Author Topic:  Two Tom's  (Read 319 times)

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: TotalMiner
Two Tom's
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:49:54 AM »
We all know Tom, our Global Moderator. When anyway someone registered today with the same username. Really confused by this. Below is a screenshot to prove there are 2 members named Tom, Weird.

Screenshot:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Two Tom's
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:33:59 AM »
People can have the same username there's no bug or error here. Profiles are based off of ID's allowing people to have the same name. We could have 100 Tom's if we wanted to. It would be a little bit confusing if he was active but a lot of people made forum accounts recently just because of the game release.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: TotalMiner
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:36:42 AM »
People can have the same username there's no bug or error here. Profiles are based off of ID's allowing people to have the same name. We could have 100 Tom's if we wanted to. It would be a little bit confusing if he was active but a lot of people made forum accounts recently just because of the game release.

Really, i did not know this. I thought it was 1 username per person. Like Xbox Gamertags, well thanks for clearing that up.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »

Really, i did not know this. I thought it was 1 username per person. Like Xbox Gamertags, well thanks for clearing that up.

That is kinda the case. Nobody else can be named Dryym. Not without trickery. The person's original username cannot be used by anyone but them. Name changes are fair game though.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
It's not possible for two users to have the same username. The database would likely not allow it due to conflicts.

The second Tom will likely contain a foreign character, just like how they're sometimes used to avoid the shoutbox censor.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
Really? I was completely unaware of this. My bad, spreading the fake news :P

Sorryyy
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »
It's not possible for two users to have the same username. The database would likely not allow it due to conflicts.

The second Tom will likely contain a foreign character, just like how they're sometimes used to avoid the shoutbox censor.

Negative on that. Go here (Or if your page settings aren't the same as mine, You may need to find the page yourself.) and Ctrl+F "Tom".

My guess is that our Tom signed up to the forums under a different name, And since the proper username "Tom" was not taken, And is instead being used as a nickname, It was allowed somehow. Assuming I am correct, This means that if Tom ever changes his username, He will not be able to change it back to Tom.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
I should change my name to "Third Tom". Because that's the true meaning of christmas

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
  • Awards Former MotM winners 4 years on site I AM THE LAW! Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
Ok, to clear things up when you create an account, you will create a unique username that is different to everyone else’s and you can not change it.

However, on the forums we all have a Display name which can be changed and can be the same as someone else’s. These two toms share the same display name but they both have different  usernames to log into the forums.

If I wanted to, I could change everyone’s display name to Potato, but all your usernames you log in with will still be the same when you first created your account. Just everyone will see your display name as Potato instead of your username.

Username is different to display name.

Hope that clears this up.