.

Grubby 

Spoiler for Hidden Content:
Grubby is a Dig Deep map that I have been working off and on since 2.0 was released. I would believe this map is my most successful Dig Deep map and the map that I have ever put the most work in. My ultimate goal for this little project of mine is to have a continuing and updating lore that changes as I continue work. The surface, and three major underground sections are all planned to be worked on and artificialized. I tend to keep up to date with what I have done on this map, but of course, there are times where I will be slow with updates, mainly due to secret stuff that ties with other projects!   
If anyone cares to have the map seed, it is 1950586353.
My Statistics:
Distance Walked  2 100 086
Distance Flown       138 573
Blocks Cleared        292 189
Blocks Placed          738 424
Total Play Time        409.9 Hours
Grubby has had it's fair share of people who have contributed to the completion of the map. My apologies to those I have forgotten. If you believe I have left you out, feel free to reply to this topic or just send me a PM

Features and Areas

Next, let us know what your map has in it. We want to see unique concepts and ideas in a map. Let us know what you have created in a map! This shows people the interesting features of your map, but only just giving them a taste of what it really is. You give us just enough information to pull in our interest to come and visit the map.   

Example: Communicraft

Spoiler for Communicraft:

Pictures and Videos

I know this is not exactly the easiest thing to achieve when first setting up your thread, but having pictures and videos of your map often let the community view your work, and see what you have to offer. It allows us to have a visual, rather than just "your word" on what is in the world. As I will state below, there are many members of the forums whom you can contact if you want some high quality pictures taken of your map.

For Example: Dauntless

Conclusion and Host Info

You should always end your thread with a good statement, a greeting such as "hope to see you join"and your contact information. This lets us know that you care about your map, and are willing to receive feedback from the community. Part of having a good map, is being a good host, and treating your visitors with respect is a great way to show that! Keep in mind when you write out your thread, spelling and grammar are important. As Jeff has commented below, "You could be 7 years old, but have the writing style of a senior in college. Believe me good sentence structure helps!"

Take a look at these threads if you want to see a few good examples of a thread that will bring in attention, and provide the community with ample reason to join the map itself:
Grubby: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=7229.0
Civilizations: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=5021.0
Deep Stone: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=10558.0
Communicraft: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=2037.0
Kino Der Toten : http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=13789.0
Dryym's Topic: http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=16212.0

We want to know details, what the map is about, what features it has, what makes it unique, WHY WE SHOULD JOIN.

If you want good, high quality pictures, there are several members who can help you with that:
Dauntless
Jared
Myself (RF Inn The Jet)
YT Mysterio
Ugh Thats Nazty

Hopefully this will help you create a good thread for the future!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:38:57 AM by RF Inn The Jet »
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

Zone

• Elite Member
  • Total Miner Youtuber
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: IGs x Zone
Re: [How to]: Creating a "Your World" Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »
Very nice Topic, Should help new players with making Your World Topics. +1 with this ::)
Your getting close
So close
Come on you can do it!
Can you feel the burn??
Your on fire!
Cold
Hot
HOT!!
Hi :D

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »
Jet, you and Bob definitely have everything laid out very nicely. Thank you for this topic, I hope others follow suit and start organizing theirs with more information. I think we should definitely include that A LOT of brainstorming and finalized ideas should be included. Not just "NEW WORLD COMING IN THREE MONTHS!" Not a fan of those topics, nor would I ever visit their map. I need information to help paint a picture of the realm within. Photos DEFINITELY help, and videos but that is definitely optional. Thanks for writing this, Jet.
/sage

RF Inn The Jet

• Supreme Member
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
Jet, you and Bob definitely have everything laid out very nicely. Thank you for this topic, I hope others follow suit and start organizing theirs with more information. I think we should definitely include that A LOT of brainstorming and finalized ideas should be included. Not just "NEW WORLD COMING IN THREE MONTHS!" Not a fan of those topics, nor would I ever visit their map. I need information to help paint a picture of the realm within. Photos DEFINITELY help, and videos but that is definitely optional. Thanks for writing this, Jet.
/sage

Glad it will be helpful! I just hope enough people see this, and try to use it on their thread. Don't want it being lost down the line :P
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
Always nice to see guides like this. If players follow your advice when posting their topics it would be sure to gather more attention and interest of the readers. I know it would work on me.

Jared

• Supreme Member
  • Maze/Trivia Builder & Previous Total Miner Tester
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jeff McNewmen
  • PSN: Jeff_McNewmen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »
First off thank you Jet for being the one to make this it's about time someone made a professional organized thread like this and I have total respect for you even more then what I previously had. Your examples with the spoilers were spot on.

If I could add anything to the OP I'd state that grammar and spelling in a huge help for a detailed topic. You could be 7 years old, but have the writing style of a senior in college. Believe me good sentence structure helps!

Also thank you very much for including me in your OP with the high quality pictures :D. Jet is right it'd be an honor to take pictures for people whether it's simply for your topics or for the screenshot pictures. We'll all happy to help anytime any day!

《Thank You GK & Mysterio For These Astonishing Signitures!》

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
DB's guide to Your World Threads:
1. Pictures
2. Save the long winded speeches about what you're going to do and give us pictures.
I don't visit maps unless I've seen pics of it first.
Some players talk a good map and all you get is square box builds when you get there..

3. oh.. yeah.. and have pictures..
4. did I mention pictures?
5. have pictures...
6. and pictures..
7. don't forget pictures.

anthrax

• music <3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: rpm anthrax
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I finish my rpg/adventure map I'm working on. although it might be quite a while until then haha
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:37:12 AM by anthrax »
| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄| 
|       hi        |     
|       im       |
|  anthrax :) |
|_______|
(\__/) ||
(ㅅ) ||
/   づ

RF Inn The Jet

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:16:31 AM »
I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I finish my rpg/adventure map I'm working on. although it might be quite a while until then haha
Glad to hear it! hopefully it all works out :)
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »
Nice topic jet now i can make a propper thread if i can make a propper world my building lacks a little now lol maybe soon

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

RF Inn The Jet

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:07 PM »
This is a great topic, extremely well laid out and well organised, I'm starting a brand new world and I was struggling for topic ideas but this has helped a lot, thanks
:)

Glad I was able to help!
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Legendary Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 03:13:08 AM »
Jetty boy, I believe you should update this topic and add Ugh Thats Nazty to the list of people who can take some nifty screenshots.

You may say it's a waste of time but when the guy who tried to invent video games told us we said no one needs it and he almost did not invent it.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 04:31:48 PM »
If we are doing changes can I be changed to YT Mysterio. Don't like to be noticed as B0BSCAST Mysterio. Thanks.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

RF Inn The Jet

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
*add to the list of things to make a good "Your World" thread - Make sure you keep it up to date, and accurate XD
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »
thanks for adding me in the op for photographers :)