Author Topic:  A change to the Ice Ring  (Read 285 times)

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
A change to the Ice Ring
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:13 AM »
People have been complaining about the ice ring since 2.0, And since we are currently on the transitional state to the PC version, I think now is the best time to make a simple and fundamental change to it to make it more balanced.

The idea is that when wearing the ice ring, Upon a successful hit, The player is frozen as before, But in addition, Their defence stat is kicked up to max, Making them nearly impossible to hit. In fact, Hitting them would reduce the time that they are frozen for. They would also lose their ability to attack, And their health regeneration would be slowed dramatically. All of this is designed to simulate the player being actually frozen in a block of ice.

This turns the ice ring from an annoying offence item to a defence item. Say that you are losing a fight, You can put on the ice ring and freeze your opponent in place to give you a chance to run away and regenerate. You can already do exactly this, But with the defence boost to the person being frozen, As well as the fact that attacking them reduces the timer, It removes any and all offensive use for the ring.

The same can be applied to ice arrows (Oh, The ice ring shouldn't apply to arrows anymore either.) If you are an archer, You don't want a melee attacker getting close. So when they close the gap too much for your own comfort, You can switch to an ice arrow and run away.

Granted, This would still be slightly annoying if you are on the receiving end of it, But you will no longer have to deal with being completely helpless as someone whittles your health away with their wooden sword against your full titanium armour. Instead, You'll just need to accept that sometimes someone will freeze you and run away.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

DatAwesomenessDoe

• Sesenta Nueveeeeee~
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Page
    • Awards
  • PSN: DatAwesomeness
  • Steam: DatAwesomeness
Re: A change to the Ice Ring
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
While I do like the idea of the ice ring buffing who's affected to make it defensive, I could still see this mechanic being annoying since it would make everyone in PvP pretty much damage resistant by keeping anyone from being killed, not to mention that the attacker could just camp right next to the frozen player and play the waiting game.

Now if this were put into place then it would need an extra buffer to avoid becoming overly annoying. What I had in mind was maybe the amount of time someone stays frozen is reflected by the damage they do, so that a Battleaxe will freeze someone for a much shorter time (if any time at all) than let's say a Steel Sword, that way people who aren't able to fend off an attacker can escape, while an attacker cant just cage a bunch of lower-level players and wait.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
While I do like the idea of the ice ring buffing who's affected to make it defensive, I could still see this mechanic being annoying since it would make everyone in PvP pretty much damage resistant by keeping anyone from being killed, not to mention that the attacker could just camp right next to the frozen player and play the waiting game.

Now if this were put into place then it would need an extra buffer to avoid becoming overly annoying. What I had in mind was maybe the amount of time someone stays frozen is reflected by the damage they do, so that a Battleaxe will freeze someone for a much shorter time (if any time at all) than let's say a Steel Sword, that way people who aren't able to fend off an attacker can escape, while an attacker cant just cage a bunch of lower-level players and wait.

Or, Alternatively you could just lower the durability of the ring to prevent overuse and give a larger freeze cool down.

If you give the ring 2-4 uses, This combined with the fact that there is no sprint or any way to catch up with a player who is running away will be more than enough to fill the defensive role.

Also, Your system could easily be exploited by duel wielding a wood sword with for example a titanium warhammer. Hit them with the sword for max freeze time to regenerate, And then wait with the hammer for them to not be buffed for defence.

Instead of putting in some fancy system like that to prevent it from being abused, You can just lower the amount of times you can use it.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

mm2woodman

• Elite Member
  • yo, woodman here
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »

Or, Alternatively you could just lower the durability of the ring to prevent overuse and give a larger freeze cool down.

If you give the ring 2-4 uses, This combined with the fact that there is no sprint or any way to catch up with a player who is running away will be more than enough to fill the defensive role.

Also, Your system could easily be exploited by duel wielding a wood sword with for example a titanium warhammer. Hit them with the sword for max freeze time to regenerate, And then wait with the hammer for them to not be buffed for defence.

Instead of putting in some fancy system like that to prevent it from being abused, You can just lower the amount of times you can use it.
Or, you can just make the titanium warhammer take priority over the wood sword if it's in your inventory.  But that could be really messy and confusing but just a thought.
ROTM of December 24th, 1988.mid
nice