Author Topic:  A Guide to Attributes  (Read 2593 times)

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Guide to Attributes
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
What are attributes in total miner forge?

Well, first off, if you have not heard of attributes, they are certain search restrictions that you can place on your world so that people viewing the list of join-able lobbies over xbox live can get a general idea about what the world is.

And here is where things get complicated. There are a number of different attributes that one can place on their world. They are as follows:

Adventure
Arena
Challenge
Component
Construction
Deathmatch
Exploration
RPG
Skilling
Survival

So, with so many different attributes out there, which one should YOU pick to define your world? In order to try to help answer that question, here are some brief definitions of each attribute type:

Adventure
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
Adventure maps emphasize combat and lore. On Adventure maps, there are typically expansive questing systems that follow developed characters and have players overcoming great obstacles.

Arena
Arena worlds are built to pit players against combat-based obstacles. Sometimes, this includes PvP matches, and other times this includes mob fights.

Challenge
Challenge maps pit players against non-combat based obstacles. Such as movement based obstacles (Parkour Worlds), text based obstacles (Quizzes), and more of the like.

Component
Component worlds are made to show off component packs that players have built. Sometimes, Component worlds feature kits that players are willing to share with fellow total miners.

Construction
The Construction attribute is made for worlds to showcase builds that the host has created.

Deathmatch
Deathmatch worlds are combat-oriented lobbies, with the outlying difference between them and Arena worlds being that Deathmatch worlds are exculsively PvP.

Exploration
Exploration worlds have players sightseeing whatever sort of breathtaking landscape the host has created. Typically, exploration worlds do not feature much combat or questing.

RPG
RPG lobbies are a mix of Exploration worlds and Adventure worlds. They feature incredible landscapes/buildings, and a blend of combat, questing, and loot. Sometimes, building is also a feature of RPG worlds.

Skilling
Skilling maps are made primarily for the purpose of advancing one's skill level. This attribute will be a feature of 2.XX.

Survival
Oftentimes, Survival lobbies are made to simulate the survival or Dig Deep gametypes, with some creative flavor (such as generated structures, and possibly questing) thrown in.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:51:48 PM by Conmaan »

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Guide to Attributes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
Any feedback is appreciated! I tried to keep things pretty brief. Hopefully it still got the points across...

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
looking great good job but i have seen a few combat based challenge maps

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
looking great good job but i have seen a few combat based challenge maps

Some of the time hosts incorrectly attribute their maps.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
yah I think it's funny because if you tell them they freak out on you

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
1, People don't do it incorrectly on accident, the attributes effect the flow of people in your map alot, Challenge is the most popular so alot of people set theirs to that.

2, This should be in the "Guides" section

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »
1, People don't do it incorrectly on accident, the attributes effect the flow of people in your map alot, Challenge is the most popular so alot of people set theirs to that.
Yup, it is a strategy that players sometimes use to get more rates. I find it a bit ridiculous.
2, This should be in the "Guides" section
I don't have the ability to move it there. If bob feels that it is a decent enough guide, and he comes across it, then he'll take care of it.

RXZ x REPLAYZz

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
Errrm, since multiplayer first came out Ive always thought Concstruction was just a map for looks with nothing to do other than fly around and look at it, Well that's always how I have imagined it! :P

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Errrm, since multiplayer first came out Ive always thought Concstruction was just a map for looks with nothing to do other than fly around and look at it, Well that's always how I have imagined it! :P

Eh. I'd classify that more as component. Although, there is a lot more foot traffic on Construction.

RXZ x REPLAYZz

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
Eh. I'd classify that more as component. Although, there is a lot more foot traffic on Construction.
Not if its not a component :P ATM I would classify my world as a construction as there is nothing to do yet its just for something to look at, at the moment :P

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Not if its not a component :P ATM I would classify my world as a construction as there is nothing to do yet its just for something to look at, at the moment :P

If it is a world in which players are supposed to explore and see all that you've created, it would be Exploration. (I am assuming this is ROW).

If it is a work in progress, it would be construction.

RXZ x REPLAYZz

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »
If it is a world in which players are supposed to explore and see all that you've created, it would be Exploration. (I am assuming this is ROW).

If it is a work in progress, it would be construction.
Yes Im talking about RoW and I understand what you mean, thanks for giving me your insight! :D

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »
Yes Im talking about RoW and I understand what you mean, thanks for giving me your insight! :D

I should also say that there will most certainly be worlds that do not fit under any of these categories.

The best example I can think of is a number of Diamondback's, Dauntless's, and Quad's worlds. They usually feature large creative creations that players are simply meant to observe and take inspiration from.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
The best example I can think of is a number of Diamondback's, Dauntless's, and Quad's worlds. They usually feature large creative creations that players are simply meant to observe and take inspiration from.
These are the type of worlds the Construction attribute was intended for, rather than work's in progress. I'd prefer to add a "Work In Progress" attribute for incomplete worlds. I could do that easily if you think it would be helpful.

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »
These are the type of worlds the Construction attribute was intended for, rather than work's in progress. I'd prefer to add a "Work In Progress" attribute for incomplete worlds. I could do that easily if you think it would be helpful.
I would probably use that more then any of the other ones, Alot of the time i have no idea what my map is going to be about till after im building, Also tells people what to expect when they join your world.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester