Author Topic: [PC] Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion  (Read 58894 times)

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
[PC] Re: Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion
« Reply #600 on: December 11, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »
Is it possible to have the world folders within the Maps folder be titled as the world name? Or would this be too tricky due to being able to rename worlds in game?

If the latter then what about a world.xml file which contains the world name? I know it shows in header.dat but having an easy to read name somewhere would help to identify which world is which folder.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
Re: Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion
« Reply #601 on: December 11, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Is it possible to have the world folders within the Maps folder be titled as the world name?
Yes it's on my todo list. It was never a problem on Xbox because the folder names weren't visible.

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
  • My Forgeplex is better ;)
  • Awards 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 5 years on site Top contributors to the forum downloads. 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #602 on: December 11, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »
3 .xml files, 1 .png, 1339 lines of text (probably plenty I don't actually need and will clean up later). Modding is fairly easy in all honesty. Well, adding items is at least.

Lord Leo

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
  • Awards 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Circle cat113
« Reply #603 on: December 11, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
Is it possible to have the world folders within the Maps folder be titled as the world name?
Yes it's on my todo list. It was never a problem on Xbox because the folder names weren't visible.
How will worlds + mods work as in multiplayer?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: December 11, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »
How will worlds + mods work as in multiplayer?
Probably one of these two:
1. The Host must send the mod(s) files to the client before the client can join the session.
2. The client must download/install the mod(s) themselves before it can join the session.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #605 on: December 11, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »

The only issue I see with it is if TM keeps any files within the world folder open whilst the respective world is in use. As I imagine you wont be able to rename the folder then.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #606 on: December 11, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
The only issue I see with it is if TM keeps any files within the world folder open whilst the respective world is in use. As I imagine you wont be able to rename the folder then.
No files are kept open.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #607 on: December 13, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
I know you probably get this alot, but do you think that there will be a way to create total miner servers that are up even when the host isn't on, like you can do now with realms on Minecraft Xbox?

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Fuertey

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #608 on: December 13, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
I know you probably get this alot, but do you think that there will be a way to create total miner servers that are up even when the host isn't on, like you can do now with realms on Minecraft Xbox?

Yes. It will be possible as soon as Multiplayer is released. How difficult it will be is yet to be seen. But it will be possible.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • This Hotel Sucks
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MoiraIsEasyPOTG
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: OffenderMcGee
« Reply #609 on: December 13, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Yes. It will be possible as soon as Multiplayer is released. How difficult it will be is yet to be seen. But it will be possible.

Wouldn't it cost money to keep a server open?
Miner Of The Month - April 2014

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
  • Awards Former MotM winners 4 years on site I AM THE LAW! Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
« Reply #610 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »

Well if it took a Minecraft Realms approach, then yes money would go towards servers hosted by Craig Iíd imagine which I doubt will happen. But if Craig finds a way so people can host it on their computer without the game running and their computer is remained on, then itíll just be electricity bill.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #611 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »

If you went with a 3rd party who wasn't affiliated with Craig or TM then yes.

There's no guarantee that Craig will provide a service like that but if he did then it would also cost him money so he would be likely to charge for it aswell.

A reliable service with good servers and infrastructure costs a decent amount of money to run.

But if Craig finds a way so people can host it on their computer without the game running and their computer is remained on, then itíll just be electricity bill.

A proper server would still cost less than what it'd cost someone to leave their PC on 24/7 in electric. It would also provide much better infrastructure and connectivity.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • This Hotel Sucks
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MoiraIsEasyPOTG
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: OffenderMcGee
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »

Id be willing to try it out. <$10 isn't a terrible price in the case of Minecraft.
Miner Of The Month - April 2014

Fuertey

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
Id be willing to try it out. <$10 isn't a terrible price in the case of Minecraft.

Pricing would likely scale up on what's needed like slots & ram etc... When comparing it with other gameservers i'd expect the lowest to be around $5 for 8-10 slots and 1-2gb ram. For $10 i'd expect around 20 slots and 4gb ram.

It could be less or more depending on how resource hungry it is but from my experience of selling gameservers that would be pretty much average pricing.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
I guess it could be a way to bring in money from the game. Even if there are like 12 people that buy it.

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas