Author Topic:  Have any cool scripted feature ideas?  (Read 878 times)

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
Have any cool scripted feature ideas?
« on: May 10, 2017, 01:31:45 PM »
I'm mainly looking for ideas here, not how to do them.

What I mean is like a list of things that would be cool to have, but not told how to script them. The journey of scripting them is the fun part.

Let's put the normal things aside, like fire spells, guns, ATM's, etc, because those are everywhere.

I'm talking about things that you rarely/never see around Total Miner.

Like these:

Custom Spell creation (i just scripted it yesterday)

Weight system & over encumbrance

HUD based slot machine, with Hud screen (referring to Sora1KG's Pokémon slot)

Things of those natures, like a cool feature that may be possible, or some that would be cool, but not really though of by many.

(In other words, I've ran out of some ideas, and I need more)

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Have any cool scripted feature ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
Here's my "To Do" list:

Swarm of bees spell

Zombie/undead classes take damage from light/heal spells, and gain life from dark spells

Damage based on HP level
(Less HP = More Damage?)

Limit break (strong attack, but can only be used when at X HP left)

Elemental rock/paper/scissors (fire beats grass, beats water, etc)

Enemy Scan / clan HP meters (turns nameplates on for a few seconds to show HP left, then turns off?)

Element spells gets stronger based on the biome they are cast in

Camera HUD to make picture taking very easy (tutorial texts to guide the positioning of the box)

Doom spell (HP goes to 1, uses all of caster's mana)

Kamehameha script

Supernova (radial attack when dead)

Splash (does nothing, but if spammed 1000-10000 times, you get something special)

Mana drain

Random effect spell (good or bad)

Random damage attack (magnitude)
(Low cost = potential overkill?)

Secondary fire for guns

Refresh spell (regenerates mana over time)

Water breathing

Non elemental magic spell

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
Hi,

It'd be pretty cool to see a script much like the Frost Walker enchantment in Minecraft. If you're not familiar, it basically puts ice under your feet when you walk on water. After about five seconds the ice starts melting and it looks really cool :D

Anyway, you can do that if you want and make it look real awesome lol.

Another thing that would be cool is a proper weather system.

If it's cold, some blocks around you grow snow layer ontop of them and if it keeps cold they'll eventually turn to snow and furthermore turn to ice (which is a random chance of happening.)

If it's warm then it does the opposite, it replaces some blocks with half slabs textured as the block it was before (not sure if this is possible..) and eventually that melts.

I think that'd be pretty awesome to see.

Good luck with all of your To Do's also :)
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »
Hi,

It'd be pretty cool to see a script much like the Frost Walker enchantment in Minecraft. If you're not familiar, it basically puts ice under your feet when you walk on water. After about five seconds the ice starts melting and it looks really cool :D

Anyway, you can do that if you want and make it look real awesome lol.

Another thing that would be cool is a proper weather system.

If it's cold, some blocks around you grow snow layer ontop of them and if it keeps cold they'll eventually turn to snow and furthermore turn to ice (which is a random chance of happening.)

If it's warm then it does the opposite, it replaces some blocks with half slabs textured as the block it was before (not sure if this is possible..) and eventually that melts.

I think that'd be pretty awesome to see.

Good luck with all of your To Do's also :)

I already kinda did that a while back on my fantasy map for a water walk spell. It could probably be done in a more simple way now, But it worked decently.

As for ideas, One thing you could do is try to revamp the combat system via scripts so that it's more fun and less annoying.

Another thing that I was going to do with my fantasy map that never got completed is a nutrition system. It'd add a bunch of nutrition stats based on the food groups and the idea would be to keep your nutrients at a certain level to stay healthy. Basically, The nutrition system would modify all of your physical stats (Speed, Strength, Carry weight, Etc.)

I was also making a system which adjusts your eyes based on the light level.

BTW, A weight system is super easy with vars. I don't see what trouble you keep having with it.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:13 AM »
I would love to see your weight system, as I'm not a master at vars, but I make do
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:34:25 AM by crazytater94 »

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
I would love to see your weight system, as I'm not a master at cars, but I make do

If I remember correctly, It was just
Var [Weight] = [Inv:Item] * [ItemWeight]
Var [Weight] = [Inv:Item2] * [Item2Weight] + [Weight]
Var [Weight] = [Inv:Item3] * [Item3Weight] + [Weight]
Etc... For every item you want to have weight. It's tedious, But it isn't hard.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
Oh, OK. So you just increase the weight variable for every item, then if isvar > capacity, then slow down.

That's very easy, I was over thinking it

There's still the problem of when to have it run.

I could have every item have an equip event for this script, but even then, there's still bugs and exploits with it, since there's not a "pickupItem" event

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
Oh, OK. So you just increase the weight variable for every item, then if isvar > capacity, then slow down.

That's very easy, I was over thinking it

There's still the problem of when to have it run.

I could have every item have an equip event for this script, but even then, there's still bugs and exploits with it, since there's not a "pickupItem" event

Just run it from your startup as a looping script. As long as the first command sets the weight var back to 0, It'll refresh the weight each time. It worked perfectly fine on my fantasy map, I just didn't have all of the items in the script yet.

Also, I would stray away from things like "IsVar [>] [StaticNumber]" The reason I was making the nutrition system is so that you can control how much weight you can carry by your nutrition. You could just have it determine the player's speed by using the percentage of carry weight to carry capacity.

In fact, You could use my player speed script system for the speed part.

Out of curiosity, What were you thinking of doing for your weight system? I like hearing other people's attempted solutions to the same problem.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
I have a small skill point system where you can get to level 100, with 25 points in each category. I plan on allowing the strength skill increase the capacity, like most RPG games.

I need to expand that skill system though, to allow more of a fallout style level up, with about 18+ attributes, and multiple skill points per level, but with there being a text limit on menu scripts, that'll be alot of scripts linking them together.

As for the startup script, I'm trying to avoid looping scripts, but with only vars, would that cause much lag?

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
My original thought was super wrong and tedious.

If has inventory wood 1-10, history+1 pound
If has inventory wood 11-20, history+2 pounds

I knew that could probably work, but that was when I attempted it before vars came out, and never really tried again after they did.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
I have a small skill point system where you can get to level 100, with 25 points in each category. I plan on allowing the strength skill increase the capacity, like most RPG games.

I need to expand that skill system though, to allow more of a fallout style level up, with about 18+ attributes, and multiple skill points per level, but with there being a text limit on menu scripts, that'll be alot of scripts linking them together.

As for the startup script, I'm trying to avoid looping scripts, but with only vars, would that cause much lag?

It doesn't matter, There is no other option.

Personally, I think you could do something more immersive than a skill point system. I think it would be more fun.