Author Topic:  Continental indie sandbox game (inDev)  (Read 1922 times)

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15
    • View Profile
    • ::)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy
Continental indie sandbox game (inDev)
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »

What is Continental

Continental is a 2D sandbox game that I am creating. The game has inspiration from games like Total Miner Forge,Crevis,Mineraft, and Terreria. There is no main objective but the challenges will find you along the way, playing with others to defeat your foes or be against them to have world control but in the end it will come down to the things you make and the objects you find and the people you befriend.  There are many things to do from fighting bosses to becoming a full wizard , leveling your skills , finding the different lands , mastering the game and much more. You can enjoy this with an infinite terrain and different continents to explore and things to find to get task done and be the control of power as you play. Continental is about the player and what the player can do and what they will see so i want all you to see the world with your help. YOU the players will be the creators of this game and will shape it!!!   

How you can help shape the game.

As stated above i want you the future players to shape the game by coming up with ideas and creating things for the game and i look forward to see what your thinking and creating but there are some guide lines I must set due to the way the game is made to optimize it to reduce lag and such.

When creating things for the game you can post a brief or full idea with the assets here but if you want it to be in the game you must send the file(s) to continentaltoday@gmail.com or it will not be accepted. next in the email let me know what you would like to be called in the credits and if you have a twitter or anything else you want to be in the credits let me know in the email so i can give you credit.You can also throw ideas out there in the replies also if your not creating anything. I look forward to seeing what you make.

when creating new blocks blocks make sure you follow these guidelines.
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
These must be from you and not from the internet.
Must be original ideas for blocks but it can take inspiration from games.

-Sprites must be 32x32 pixels(its how the game snaps it to a grid).
-If you can please send the as a .png.
-Please state the following
{
What is the blocks Toughness (Toughness for Grass/dirt =85)
PLEASE state all the extra info on the block that you think is needed.(anything special like effects and such)
Is this block craftable or can be dropped as loot
}

When creating items follow these guide lines.
-The item can be up to 64x64 and the items HAVE to point to the top right so that it has a nice animation while you use the item.

If its a Tool.
{
-Durability how many uses(wood tools 25 uses)
-Toughness-This will need to be higher or equal to the blocks Toughness in order to break it(wood tools = 150 toughness ) .
-what is needed to craft it.(if craftable ex can only be dropped as loot)
-any info you think is important
}

If its a weapon
{
-Durability how many seconds of use.(wood weapons = 100 seconds of durabilty)
-How much its max attack is(players health is 100 some mobs or bosses can have higher health)
-what is needed to craft it(if craftable)
-anymore info that is needed.

}

Pictures & Videos!
8-9-15(This is a photo of the early stages of ores. As you can see in the image diame can't spawn above stone but Blood Rubys can't spawn above diamonds. These will not stay like this in game they will be a a deeper depth but for showing how it works I made them spawn near the top.

8-11-15
The begging of trees! it don't look like much but trust me its a big thing for my plans.

8-17-15
This is the early stages of biomes

Features in the game now.

More will be added as WE progress on the game.

Big Features!
-Infinite Terrain
-Player Animations(Basic)

Minor Features!
-Water Physics(Basic)

Features coming to the game.

Orange = Done(unless things are added or bugs need to be fixed)
Green = Almost done.
Yellow = Being worked on.
Red = Not started.

-Generating Resources/ores
-Generating Trees

-Biomes

-Day/Night cycle

-Rendering System
-Swimming Psychics
-Inventory
-Crafting
-Mobs
-Weather

Contributors.

-
-
-
-

More can be added

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:30:11 AM by Mr Zincy 🍍 »

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Continental indie sandbox game (inDev)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 01:19:47 AM »
Reserved For Record keeping & Announcements.
Im in need of some ideas for new biomes and need your help on what blocks can make up it and what you can find there

Some biomes that i will be adding.

Plains(basic)
Desert
Mountains(medium)
Winter(basic)
Dark Forest(more info soon)

Ice kingdom biome- This biome has a 10% chance of spawning and will hold many new blocks and this will be the only place you can kill the Ice Warlock and when killed will drop the Staff of Ice and the Ice boots.

New Events by discovering this biome

-Blizzard-upon discovering this new biome a new weather event is unlocked. The blizzard is a storm that can bring your area of sight down a lot/slow movement. Snow can pile up depending on time and power(snow melts in no native biomes)it will also freeze your water over and kill crops and animals sometimes. it only has a 5% chance of happening in its no native biome but it will be dreaded. 

New Blocks

-Ice
-Spruce leaves(not craftable)
-Spruce wood(not craftable)
-Planked Spruce wood(craftable)
-Layer of snow(Craftable)
-Snow block(not Craftable)

New Items

-Snow ball(-.5 health for the player who is hit by the snowball
-Ice Cutter-This tool will be used to collect ice blocks(Craftable)
-Snow Scrapper-This tool is used for collecting snow blocks/layers(Craftable)

Ice Boots-The magical boots will give you the ability to freeze water below your feet and will give a .5 speed boost. This item is only obtainable by killing the Ice Warlock. These boots don't break but they  must be charged with ice as fuel.

Staff of Ice-The Staff of Ice is a staff that will be a weapon. This weapon has an attack called the Freeze Beam and the Frost Bite attack. The Freeze Beam is a beam attack that will slow the enemy down to a crawl. Last the Frost Bite attack is a melee attack that will make the player has the frostbite effect that will slowly drain the enemies health,(the more powerful your attack the longer it last) . Just like the Ice Boots theses items don't break cause of the rarity but need to be charged with ice.

New boss

Ice Warlock-The Ice Warlock is a boss that can only be found in an Ice Kingdom biome and has multiple attacks. He is immune to all ice attacks. but heat is his weakness. His attacks are Snow Drift,Ice Ray,Thunder snow.

Snow Drift-This is a rather powerful attack that when used it will form a egg like shield around the boss of snow and as a defensive strategy to regenerate.

Ice Ray-This is a medium attack when used the boss with shoot a ray of ice to the ground temporarily and freezing the player to were they can jump and down but not left and right.

Thunder Snow-This is the bosses final stand move were it will turn it into a blizzard environment and will be added with lightning that can drain energy in your weapons and kill durability of items weapons .etc

What do you think any ideas and suggestions.

For topic
-OP updated 8/9/15 4:00am

For game
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:06:42 AM by Mr Zincy 🍍 »

Brother Hood

• futrue army
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
is this a game you making ?

anyway if or not I would love to see it soon all I can do is wish you a best of luck on your work :)

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
Is this a game you are making ?

Anyway if or not I would love to see it soon .All I can do is wish you a best of luck on your work :)

Thanks I will try and get some pics of resources and hopefully a start to biomes maybe today.

Note:this is a very early stage of the game and nothing is final.

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
OP update with first picture of the new ore system.

The photo of the early stages of ores. As you can see in the image in the Op diamond can't spawn above stone but Blood Rubys can't spawn above diamonds. These will not stay like this in game they will be a a deeper depth but for showing how it works I made them spawn near the top.

The Jones

• What's classed as personal text? I like cake?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MysticNi9htmare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
Here's some new ideas you could add :)

Volcanic Biome
Hard mountainous biome, the land being built of stone. It will containing several new blocks, items, mobs and will have boiling water pools (all water in this biome becomes boiling water and is dangous to the player). It is also the only place were you can face the flaming dragon (insert cool dragon name here). Each volcanic biome will have one volcano, however you could get two or more of the volcanic biomes spawned next to each other :)

New event discovered by this biome:

Eruption!!!!-When in this biome you have a 2% chance of this occurring and when it does you best run. Any blocks covering the top of the volcano will be destroyed. Then lava with spew up the volcano and start pouring down the sides. Any wooden objects, crops, mobs and players will be burned. And the area will become darker, this darkness will last a minuet afterwards. This eruption is the only place you can get ash block from which falls just after we're the lava reaches.

New Plants
-Cork Oak-a tree which is resistant to fire. You can harvest cork from its trunk without killing the tree, however you have to wait a while for it to regrow. Cutting down the tree will give you regular wood.

New Blocks
-Ash block
-Dragons Egg
-Dragon Skull
-Cork Wood
-Cork Wood Planks
-Cork variants of wooden stuff i.e.door

New Items
-Dragon Skin-non craftable-used to create dragon armour.
-Dragon Claw-non craftable
-Dragon Bone-non craftable-used to create dragon armour.
-Dragon Forge Steel Sword-non craftable-it's a steel sword with a dragon bone hilt and is on fire, which turns blue in combat. Due to it being on fire it will set any foes you attack on fire too.
-Dragon armour-craftable
-Salamander Skin-non craftable-used  in making poison
-poison-craftable-other ingredients?
-Cork-non craftable-used in armour, several blocks and making wine.
-Cork armour-craftable-low defence but can't catch on fire, fire attacks still deal damage though.

New Mobs
-Razor Clawed  Dragon-25% chance to drop dragon claw or skin or bone.
-salamander-25% chance to drop salamander skin

New Bosses
-Flaming Dragon called (insert cool dragon name)-In the volcanic biome you may come across a dragons nest with an egg in it. Attempting to break it or hitting it  will cause the mother dragon to spawn....and attack. The dragon will mainly attack from the air with its fiery breath (setting player on fire). But can land and attack with its claws. Each sixth of its health you get down will cause it to life upwards off screen and summon several razor clawed dragons to fight you. On its last sixth of health it will become enraged and its fire will go from red to blue and its claws will be set alight with the same blue flames. If it kills you and no player is left around it will despawn. And you will need to start again. Killing it however will cause it to drop 20 dragon bone and flesh as well as a 16% chance to drop a dragon skull and a 3% chance to drop a dragon forge steel sword. Also the egg will become mineable, we're you can take it home and put it on display. Or maybe if pets are added it could be used to spawn a pet dragon.
How about a Ocean/Deep Ocean Biome
It is a watery landless place.(Surprising isn't it?) In this place there is a selection of new mobs, blocks and items to discover. Though it may not seem bad near the top, as you go down into it's dark depths you will find the scariest stuff lying in wait. The further down you go the darker the water gets.

New Plants
-Seaweed-non craftable-
-Coral-non craftable-

New Blocks
-Sand-non craftable- can be smelted  into glass
-Ship pieces-craftable after finding???-e.g. mast,anchor,wheel
-Old Chest
-Shark Head

New Items
-Shark fin-non craftable
-Pearl-non craftable
-Raw Fish-non craftable-can be cooked
-Worm-non craftable-sometimes found when digging dirt.
-Fishing Rod-craftable-Made from sticks and string. Uses worms as ammo.
-Eel skin-non craftable-can be made into eel skin thread.
-Eel skin thread-craftable-can be weaves into a eel skin robe.
-Eel skin robe -craftable-causes any attackers to become electrified when they deal melee damage to you. Can power hand held electrical devices.

New Mobs
-Eel-(Ocean,Deep Ocean)Pretty common. When at Ocean depths the eel attacks by biting you. But at Deep Ocean depths the eel becomes electrified and simply being near it will electrocute you. Has strong attack and health. Has a 20% chance to drop eel skin.
-Giant Clam-(Deep Ocean) Pretty Rare. It sits on the sea floor, it doesn't move and has slow attacks. However has a high health and attack. It has a 15% chance to drop a pear when killed.
-Shark-(Deep Ocean)Common. Can only use melee attacks. Has good speed and average attack. 20% chance to drop a shark fin or 5% chance to get a shark head.
-Merfolk-(Deep Ocean)Found nowhere until you first discover a shipwreck, then they start spawning.  Uses range attack, throws balls of water at the player with average damage. Balls move slowly but this is made up for them commonly grouping.25% chance to drop a fish, 15% chance to drop a shark fin and an 8% chance for them to drop a perl.
-Fish-(Ocean)Commonly found. No attack and very little health and defence. Will swim away from player if they come near in the water. Can be caught by fishing. Drops raw fish when killed. Possibly different looks.

Shipwrecks
On the sea floor you may come across a ship that sunk along time ago. It's here were you will first encounter the Merfolk. They are what guards the wrecks and won't swim far from them. If you kill them you will then be able to get inside and loot the single old chest inside;containing valuable loot. You will also have the opportunity to mine the ship for resources and ship pieces.
Jungle Biome
The land will be smilier to that of the plains. However instead of dirt there will be mud, the grass on which will be darker, and perhaps the water can look a deeper blue? It will contain much taller tress and grass then the other biomes. As well as a array of different plants, along with the several new creatures.

New Plants
-Ebony Wood Tree
-Bamboo
-Vines-Climable
-Boswellia sacra (Tree)-When chopped not only gives wood but also drops frankincense.-Rarely Randomly spawns in jungle areas.
-Morning Glory-Hallucinogen
-Aloe Vera-Fire resistant

New Block
-Mud-non craftable
-Long Grass-non craftable
-Ebony Wood-non craftable
-Ebony Wood Planks-craftable
-Ebony Variants of Stuff i.e. door-craftable
-Bamboo Variants of Stuff i.e. door-craftable

New Items
-Bat Guano-non craftable-Use crafting bench to turn into saltpetre.
-Saltpetre-craftable-used to make gunpowder
-Sulphur-non craftable-used to make gunpowder
-Charcoal-craftable-get by burning wood-used to make gunpowder
-Gun Powder-craftable-GUNS
-Snake Venom-non craftable-Posien, Paralytic
-Petal-non craftable
-Frankincense-non craftable-Makes healing incense
-Healing Incense-craftable-when placed heals players around it.
-Monkey Pelt-non craftable-Makes leather
-Monkey Brain-non craftable-Food
-Leather-craftable-makes leather armour
-Leather Armour-craftable

New Mobs
-Bat-Fairly Common, only comes out at night. Melee attacks. Attacks by swooping down at the player. 20% chance to drop bat guano.
-Snake-Common-Melee attacks, attack speed is fairly quick. Can inflict poison.20% chance to drop snake venom.
-Monkey-Spawn regularly only in tree tops. Mainly melee but known to throw bananas. Fast attacks.25% chance to drop monkey pelt, 12% chance of dropping monkey brains.
-Venus Fly Trap-Stationary. Uses ranged attack (its tong). Very high health though.40% chance to drop a petal.
[\Spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:46:38 PM by The Jones »
Nascentes morimur, Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis. Sum mortifer.

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:32 AM »
I will be gone for a few days so keep giving ideas so when I get back I can get right to work. :D

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »
New picture in OP

So remember when i said i wasn't going to be working on the game for 1-2 days.Well.... ::) i did something on the game that won't mean much to you but it allows me to move ahead with a lot of things.. A TREE SYSTEM!!! ive needed it for a few reasons but biomes being the biggest reason.

i also reorganized my assets,scripts.etc(it will make it easier for me while coding to have them in groups).

Lastly i need your help with creating the shapes of the tress all you have to do is use these sprites ive provided below and just make trees then post the pic of what it looks like here so i can add it to the game. initially i cant add all them but when i get the biomes in they will be used(if there nice)... the type of wood don't matter so if you make a pine tree it will be pine wood in game,not the ones i provided (unless its a regular tree).

If you want to make your own sprites and have them used in the game instead of me making them please feel free.

-They just need to be 32x32 pixels.
-PNG file TY
-NOT OF THE INTERNET :)

-Please tell me what type of tree it is
-If it drops any type of fruit
(i can be a made up tree just try and explain it a little so i can understand it better.)

Here are the sprites you will use

Wood

Leaves

Any questions ask here or pm me.

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
Was Total Miner any part of the influence to make this game, as in do you think you would make it even if you didnt play total miner?

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »
Was Total Miner any part of the influence to make this game, as in do you think you would make it even if you didnt play total miner?
yea I would but from playing total mine it influenced me to want to add skills and some of the way things work. Obviously im not going to copy I'm add my own way on things that's how it influenced me.

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 01:31:18 AM »
Today I have nothing visual to see at the moment it's a bunch or sprites and code so there isn't much to  see.

Today I have finally perfected tree generation. I had to change part of the code so that I could change what type of  tree can spawn in each biome. Next biomes may be completed to a point were you can see them. At the moment it's just code to support the generation vof multiple biomes and what goes in them.

Also I would like to finish the day and night cycle tomorrow to add a nice feel to the game. How long should a day last?

Lastly thanks to people who are supporting me in this journey as I've made small simple games but its been nice to do more complex games. There are people who are optimistic about me but I know what I'm doing and the people who support me know I know what I'm doing that's what matters. :D

Bluepudding the don

• I'm feeling it now Mr. Krabs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
It needs a rideable octopus that can go in water and land.
Former names: 2pac of pudding, Blueberries for all

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 12:19:11 AM »
So today was the first bad thing to happen to me and boy did it not hold back. I loaded up the game ready to start working on it and the file was corrupted OK no problem I find the problem and fix it minor setback but nothing to bug me. So its running the I added somethings(secret for now) and it crashed.(usually not an issue) I load it up again and the file completely altered itself to the point were it would drop to 1fps when it usually run 500-800fps. So I save it and turn to trying to find a solution. Nope not gonna happen the file disappeared from my files weeks of work gone. There is so light at the end of the tunnel I found a save but its really messed up like to the point were its a black screen and nothing shows up. So I'll be seeing what my options are and trying to fix the save I have. I really hope I can get past this its not a major set back but is definitely putting a halt on things.

Bluepudding the don

• I'm feeling it now Mr. Krabs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:11 AM »
That must be very frustrating.
Former names: 2pac of pudding, Blueberries for all

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
So there is a light at the end of the tunnel just give me 3 days cause i have to do a lot to make this work. Just letting you know this may not work out and i will have to redo it.