Author Topic: [Unanswered] Hacking In Multiplayer  (Read 364 times)

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
[Unanswered] Hacking In Multiplayer
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:23:27 AM »
So I have noticed that it is extremely easy to modify the quantity of items that you are holding, your health, stats etc through the use of third party programs. I was wondering if there is a plan on how to counter this for when multiplayer releases.

Reasons are obvious - I don't exactly like the idea of people joining my game and spawning in boat loads of money, ruining fragile economies in my worlds.

Thanks!

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: TotalMiner
Re: Hacking In Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »
I was thinking about this myself. Hopefully there will be a way to stop this from happening. Maybe some kind of anti-cheat, yet i don't think it's classed as cheating. Meh it's hard to think what to do, let's hope Craig's magical mind thinks of something.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 5 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
I dont know much about the networking part of game development, but Craig could probably set the worlds to only run off of the host's files, and make the other players that join use none of their files, other than the player files. Kind of like minecraft, where you join a world, and it prompts you that it uses a mod, and if you want to install it.

That could also cause a few problems with shady files being hidden in the mod folder though...

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
  • My Forgeplex is better ;)
  • Awards 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 5 years on site Top contributors to the forum downloads. 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
I dont know much about the networking part of game development, but Craig could probably set the worlds to only run off of the host's files, and make the other players that join use none of their files, other than the player files. Kind of like minecraft, where you join a world, and it prompts you that it uses a mod, and if you want to install it.

That could also cause a few problems with shady files being hidden in the mod folder though...
Oh my, I do believe you misunderstand. What's contained in the mod folder isn't the main issue. The main issue, is that I could join a world, load up a cheat tool, and give myself an unending supply of gold if I so wanted to.

cY Agent 115

• Death to trolls on the forums
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: cY Agent 115
  • Steam: cY Agent 115
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
I'm not aware of any exploits. Plus Craig released a patch targeting exploits so hopefully that's the solution

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
I'm not aware of any exploits. Plus Craig released a patch targeting exploits so hopefully that's the solution
Nope it hasn't fixed the issue...

Having world's completely hosted by the host I know can work in most games when it comes to hacking variables, I'm not sure how it works, but I know it's possible.
I believe this can work as a sort of anti-cheat too when the variable on the client side doesn't match what the host has.

Justyn

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ipodman365247
  • Steam: 2062
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
Most of the reason that the game is so exploitable in MP at the moment is the fact that its heavily based on the code from 360. On that platform everything was client-sided, due to the fact that it was so limited. I'm sure once a more official MP implementation is put in place by Craig, he will transition it to a more server-sided approach which would solve most if not all of the exploits. In regards to unlockables, theres a few ways to go about solving that issue. We'll see.  ::)