Author Topic: [Other] In Game Coding: A Blessing to Some, But a Curse to Others  (Read 306 times)

legohead2000

• Drowning in spaaaaaaace!
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Legohead2000
  • Steam: Dawnbreaker508
[Other] In Game Coding: A Blessing to Some, But a Curse to Others
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
Especially to those who are terrible coders who just want to put a cool idea in the Ideas section. On a consistent basis,  I see someone come up with this interesting idea that would be super cool to implement (especially for those who weren't born coding gurus) and there's always some person in the thread saying things like "Well you could just script that in there it's not that hard". Yes, I'm sure some people are aware that you can, but others arent, and others can't just easily throw a bunch of coding like they were born to do it. Heck, if they didn't even think about it, what makes you expect them to know what codes to use and in what order without even telling them how to do it after telling them it's so easy?
Yes, coding in-game can be a blessing to some, but it's tedious and downright confusing to others
Is this the little awesome thing that people use to put lifelong quotes under their comments?

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
Re: In Game Coding: A Blessing to Some, But a Curse to Others
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
So are you asking Craig to go in and code in an effect for every single item that was thrown in to please the scripters that asked for it? Craig wasn't really wanting guns in (from what I remember) and he was asked very much, which made them go through (also a GTA V map at the time)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:37 AM »
but it's tedious and downright confusing to others
Then these people should not do it. It is not a requirement to play the game.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »
As far as I can tell, You don't need any "coding talent" to be able to script in this game.

I have never looked into an actual programming language (Well, That's technically a lie. I learned the tiniest bit of lua a loooooong while back, But I have forgotten it by now.) and yet many people who are great with scripts say I am one of the best scripters on the game.

Total Miner scripts are so much easier to understand with no prior knowledge. If you looked at the C# code to do an action with no prior experience to C#, You'd be super confused. The TM scripts would at least give you a chance to understand what is going on.

In the end, It's just basic logic. If Something is true Then Do action Else Do other action

Also, To the thing about certain ideas being scriptable, I don't always agree with this way of thinking, But a large amount of ideas that I would say this to would either be easier to script than for Craig to add into the game, Or they are controversial ideas that a lot of people wouldn't like.

Some of these include a hunger system, Sprinting, Guns, Etc.

Yes, Not everyone can script well, But the people that can are able to share scripts with others. It just makes the community stronger.

Like it or not, Scripts are one of this game's best features. And if it wasn't for the potential I saw in the scripts and building, I may have left this game years ago.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym