Author Topic:  Total Miner on Linux  (Read 503 times)

notanaccount2

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Total Miner on Linux
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:59:32 AM »
Heya, was wondering how do you get this to run on Linux via wine? What all dlls and such would i need to install, and would it require a 32bit or 64bit prefix?

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Total Miner on Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:03:16 AM »
I think Ieyfo runs Linux so if you don't get an answer then it might be worth asking him.
Gl,
Crab.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 06:37:46 AM »
It isn't anything against the OS. That's just a ton of extra work for something that will realistically only benefit 5-10% of players. Whereas Craig could spend that time working on the game itself and benefit 100% of the players. Same logic would apply to Linux. I would imagine most anyone interested in PC gaming and running either Linux/Mac is already, or should seriously consider dual booting with Windows, since Linux/Mac gaming is to be blunt, a wasteland.

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

notanaccount2

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
I think Ieyfo runs Linux so if you don't get an answer then it might be worth asking him.
Thanks, I'll have to look into it.

It isn't anything against the OS. That's just a ton of extra work for something that will realistically only benefit 5-10% of players. Whereas Craig could spend that time working on the game itself and benefit 100% of the players. Same logic would apply to Linux. I would imagine most anyone interested in PC gaming and running either Linux/Mac is already, or should seriously consider dual booting with Windows, since Linux/Mac gaming is to be blunt, a wasteland.
Yes yes, I know its officially unsupported, hence why I opened a topic on it on the forums rather then pestering the devs about something that wouldn't happen.
As for dual-booting, there's a myriad of reasons to run a program through wine rather then through dual-booting. For that matter a VM would probably work just the same as dual-booting, and be far more secure, I am just trying to figure out how to run it through Wine first before trying any of that.

notanaccount2

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »
Got around to getting this going after the holiday stuff, fairly straight-forward.
A 32-bit wineprefix is required as with most steam games, and all else that is needed is dotnet (used 4 for this and it seems to be working fine) screenshot here of total miner working under wine https://s10.postimg.org/bajn89iex/Screenshot_2018-01-01_10-03-18.png
So everything seems to be working fine and not much is needed to get it running, so that's good.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
That's really cool. Any chance you could post a step by step guide? Or are there too many variables?

loganchill

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: loganchill
  • Steam: loganchillwow
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »
yes i would like to know as i am on a Linux

Justyn

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ipodman365247
  • Steam: 2062
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Just installing Windows Steam under wine and using winetricks to install dotnet40 is sufficient to get the game running. It's unfortunate I have been unable to get it working using something like XNAtoFNA, but that'd be much of a waste of time since it won't provide very many benefits aside from not using wine and having a slightly lower crash chance. I'm praying for MonoGame  :,(.