Author Topic: [Deathmatch] \\DEATH MINE//  (Read 940 times)

Ultris07

• View Profile
    • Awards
[Deathmatch] \\DEATH MINE//
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
\\DEATH MINE// is a map made by Sora1kg.
While yes, the name is not good, the map is quite nice.

The map features open rooms, high ceilings, and classic DeathMatch design.
I quite like the map, design, and overall style, however there are some problems, which I will list below along with positives.

Pros:
-Great design for classic style Deathmatch fights
-Great use of color for effect
-Random item buttons
-Nice sprint w/ hunger system

Cons:
-Mining for items
-Random item buttons
-Sprint w/ hunger system

Ok, so lets break these down...
Breakdown:
-The design for the map is very classic DM-esque, which is excellent, but seems to be dev'd for far more faster and gun centric games, i.e. Murder Miners.

-The color for the map, is really great and adds nice detail in small bursts, and I think it makes for great map design.

-The "Random Item" button, while nice and interesting for these types of maps, is extremely terrible in actuality, as you have to go up to a pseudo box, push a button and wait, For this I would just add a script block on the ground with an item giver script, and make a wait timer for it.

-Mining for items... Oh boy, this is the worst part of the map, as it requires the player to stop and dig, just for an item in this fast paced map, effectively ruining the atmosphere, on top of this, there are no safe zones. (That I know of)

-Sprint w/ Hunger system... This is another bad design idea, since it also breaks the immersion. The map looks like it is made for fast-paced action, with the way it's designed, and yet the most basic idea for a game, is made extremely cumbersome, making for even less fun than with all the other problems.

So in short, the map is well made for straight up classic DM, but there are a lot of hindrances, and if they were removed/fixed, the map could be really good.
1: Change the name. i.e. Equinox
2: Remove the hunger idea, as it makes running cumbersome.
3: Remove mining, as it is not a good idea at all, especially on this map.
4: Remove the Random Item boxes, and put item givers on the ground.
5: Change the "Sprint" to something other than a hand swing, or remove it entirely and add a speed zone to the map.
6: Hide strong weapons in hidden areas, was able to get a Diamond Sword pretty easily, and that's not good.

There's nothing more right now to comment on, so I will check back soon to see any new changes.

"All credit goes to Sora1kg for allowing me to make this post, and give feedback about his map."
One shall stand, one shall fall!
A warrior takes sword in hand, clasping a gem to his heart. Engraving vanishing memories into the sword, he places finely honed skills into the stone. Spoken from the sword, handed down from the stone... Now the story can be told...
Doth thou desire the power?

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
Re: \\DEATH MINE//
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:39:47 PM »
Not a fan of death mines at all. But best of luck on it. Also, pictures would be good. May not want to ever visit it, but an idea of what it looks like would be nice.

Ultris07

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »
Not a fan of death mines at all. But best of luck on it. Also, pictures would be good. May not want to ever visit it, but an idea of what it looks like would be nice.
Neither am I, but the map looks nice and with a few tweaks could be an awesome Deathmatch map, but Sora's stickin to his guns on this one, says its gonna be Hunger Games-esque.

I highly recommend at least checking the map out, it's quite unusual to be sure.
One shall stand, one shall fall!
A warrior takes sword in hand, clasping a gem to his heart. Engraving vanishing memories into the sword, he places finely honed skills into the stone. Spoken from the sword, handed down from the stone... Now the story can be told...
Doth thou desire the power?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:35:20 AM »
I'd like to see it.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 02:13:45 AM »
Hmm.. Pictures should be nice. I'd also like to be able to see a video of the hunger / sprint system.

Sounds cool, can't wait to see some pics!
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Jim 💠

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »
I think I joined this the other day when it was still in early stages and it actually looked pretty decent. However as the other guys said here, pictures would be nice as I would like to see the updated progress from the last time I joined.

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 02:44:32 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Jim 💠

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:04:48 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

That's honestly one of the nicest deathmines I've seen in ages... Next to Dryyms of course  ;)

I really like the colour combinations for some reason. I joined this when he had only built the spawn a few days ago and from then he has done so much work. I may want to join this one and give it a mess around.

Well done Sora!

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:36 AM »
I'm agreeing with Jim. This is a well thought-out map, with clearly a lot of effort put into it. Well done Sora :)
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

casual onion

• Legendary Member
  • Part time onion, Part time Michael Buble fan
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: casual onion
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 04:19:46 AM »
Looks wonderful. Simple yet effective, very pleasing on the eye. I shall join when it'd possible.
/onion Inspirational Quotes /onion

casual onion [23|Mar 09:59 PM]:   If you don't succeed, try, try and give up.

PWRBTTN [31|Mar 01:14 AM]:   It's okay, not all of us can be comedy geniuses like Casual Opinion.

Trub's Unisex Holiday Name [12|Nov 07:28 PM]:
You look like Casual Onion.

Jim 💠

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:32:52 AM »
Looks wonderful. Simple yet effective, very pleasing on the eye. I shall join when it'd possible.

I agree. There's something about this map that is just pleasing to the eye and I don't know what it is. As you said its probably just the simplicity of it combined with the sleek corridors, doors and walls.

I'll definitely join once you're hosting Sora.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:47:52 AM by Jim »

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
You weren't kidding when you said it looked like a Murder Miners map. I really like that aesthetic.

From looking at it, I agree that the random item button is a bit weird. My map has a system where you can buy a random weapon. The higher your price, The better weapon you get.

It's more deterministic than random, But it works very well.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »
You weren't kidding when you said it looked like a Murder Miners map. I really like that aesthetic.

From looking at it, I agree that the random item button is a bit weird. My map has a system where you can buy a random weapon. The higher your price, The better weapon you get.

It's more deterministic than random, But it works very well.
he was telling me of how there's only going to be 2 safe zones...the item shop and 1 more i forget what part....probably the mines but hey those mightve been pvp areas as well
the dispensors also give out weapons..idk what he all has scripted for them,but i pushed one of the buttons and i was given an iron spear

i believe in sora that he's going to make a fun deathmatch thats enjoyed by most ppl and different from alot of other deathmines.he did say that was only 80% of the total map so im sure he's still working on scripting as well,being none of the mines were filled up...allthough i didnt get around to telling him one of the huds on the top left was too high and that half of it was cut out

sora1kg

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: sora1kg
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 03:54:02 AM »
Hello, I'm sora1kg.

Everyone, thank you for many comments.
If you have any interesting ideas for this DeathMine map, Please write in the comments.

Jim 💠

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 04:04:58 AM »
Hello, I'm sora1kg.

Everyone, thank you for many comments.
If you have any interesting ideas for this DeathMine map, Please write in the comments.

Welcome to the forums Sora! Your map has a great design and I wouldn't mind joining at all when you're hosting.

You could add challenges and parkour elements to your map, just to give it some extra replay ability. Also adding prizes for these challenges isn't too bad of a feature too.

You could add:

Plots
Building competitions
Arcade

That's all the ideas I have so far. I hope you're map does well and I wouldn't mind joining at all.