Author Topic:  [How to] Building your own gaming PC?  (Read 9002 times)

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
[How to] Building your own gaming PC?
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Introduction

[How to] Building your own gaming PC?

___________________________________________________________________________________

First and foremost, I am not going to be giving a detailed 'How To' on making a gaming PC. Hence the question mark in the topic name, this is more or less a way to learn how to optimally make your own gaming PC. With help from others, and what I can provide, I am going to try and build my very own. This is more of a query topic, to help myself find the best way to make my gaming/personal computer rig. I also want to help others who may be in need of some assistance on building their own PC. This is an off shoot of Agy's topic, only mine will be for personal use and gaming. We're going to gather the best information/tips from others that we can compile to better help build a PC. I will provide simple ways to begin, because building a PC can seem overwhelming. But I found out, through various sources, that it's quite simple. It's almost HARD to mess it up, if you know what you want and need. Below I will explain the basic functional gaming computer components you will need. From there, you can expand on it with your own information, or help from others. I want this to be a discussion and help topic, as well as a learning experience for everyone. I eventually want this topic to transform into a [How To] that works for everyone. Hope you enjoy!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Basic Components

From here on out I will name the functioning pieces you will need to assemble your very own PC. The point AFTER this is which brand, how much you use, and what it is for. Mostly this will be for gaming for me, so I am thinking with that in mind. Anyway, without further ado here are the components and what they do:

• CPU- (Central Processing Unit) The key component of a computer system, which contains the circuitry necessary to interpret and execute program instructions.
  • CPU Cooler- A device that draws heat away from a CPU chip and other hot-running chips such as a graphics processor (GPU). (I believe this can be optional, unless you are over clocking something.)
  • Motherboard- The motherboard is the main circuit board of your computer and is also known as the main board or logic board. Attached to the motherboard, you'll find the CPU, ROM, memory RAM expansion slots, PCI slots, and USB ports. It also includes controllers for devices like the hard drive, DVD drive, keyboard, and mouse. Basically, the motherboard is what makes everything in your computer work together.
  • RAM- (Random Access Memory) The primary working memory in a computer, used for the temporary storage of programs and data and in which the data can be accessed directly and modified.
  • Hard Drive- A high-capacity, self-contained storage device containing a read-write mechanism plus one or more hard disks, inside a sealed unit. Also called hard disk drive.
  • Graphics Card- A printed circuit board that controls the output to a display screen.
  • Case- A computer case also known as a computer chassis, tower, system unit, cabinet, base unit or simply case, is the enclosure that contains most of the components of a computer (usually excluding the display, keyboard and mouse).
  • Power Supply- Also called a power supply unit or PSU, the component that supplies power to a computer.
*Optional-
SSD- (Solid State Drive) a storage device containing nonvolatile flash memory, used in place of a hard disk because of its much greater speed.

This is all you will need to build your own computer. From here it gets tricky as far as what to buy, what parts work well with others, etc. Basically personal preference, or others personal experience are needed. But only for folks like myself, whom have NEVER built a computer and need tips. This also goes for others that need help to. So, now we begin solving the issue, and learning new things in the mean time. And if you'd like, even talk about your own past projects. How you build them, or what you recommend for beginners, let's make this a wonderful discussion into PC building!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:18:44 PM by Jack Of Shades »

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
  • Awards Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
Re: [How to] Building your own gaming PC?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »
You could always add SSD's to the OP they are a very fast storage medium. But different to a HDD.

finally I'm useful

The White Wabbit

• Legendary Member
  • Are you a solo builder too?
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Nobodies56
  • PSN: A_Blessed_Potato
  • Steam: Ray
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
You could always add SSD's to the OP they are a very fast storage medium. But different to a HDD.

finally I'm useful
In the Case of SSD I always recommend sticking your O/S and any games which have lots of data to read since it has a very fast Read/Write speed (if I am still correct been three years since College xD )

Thanks GK for the new sig it looks great!

You may be able to teach a chimp to dance, but will he dance for your tune?

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Agykoo
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »

finally I'm useful

my only pause for SSD, is there fail rate.

now maybe they are a lot better then they used to be, but as far as I know they have a much higher fail rate then a HDD.

theres also price.

but if they have come down in fail rates I would love to know so I can update my brain ^_^
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
  • Awards Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
my only pause for SSD, is there fail rate.

now maybe they are a lot better then they used to be, but as far as I know they have a much higher fail rate then a HDD.

theres also price.

but if they have come down in fail rates I would love to know so I can update my brain ^_^

You might find this interesting http://ssdendurancetest.com/

From what I know they arent unreliable at all, but like HDD's some might last 10 years others a year lol technology can be unpredictable.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »

finally I'm useful
I think I may, considering some may want a more powerful machine. :D Thanks Kitty!

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:19:55 PM »
www.reddit.com/r/buildapc
Not a big fan of reddit, Con. I've used them before on different topics and the sources were always inaccurate and misleading.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
In the Case of SSD I always recommend sticking your O/S and any games which have lots of data to read since it has a very fast Read/Write speed (if I am still correct been three years since College xD )
So basically things you want done in a flash would be placed in SSD?

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »
So basically things you want done in a flash would be placed in SSD?
Basically, if you want something to be faster, stick it on an SSD (OS, games, etc.). I wouldn't recommend putting huge files on one, as they usually have a smaller amount of space than an HDD.
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
Basically, if you want something to be faster, stick it on an SSD (OS, games, etc.). I wouldn't recommend putting huge files on one, as they usually have a smaller amount of space than an HDD.
If you were to guesstimate, how big would the file have to be to fit under that category of 'Huge?' Just so I know for future reference. I believe only games would really go there for me.

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »
If you were to guesstimate, how big would the file have to be to fit under that category of 'Huge?' Just so I know for future reference. I believe only games would really go there for me.
I'd put only things under about 8GB - 12GB in an SSD. I suppose that could differ depending on the size of your SSD (mine is only 256GB).
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:13:49 AM »
Just posting my potential new comp specs here to get peoples opinion on it before i buy it.

(Optional) means it had different options originally but i changed them to what they are now.
4.0GHz Intel Core i7 4790 Quad Core / Eight Threaded Turbo Processor (Optional)
memory: 16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz (Optional)
Hard drive: 2TB Hard Drive + 120GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda & Kingston V300 (Optional)
Graphics: Intel HD 4600
Onboard intel HD graphics: 2GB EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 Graphics Card (Was optional)
6 USB ports :)
Warrenty: 3Years

Main thing im deciding on is if i should have a 2TB hard-drive with a 120GB SDD or just get a 2TB and save myself 50 quid as i do not understand much on a SDD.
Price around 630 pounds > 950 dollar

Took me quite awhile to research everything before i came up with this set-up so feedback needed, im not building it so it has limited options and as far as price goes i do not want to spend any more then this.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:38:18 AM »
Just posting my potential new comp specs here to get peoples opinion on it before i buy it.

(Optional) means it had different options originally but i changed them to what they are now.
4.0GHz Intel Core i7 4790 Quad Core / Eight Threaded Turbo Processor (Optional)
memory: 16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz (Optional)
Hard drive: 2TB Hard Drive + 120GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda & Kingston V300 (Optional)
Graphics: Intel HD 4600
Onboard intel HD graphics: 2GB EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 Graphics Card (Was optional)
6 USB ports :)
Warrenty: 3Years

Main thing im deciding on is if i should have a 2TB hard-drive with a 120GB SDD or just get a 2TB and save myself 50 quid as i do not understand much on a SDD.
Price around 630 pounds > 950 dollar

Took me quite awhile to research everything before i came up with this set-up so feedback needed, im not building it so it has limited options and as far as price goes i do not want to spend any more then this.

From what I understand an SSD is, more or less, optional. Mostly you just need those eight components I posted above, and if you have extra money to spend, use it on an SSD. Otherwise, I'd opt out until you got your rig optimized at the specs you want. As far as the rest, I am still learning myself, so I cannot rightly say what's what.

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
From what I understand an SSD is, more or less, optional. Mostly you just need those eight components I posted above, and if you have extra money to spend, use it on an SSD. Otherwise, I'd opt out until you got your rig optimized at the specs you want. As far as the rest, I am still learning myself, so I cannot rightly say what's what.
Thanks for the info on the sdd, from my understanding it is not that usefull considering their size, they are alot quicker at reading/righting and have an average life of around 150 years, but they can not be repeaired easily.
However you pay 3x more per gig then you do with a normal HDD.
so ima probly skip it and go for a 3TB instead of 2TB and a small SDD, and it comes out around 30 quid cheaper.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester