Author Topic:  Variables Issue  (Read 802 times)

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Variables Issue
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »
Is it possible that the problem lies in networking the history change to the host?

Perhaps he isn't always receiving the history change due to a networking problem.

Since he changed it to a looping sell script, It means there are more history changes that are being sent out. Since there are more pings being sent out, If a few of them don't make it through, It won't make as much of an impact as if the entire history change didn't make it through.

Yes if there is no problem with the scripts themselves (i.e. history being reset accidently with bad logic), then the problem lies with networking. The best way to confirm that is showing the history values on the screen on both the remotes and host and seeing if they differ.

How would you do that? There's no way to see what is happening on the other person's machine.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
Is it possible that the problem lies in networking the history change to the host?

Perhaps he isn't always receiving the history change due to a networking problem.

Since he changed it to a looping sell script, It means there are more history changes that are being sent out. Since there are more pings being sent out, If a few of them don't make it through, It won't make as much of an impact as if the entire history change didn't make it through.

Yes if there is no problem with the scripts themselves (i.e. history being reset accidently with bad logic), then the problem lies with networking. The best way to confirm that is showing the history values on the screen on both the remotes and host and seeing if they differ.

How would you do that? There's no way to see what is happening on the other person's machine.
You ask them..

sora1kg

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: sora1kg
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
I am also in trouble because the player's history is not saved.

I thought about making a Pokemon map, but because of that problem I abandoned it.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
I haven't had any problems with histories not saving. I have about 30 kinds for each player as well.

I have noticed though, on occasion, I'll look on a players screen, and their hunger/thirst will be empty, but they don't die from it. I'm not sure if I just can't see the correct HUD that they do, or if their history does not exist, but if they have <1 they should die and reset.

LB

• Founder of Catsbury and Creditland
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Liam Bradbury
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »
If you change this notify:
 Notify [[Sell] Bolts received.] [local] [0,0,0]
to:
Notify [[Sell] Bolts received. You now have [history:bolts] Bolts.] [local] [0,0,0]

Does the 'you now have x bolts' part of the notification always show the correct quantity?
If it does, then the history has the correct quantity and the problem is with the history, not vars.

I've just tested this and the problem is definitely to do with connection problems, as the history is linked up correctly. It just doesn't sync up correctly 100% of the time to the host when other players use the sell script. I'm glad that it's not a vars issue, now I can experiment more without having to worry about this.

On the subject of network issues, is there any way to sync up the histories to the host at all times or is it a glitch that's not possible to counter?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:59:01 AM by LB »

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
If you change this notify:
 Notify [[Sell] Bolts received.] [local] [0,0,0]
to:
Notify [[Sell] Bolts received. You now have [history:bolts] Bolts.] [local] [0,0,0]

Does the 'you now have x bolts' part of the notification always show the correct quantity?
If it does, then the history has the correct quantity and the problem is with the history, not vars.

I've just tested this and the problem is definitely to do with connection problems, as the history is linked up correctly. It just doesn't sync up correctly 100% of the time to the host when other players use the sell script. I'm glad that it's not a vars issue, now I can experiment more without having to worry about this.

On the subject of network issues, is there any way to sync up the histories to the host at all times or is it a glitch that's not possible to counter?

There are ways you could try, But they all involve history and loops, And it would probably make things less consistent.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym