Author Topic:  No Man's Sky  (Read 6492 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
No Man's Sky
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:56:37 PM »
I'm really looking forward to No Mans Sky.

18 quintillion possible planets. To put that into some kind of perspective, if a new planet was discovered every second, it'd take 585 billion years before they're all discovered.

It's an MMO. When you start the game for the first time, your spawned onto your own planet, a planet that has not yet been discovered.

If you discover a new planet, you're credited with that discovery and everyone who visits that planet later will see your name.

Below is a good discussion on what's know about the game so far:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:09:11 PM by Craig »

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Agykoo
Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »
I'm really looking forward to No Mans Sky.

18 quintillion possible planets. To put that into some kind of perspective, if a new planet was discovered every second, it'd take 585 billion years before they're all discovered.

It's an MMO. When you start the game for the first time, your spawned onto your own planet, a planet that has not yet been discovered.

If you discover a new planet, you're credited with that discovery and everyone who visits that planet later will see your name.

I wonder how many people are gona play it and then realaize its an mmo, much like what happened to destiny XD
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
I wonder how many people are gona play it and then realaize its an mmo, much like what happened to destiny XD
I think people will know from the start, but I suspect it won't be an mmo in the traditonal sense, in that the universe is so large you could play for days without seeing another player..

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
I think people will know from the start, but I suspect it won't be an mmo in the traditonal sense, in that the universe is so large you could play for days without seeing another player..

I've been promised such wonders before. agy is not gona hold da breath ^_^

anywho

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
This is a unique game.

1. It is more ambitious than anything ever attempted before by any games company in history. And the team is only 6 people.
2. It is possibly a small glimpse into the future of gaming in that procedural generation will take over from hand crafted 'worlds'.

I wish them success. But they have taken a rather large bite.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
This is a unique game.

1. It is more ambitious than anything ever attempted before by any games company in history. And the team is only 6 people.
2. It is possibly a small glimpse into the future of gaming in that procedural generation will take over from hand crafted 'worlds'.

of course I wish them the best ^_^. just again I have been promised all of this before only to never get it. ^_^

anywho

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • ヽ(`⌒´)ノ
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
Ever heard of the game "Elite" I believe it was either for atari or amiga, mayb both, No man's sky seems a lot like that :D can't wait for this ge it is exactly what I have been looking for :)

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
Ever heard of the game "Elite" I believe it was either for atari or amiga, mayb both, No man's sky seems a lot like that :D can't wait for this ge it is exactly what I have been looking for :)
No Man's Sky and Elite are the same core game in more ways than most might realise, particularly the procedural part. No Man's Sky is the modern equivalent with all the benefits modern technology brings, much bigger universe, mmo, beautiful, diverse, detailed planets you can actually land on, explore and extract resources from, near infinite variety, etc.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • ヽ(`⌒´)ノ
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 02:32:44 AM »
No Man's Sky and Elite are the same core game in more ways than most might realise, particularly the procedural part. No Man's Sky is the modern equivalent with all the benefits modern technology brings, much bigger universe, mmo, beautiful, diverse, detailed planets you can actually land on, explore and extract resources from, near infinite variety, etc.
no man's sky is a little of what I expected out of destiny when it was first announced, very disappointed with destiny now, it is incredible how 6 people can create a game like this! Wonder how long they spent on it.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
Quote from: Craig on December 06, 2014, 10:56:37 PM<blockquote>I'm really looking forward to No Mans Sky.

</blockquote>

Did a bit of reading up on this one.. sounds promising. I like what I see so far...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:28:15 PM by DiamondBack662 »

Atlas Telamon

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »
This is a unique game.

ambitious is usually a word used to describe broken games... I hope this one turns out okay.

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
Quote from: Atlas Telamon on Today at 08:16:59 PM<blockquote>ambitious is usually a word used to describe broken games... I hope this one turns out okay.
</blockquote>

am·bi·tious
amˈbiSHəs/
adjective
adjective: ambitious

having or showing a strong desire and determination to succeed.

Atlas Telamon

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
Quote from: Atlas Telamon on Today at 08:16:59 PM<blockquote>ambitious is usually a word used to describe broken games... I hope this one turns out okay.
</blockquote>

am·bi·tious
amˈbiSHəs/
adjective
adjective: ambitious

having or showing a strong desire and determination to succeed.
its also often used when a game isn't as good as the concept sounds

#BanAtlas

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 09:09:56 PM »
Quote from: Atlas Telamon on Today at 08:53:10 PM<blockquote>its also often used when a game isn't as good as the concept sounds
</blockquote>

Only if it is to describe "in despite of" type type articles... such as "He made an ambitious attempt to win the race but came in last."
In which case it is pointing out that while ambitious, it still failed. Ambition towards great things is what drives people to success as well as all too common failure. You must have ambition to attempt any venture. Describing a game as ambitious is not by any means saying it is not a good game.. that's idiotic.

Atlas Telamon

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
Quote from: Atlas Telamon on Today at 08:53:10 PM<blockquote>its also often used when a game isn't as good as the concept sounds
</blockquote>

Only if it is to describe "in despite of" type type articles... such as "He made an ambitious attempt to win the race but came in last."
In which case it is pointing out that while ambitious, it still failed. Ambition towards great things is what drives people to success as well as all too common failure. You must have ambition to attempt any venture. Describing a game as ambitious is not by any means saying it is not a good game.. that's idiotic.

I never said ambitious means bad. I'm saying that its a red flag for me when people start calling it "ambitious", as "ambitious" games rarely live up to their promise

#BanAtlas