Author Topic:  Presenting The Lurker (New Mob)  (Read 410 times)

DatAwesomenessDoe

• Sesenta Nueveeeeee~
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Page
    • Awards
  • PSN: DatAwesomeness
  • Steam: DatAwesomeness
Presenting The Lurker (New Mob)
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
So we all (well some of us) remember when the name Lurker came up and was explained to be a concept for a mob that was never really used for anything. Well, how about I propose the idea for a fully fleshed out version for this unfinished concept...

Now I am aware that the mobs currently are in need of a bit of tweaking in order to seem more unique, but screw it.

What is the "Lurker"?
  So the Lurker would be as the name suggests, a creature that lurks and tries to be stealthy, rather than try to take you head on like all of the current enemies. So this "Lurker" creature would have low health, low defense, and medium damage; However, it would be capable of speeds that not even the Werewolf could compare to. Now as I said, this concept wouldn't try to take you head on, rather it would try and hide behind cover in order to avoid detection, and would strike when the player isn't paying attention. Now the Lurker wouldn't just wait till you look away, but would rather be scared off by eyesight, and would try to sprint back into hiding if the player looked too directly at it.

So where and when do they spawn?
  Well Lurkers would be able to spawn at all times, unlike their other hostile counterparts, though they would only ever attack at night. Lurking the day and when there is an excess of light, these mobs would try and stay hidden in the distance, using their uncanny speed as a means of evasion in the event that you went in a pursuit of one. As for underground, lurkers would spawn in primarily naturally generated areas and away from lava, as they prefer to avoid light for obvious reasons, and would always be hostile due to the low light levels.

So how many of them spawn?
  Well Lurkers prefer to live either alone or in very small groups and away from other mobs, as hordes could easily give away their position(s), so the more Lurkers that spawn in an area, the less amount of other creatures that would follow.

How do you detect them?
  As already stated, Lurkers would only be around when there are a lack of other enemies, which to the trained player could be an easy giveaway. Now they make very subtle sounds, mostly just the rustling of leave and light footsteps, and this method would be good for any melee fighters who are hunting during the night when they will be on the offensive. Another means of detection would be to catch them spying on you, as if at a certain distance, they will peak out from behind their cover, giving you a sense of what direction they're in as seen from their glowing eyes.

What do they drop?
  Killing a Lurker certainly is different from fighting off other enemies of the night, though they re far from the power of the Diablo, so they wouldn't drop anything extremely valuable. Still though, Lurkers would be the only source of Lurker Claws.

What are Lurker Claws good for?
  Well this may be enough to be its own topic, but I feel it should be here simply due to the fact that it has to do with this idea for a mob. So anyways, Lurker Claws could be put together to make a Lurker Gauntlet. These gauntlets would be made from 3 Lurker Claws and a Leather Gauntlet. Now unlike other weapons, these gauntlets would take the place of said armor piece. Now they lock your gauntlets to leather defensively as long as they're equipped, but do have their own perks. These gauntlets would provide extra damage for your weaponless melee attack in exchange for their defensive nerf, and would let you deal more damage to enemies from behind.

So what are your thoughts into this more detailed version of the long forgotten idea? Have something to add? Want to leave a criticism? Feel free to say it below.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:37:56 PM by DatAwesomenessDoe »

Hayden

• Elite Member
  • Obey no one, Respect everyone.
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: mister m0nk3y
  • Steam: Hayden
  • Other: 123456789
Re: Presenting The Lurker
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
I have an image of a demon from a game I played on xbox, but I don't remember the name of the game... But I know pewdiepie played it...
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 241

DatAwesomenessDoe

• Sesenta Nueveeeeee~
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:51 PM »
I have an image of a demon from a game I played on xbox, but I don't remember the name of the game... But I know pewdiepie played it...
The monster dude from White Noise?

Hayden

• Elite Member
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
The monster dude from White Noise?
Defiantly not... But maybe similar...

Hayden

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
The game was about a cop, which is the main character, and the cop died after being shot, but there are other ghosts that died and didn't let go so they became demons and they eat ghosts... something like that...

DatAwesomenessDoe

• Sesenta Nueveeeeee~
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »
The game was about a cop, which is the main character, and the cop died after being shot, but there are other ghosts that died and didn't let go so they became demons and they eat ghosts... something like that...
Yea I got no clue, lol.

Hayden

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »
I'll let you know if I remember

Hayden

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:40:31 PM »
Oh I remember now!

warning :Spooks ahead
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Rollins

• “The things you used to own, now they own you.”
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ThatAnimeKid
  • Other: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:50:35 PM »
As I said on discord, I think it's a good idea for the Enemy Behavior system. I think it could add a more hard experience instead of the same mobs running toward you. Faster speed would make it harder to get to safety and just watching them is creepy but an inprovement. Nice idea
"You know how they say you only hurt the ones you love? Well, it works both ways" -Fight Club

He's trying to P6 ban u bro! That's 5 levels above a P1 ban! You're done -Gary March 24, 2017

Atlas Telamon

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
I think it would be cool if it dimmed torches and other light sources in its proximity. It would be pretty cool to be in a cave or a shelter, then all of a sudden the lights start to dim and you realize you aren't alone.

And if they are dimmed for awhile, they could maybe flicker then after flickering for a couple seconds they could just go out until the lurker leaves their proximity. Maybe have the creature do damage based on the light of the area it is in and allow it to attack if the player is looking at it but can't see it because of low light.

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas