Author Topic:  [How to] Building your own gaming PC?  (Read 8716 times)

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
Re: [How to] Building your own gaming PC?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 07:09:36 PM »
This is my build:
16GB RAM
Intel i7
GTX 970 4GB
ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac
250GB SSD/1TB HDD

Pics:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »
This is my build:
16GB RAM
Intel i7
GTX 970 4GB
ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac
250GB SSD/1TB HDD

Pics:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

How well does it run for you? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? If you remember.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Agykoo
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »
Might just stick with an HDD then, instead of a SSD. I am still debating myself now. :P Some say one thing, and then others say another thing. Confusing at times.

the most funny stuff I was reading were things like "SSD have no moving parts, so they last ifnfitnly longer then HDD"...........lol XD

but it was writing as "fanboy" stuff and agy laughed as such.

the only real reason for it failing where both power loss (because fo the way some are built). and also usage because of the way all are built, it doesint handle rewriting of information well. something to do with the way the meoery cells are each time they are rewritin it makes them smaller? or something (I am nto a tech exspert). so each tiem the information was rewritten it increased the chance for fail rate. and unlike HDDs, there is zero warning of a fail for SSD. (I also notice most only have a 3 year warranty, as opsieod to an HDDs 5 year warrenty. that says something to me right there).

don't know, never used one. maybe if I did the world would turn to rainbows and there would be pice on earth. or maybe I just payed for a hyped pice of junk. or any thing in between ^_^.

all I know is, why am I paying the price of a higher end grpahics card for a drive that has a lot less room, "susposied" greater chance of fail, all for what can only be said is faster boot time, and "hypothetical" faster other things, whiel having zero impact on video game performance.

while a lto seems of speciulation there are some thigns that for sure seem concenses among people.

Pros: (gaunrted)
faster boot time.

Cons: (garented)
much more exp for a lot less room.

Pros: (hypothetical)
faster everything (tho no impact on FPS)

Cons: (hypothetical)
much greater fail rate for even mondain things like power loss.

Nutraul: (guarnted)
zero impact on performance of gaming, Same FPS over an SSD or HDD.

looking at just the for sures and nutral, it makes no sense to get an SSD (yet). for me personaly, granted, your exprinces may differ and agy supports going out there and finding things out on your own as jack has done ^_^!
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
How well does it run for you? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? If you remember.
It runs amazingly. It was mainly built for gaming, but it does game development/programming, video editing, streaming, recording, and many other things great. It averages about 120+ FPS on most games (sometimes more), and 60+ish on more resource intensive ones. IIRC, It set me back about $1,300 (the only reason I spent so much is because I received a small inheritance, and was in need of a major upgrade).
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »
Cons: (hypothetical)
much greater fail rate for even mondain things like power loss.
From my experience, I've had many more HDD failures than SSD's. Last year my HDD failed about 3 times, and I lost about 5 months of programming work. To compensate for fail rates, most SSD's (that I've seen) come with pretty good warranties (3+ years).

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 07:27:56 PM »
It runs amazingly. It was mainly built for gaming, but it does game development/programming, video editing, streaming, recording, and many other things great. It averages about 120+ FPS on most games (sometimes more), and 60+ish on more resource intensive ones. IIRC, It set me back about $1,300 (the only reason I spent so much is because I received a small inheritance, and was in need of a major upgrade).

Very nice, I'd say if you got the money then definitely go all out with the components! :) Sounds like a great PC, I also like that you can do game development and programming with it. Very interesting.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
From my experience, I've had many more HDD failures than SSD's. Last year my HDD failed about 3 times, and I lost about 5 months of programming work. To compensate for fail rates, most SSD's (that I've seen) come with pretty good warranties (3+ years).

thus it being under hypothetical ^_^

to me tho I see the 3 year warrnety on most SSDs, and then I see a 5 year warrenty on most HDDs. that to me means the companys are more sure of there lasting HDDs then SSDs.

anywho

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
I think it's worth mentioning about SSD failures, is that if a read fails, it doesn't just spit the dummy and quit, it keeps retrying the read until it succeeds, which it eventually will. So a failed read doesn't mean you lose your data, it just means it needs to try read the data more often so it can might take longer to eventually get the data. I've had my PC for almost 2 years now, and I'm not getting any SSD failures. SSD failures are caused by too many writes to the SSD, not too many reads, so if the SSD is used as an O/S partition and not used for general user files, that will keep the number of writes to a minimum, and mitigate the chance of SSD failures.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 09:40:53 PM »
I think it's worth mentioning about SSD failures, is that if a read fails, it doesn't just spit the dummy and quit, it keeps retrying the read until it succeeds, which it eventually will. So a failed read doesn't mean you lose your data, it just means it needs to try read the data more often so it can might take longer to eventually get the data. I've had my PC for almost 2 years now, and I'm not getting any SSD failures. SSD failures are caused by too many writes to the SSD, not too many reads, so if the SSD is used as an O/S partition and not used for general user files, that will keep the number of writes to a minimum, and mitigate the chance of SSD failures.
But you would only use a partition if you are running more than one O/S right? I figure if it were just one, you really wouldn't need the SSD anyway, at least not in this instance. Other than improved disk efficiency. But I may be wrong, I'm still looking into this whole entire category of components.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
But you would only use a partition if you are running more than one O/S right? I figure if it were just one, you really wouldn't need the SSD anyway, at least not in this instance. Other than improved disk efficiency. But I may be wrong, I'm still looking into this whole entire category of components.
I am interchanging the word partition with drive. So I'm talking about using the SSD just to store the O/S and related files, say as the C:, and then your normal HDD would be the D:. So I'm not talking about partiioning the same drive into multiple partitions, sorry for the confusion.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
I am interchanging the word partition with drive. So I'm talking about using the SSD just to store the O/S and related files, say as the C:, and then your normal HDD would be the D:. So I'm not talking about partiioning the same drive into multiple partitions, sorry for the confusion.

Oh! Okay, my fault. I generalized the word to mean more than one O/S, but that makes sense now. That would actually be quite optimal, as far as speed for the C: drive. And using the HDD for the D: drive would help with preventing the SSD from becoming 'faulty'. I've been looking up some more information, like Agy, and it seems it's more favorable to have one than not. You essentially have to know how to handle it properly, otherwise bad things tend to happen to it. So I may just stick with the SSD and finally keep my mind set. lol I'll simply use it for the C: and O/S. Like you mentioned.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 11:44:35 PM »
since we are on about daul drives, when you have the os on the SSD, and a 2nd HDD.

where do things get writen to when you save something to desktop? does it go on the SSD or the HDD?? ^_^

also how big again for the OS? 100ish-G?

tho i still am nto sure its worth an extra 100+ for faster boat times ^_^, but agys always opened minded ^_^

anywho

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:44 AM »
since we are on about daul drives, when you have the os on the SSD, and a 2nd HDD.

where do things get writen to when you save something to desktop? does it go on the SSD or the HDD?? ^_^

also how big again for the OS? 100ish-G?

tho i still am nto sure its worth an extra 100+ for faster boat times ^_^, but agys always opened minded ^_^
Downloaded items will default to the drive the OS is installed on (if your OS is on an SSD it will go there), though you can almost always change this. And yes, around 100GB is enough.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
Downloaded items will default to the drive the OS is installed on (if your OS is on an SSD it will go there), though you can almost always change this. And yes, around 100GB is enough.

thank you ^_^

tho I slept on it and I think I will skip it for now. since its not gona be my personal pc I cant gaurnete that things wont go into the SSD all the time hehe XD

and the computer cant be down for 2+ weeks waiting for a return palicy. and with me not being able to gaunrete that the SSD will remain only the OS, I think its a no sadly for now.

theres also a wonder of whats gona happen when windows 10 comes out. if you do "free" update for it that means the SSD gona have to rewrite the whole OS and I don't like them odds ;D XD ^_^

anywho

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
thank you ^_^

tho I slept on it and I think I will skip it for now. since its not gona be my personal pc I cant gaurnete that things wont go into the SSD all the time hehe XD

and the computer cant be down for 2+ weeks waiting for a return palicy. and with me not being able to gaunrete that the SSD will remain only the OS, I think its a no sadly for now.

theres also a wonder of whats gona happen when windows 10 comes out. if you do "free" update for it that means the SSD gona have to rewrite the whole OS and I don't like them odds ;D XD ^_^
Well, if I can manage to get my rig going as yours is maybe we can compare and contrast with and without. Although, with totally different builds and O/S' I don't know how reliable the test would be. xD But we can always inform each other of what happens with and without. And I can tell you how it is to install a SSD, er...rather, a generalized idea. :P