Author Topic:  Concrete and Glass TP  (Read 1403 times)

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
Concrete and Glass TP
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »

Concrete and Glass is a 32x32 (HD) texture pack with a 21st century theme. I'm leaning more towards the vacation resort city feel, hence the style of the banner.

I'm not an expert graphics designer. However, I do have eyes, and about 18 years of experience using them. If I don't like the look of something, I'll keep trying until I feel it's better looking.

Sometimes, though, I overlook details. So I'm open to suggestions and constructive criticism.

I value the opinions of all who care to give one, but value moreso the opinions of modern builders, as they know best what is needed.

I'll probably give a bit of info on the textures as I put them up. Helps to understand my techniques, plus I enjoy that sort of documentation.

Index:
•Items: Reply #1
•Blocks: Reply #2
•Overflow: Reply #3

Disclaimer: This texture pack will not be on the 360 version. I may work fast, but not THAT fast.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:46:05 PM by PWRBTTN »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Concrete and Glass TP
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:03:43 PM »
ITEMS:

Spoiler for Sledgehammer:
Sledgehammer

Comments: My mother's sledgehammer was the item I used to model this. I also used my handy floodlight for shading. Those grooves are practically impossible to shade right in 32 pixels. I managed fine, though. I think so, anyway. The main problem I ran into, is that without shading, the two pixel wide handle felt wrong. I held back my urge, though. Now I feel any other thickness would be awful.

Spoiler for Wood Sword:
Wood Sword

Comments: I don't have a baseball bat. So I decided guessing couldn't hurt, and gave it a... SWING... That was awful.

Spoiler for Gold Pieces:
Gold Pieces

Comments: It looks like a camouflage sock because I didn't bother pulling my wallet out to see what a dollar looks like. However, for some reason, I'm plenty willing to go to the store to look at the automatic doors. It's not bad, though... I mean... honestly... It's not awful... I can redo it if you all think it sucks...

Spoiler for Potion:
I'm not familiar with the new potions, as I've not played 2.45 yet. So this is just replacing any non-specific potion.

Comments: Seriously... do you think I'd make a modern texture pack withOUT adding coffee? Pssshhh. Puh-lease. This will probably end up being the new Essencia potion, because it fits the description. Yes, I went to the coffeehouse to get a cup for this. Oh, and those three dots on the zarf is a recycling symbol.

Spoiler for Potion:
I'm not familiar with the new potions, as I've not played 2.45 yet. So this is just replacing any non-specific potion.

Comments: Yes, it's wine. Red wine. White wine is the next one down. Yes, I only changed the colour. Shoot me. It seemed logical. Not only did I feel it was necessary in a vacation resort style city, but they were also a bit of a tribute to one of my favourite modern builders, Jack of Shades. I know he likes wine.

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: See? White wine. Shoot me. By the way, it's transparent. You just can't tell. There will be other items that are partially transparent, but you can't tell. Most white wines are relatively see-through, though. Whereas red wines, not so much. Not in the dark glass bottles they usually put it in. So...

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: This is one of those nasty protein shakes that smells like sulphur, and supposedly "Boosts your muscle gain in under a week!". I prefer the powder ones you mix up with milk. Not a huge fan of the texture, but I want a protein shake texture for uses relevant to the strength skill. If anyone comes up with a better generic-looking protein shake texture, I'll gladly use it over mine.

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: When I think modern drinks, soda-pop is usually the first one to... POP... into my head. Man, that was soda-mb...

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: This is a sports drink. I drank a lot of powerade recently, so it was fresh on my mind. Probably the only reason I added this one.

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: I did use a vodka bottle as the model for this one. They're honestly not all that ugly. Plus, I'd be lying if I said they weren't readily available around my house, even if they are empty.

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: This is a bottle of scotch. There's a lot of textures modeled after alcoholic beverages for two reasons. Firstly, alcohol is pretty much a staple in a tourism city. Secondly, they're easily obtainable around my house. I'm not a creativity genie spewing an infinite font of idea wishes.

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: Mmm, sweet hug juice. Boy, I hope the filter is still working...

EDIT: Well... I thought it'd filter to ghug. Hmm...

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: Originally, I did think these juices were a bit small, but they are 10 pixels tall. It's not like they're super tiny. I can't be sure how it'll turn out yet, though.

Spoiler for Potion:

Comments: This should be the last alcohol, unless I decide to do rum. This is beer. Due to it's yellowness (beneath the green, which belongs to the bottle), the colour on this one defines it as a pale lager, so as far as I'm concerned, it's not much different than the next item.

Spoiler for Bottle of Water:
Bottle of Water

Comments: Honestly one of my least favourite textures when I was making it. Not like it was hard or anything. Just didn't seem all too special. I do like the result over most other textures by this point, though.

Spoiler for Predator Amulet:
Predator Amulet

Comments: It's based off of a necktie. I decided that since it's black, it's more tactical. So the Predator Amulet made sense to me. I did literally just pull a necktie out of my wardrobe and draw it. Not too bad, but I wanted to get into some other items.

Spoiler for Amulet of Farsight:
Amulet of Farsight

Comments: It is just a recolour of the Predator Amulet sprite, but I did use an actual necktie of mine to figure out about how the colours would bend.

Spoiler for Leather Body:
Leather Body

Comments: another case where I just pulled a bit of clothing out to draw it. Originally, it was nice and folded. However, I wasn't going to get a decent sprite out of it. So instead, I unfolded it. The sprite looked like it was supposed to, but it wasn't good looking. So I reluctantly gave in to wrinkling it up to get a sprite better for an MD texture. It worked, but now I have to iron a shirt.

Spoiler for Steel Body:
Steel Body

Comments: I did the blue one first, and this is obviously a recolour. I regret the decision, because it was much harder to un-colourify something without going black and white, because it just turned grey. So... yeh. Rough stuff.

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:37:42 PM by PWRBTTN »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
BLOCKS:

Spoiler for Dirt:
Dirt

Tiling sample to show smooth tiling

Comments: I took a picture of some exposed dirt in my yard and blurred it a whole bunch until there were only three colours. Then I made a bunch of scribbles using the pencil tool in those three colours and added noise to the little square with no colour saturation. It turned out looking like literal dirt, which is the desired outcome in this situation.

Spoiler for Grass:
Grass Top

Grass Side

Comments: I'm super proud of these textures. I made the soil darker as it gets closer to the grass because nutrients and water gather there. Also, you can see the yellow roots from the grass creep down into the ground. Most modern cities are relatively flat, and when you do see dirt, it's usually accompanied by patches of uprooted or dying grass (i.e. construction sites or low income residential zones).

Spoiler for Steel Door:
Steel Door

Comments: The reason I made the steel door this type of door is because it can be opened by anyone like a public establishment, and it can be activated by power. I actually walked down to the grocery store to get a better look at these doors. I feel it turned out okay. I'd perform more revisions on it, but I like the current result. I didn't add any hinges in case someone wanted to do an automatic door. Fun fact: I walk too fast for the open speed of the automatic doors at the grocery store.

Spoiler for Locked Door:
Locked Door

Comments: I pulled a door just like this out of my father's toolshed, and it when it got dark, I illuminated it from the top right corner with a floodlight. Reason being, I couldn't figure out how to shade it because I couldn't figure out how light would hit the grooves and panels. This was chosen for a locked door because it's a residential style door. You don't want your neighbours wandering into your house, do you? Which reminds me, I still need a doorknob. I just wasn't sure which side to place it on.

Spoiler for Painting:
Painting

Comments: I spent 2 minutes on the frame, then messed around trying to draw something pretty for the picture. It looked so terrible, I waited until I could get a ride out pass the farmsteads. Then took some pictures with my phone. I cropped them into squares, then resized them to 28 pixels and pasted them into the frame. Much prettier than I could have drawn. I might post the original pictures I took with my phone, although, most of them were interrupted by telephone poles.

Spoiler for Furnace:
Furance Side Off

Furnace Side On

I forget whether Furnace has a unique top or if it uses another block's texture. So I didn't do it yet. When I figure it out, I'll do it.

Comments: Entirely freehand. I impressed myself. I thought about what I wanted, and figured it'd be best if I made it a modern, electric range instead of an actual furnace or smeltery. The digital interface bugs me, though. Just not much I could do.

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:

Spoiler for VACANT:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:59:03 PM by PWRBTTN »

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
[RESERVED]

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
What theme is this TP gonna have? Modern, futuristic, medievil!"?

And,

When will you start working on the actual textures?
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
... um...
a 21st century theme. I'm leaning more towards the vacation resort city feel, hence the style of the banner.
but value moreso the opinions of modern builders
... so... Modern...

I'll put them up in a couple minutes. I'm having a problem with them. They look all blurry. I may have to resize them to show up clearer if they stay blurry.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »
... um...
a 21st century theme. I'm leaning more towards the vacation resort city feel, hence the style of the banner.
but value moreso the opinions of modern builders
... so... Modern...

I feel stupid.. XD,

Thanks

I'll put them up in a couple minutes. I'm having a problem with them. They look all blurry. I may have to resize them to show up clearer if they stay blurry.

Ahh, okay, if you need help with posting them, i could PM you my email, and i can host them. Sometimes it works better from a different device :/ :D

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
If you ever want help, It turns out I can do some pretty nice textures on my tablet. As you have seen with my bamboo, Moon, Etc.

I don't know about more modern stuff, But I sure can try.
I may not be much of a modern builder, But I know you will respect my opinions nonetheless.

Speaking of which, Your dirt looks more like sand to me. Either sand, Or really really dry dirt. I love the roots on the side of the grass though.

Creator of the term "Deathmine ©"
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »
Speaking of which, Your dirt looks more like sand to me. Either sand, Or really really dry dirt. I love the roots on the side of the grass though.
The dirt in my area tends to be lighter. In fact, the best dirt/soil you can get from the state I live in is this gross grey-brown stuff. It's called something like mononghelia silt or something.

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:36 PM »
The dirt in my area tends to be lighter. In fact, the best dirt/soil you can get from the state I live in is this gross grey-brown stuff. It's called something like mononghelia silt or something.

This stuff? Eww.

I mean, Good job, But eewww.

This is why I don't build modern much. I don't live in Tokyo, Everything around anywhere I have lived is so ugly.

Edit:

I don't know if PWR plans on using it, But here's an item I made.

FN P90, One of my favourite firearms. It's so pretty.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:45:17 PM by Dryym »

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 01:19:28 AM »
Added a bunch of other textures. Mostly (maybe only?) items. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, Dryym, I'll add the FN P90, but I'll probably see if I can give it a go first before using your texture. I'm not good at guns, though. So I probably will end up using yours.

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 07:07:43 AM »
Added a bunch of other textures. Mostly (maybe only?) items. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, Dryym, I'll add the FN P90, but I'll probably see if I can give it a go first before using your texture. I'm not good at guns, though. So I probably will end up using yours.

I can make the rest of the guns for you if you want. I think I'm pretty decent at it.

Also, As far as I know, TM doesn't support translucency on items. You don't really need to change it though, As we discovered in the old future TP, Any translucent pixels just become solid.

Since you went through your processes, I'll go through mine.

I pulled up a couple pictures of the P90 and made the silhouette solid black.
Then I put the magazine in the gun.
Then I had a genius idea to put bullets in a diagonal pattern like you see on the actual gun and overlay it with a translucent version of the colour of the magazine.

Then I shaded by overlaying very translucent black and white pixels.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
TM doesn't support translucency on items.
I thought it did. Hmm...
Well, if it doesn't, these still don't look all that bad solid. Although, if we get a craig in here, perhapshe could tell us for sure. Also, maybe he could tell us whether or not it'd be possible or worth it to add alpha support to items. Of course not on 360, though.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 09:26:38 AM »
You've achieved an incredible sense of realism in all your designs, which is really unique and awesome. Keep it up.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 09:27:05 AM »
Water and lava are translucent...