Author Topic:  [How to] Search Bar. [New Members]  (Read 1343 times)

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
[How to] Search Bar. [New Members]
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
Before I begin, this is a guide that could be put under this page if possible. I noticed a lot of new members (and old ones) do not know how the search bar works. I can show one how to use it with simple pictures and easy instructions.

[HOW TO] USING THE SEARCH BAR

Intro.

Most members are unsure how to properly use the search bar, or how to use it and find results they are looking for. Most just type in random things, or don't even bother. Mostly expecting an idea or page has not been thought of yet. As most members tell other new members (and old ones as well) "use the search bar." It's true, no one really has explained how this bar works. I will give a very simple and picture oriented guide on the use of the Search Bar.

*Step 1. Search Bar?

The search bar itself is located in the upper right hand corner of almost any page you visit on the forums. It's positioned above the updates on important information for the site. This is where you type in your search query that you wish to locate.

*Step 2. "Universal Search"

What I've done here as an example is typed in "RPG" while on the main forums page. This will bring you to ANY topic on any thread that contains the word, or phrase, 'RPG.' This is what usually gets in the way of specific searches for members. Typically you can have pages and pages of topics with the word or phrase you mean to find. In turn, it can frustrate a member into never searching for something again. Us this if you know there won't be a wide array of findings in your search query.

*Step 3. Specific Topic Search

Now this method, one would type in the name of something they wish to find ONLY under a certain topic. Perhaps a phrase or term used in the type of search they would typically find for their best results. In the photo above I clicked the 'Idea' topic and used the search bar at the top to find a specific key word I needed. In this case, it was for 'Dragon.' Now, the results will show me EVERY topic which has used the word 'Dragon' helping me narrow my search. This is especially useful for folks that want to find out whether a topic exists for a certain idea. It can also be used to find out whether topics have been made for certain movies, tv shows, video games, etc.

Conclusion.

So basically this is all you need to know on how to properly use the Search Bar for Total Miner Forums. It's not too difficult and once you start to use it more often, you'll get the hang of it. You can narrow down and find many topics and pages that would normally have you searching for AGES! Specific finds a topic quicker than Universal. I hope this helps, Happy Mining!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:25:05 AM by Jack Of Shades »

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Legendary Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
Re: [How to] Search Bar. [New Members]
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 01:23:51 AM »
An extra useful thing is using multiple words in your search. Every time you put a space between your words in the search bar, it will search for a topic/reply with each of those words present.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 01:33:07 AM »
An extra useful thing is using multiple words in your search. Every time you put a space between your words in the search bar, it will search for a topic/reply with each of those words present.

Indeed, it further narrows down a search result. Giving you a more optimal find. Thanks for that, Trub.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
Bump for relevance. Please read this if you are UNSURE about how to use the Search Bar. If you have any questions, PLEASE post them here. They can be answered by several members.

Muffin

• Elite Member
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: RawrMeMuffinMan
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:09:49 PM »
Bump :3
This is something not enough people use.

http://prntscr.com/dqrw9s
The Gold Knight [08|Dec 09:11 PM]: I'm sorry, but I speak English... A language that has coherent thoughts that can be understood.

Ark

• YouTuber
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
Thanks for this guide Jack

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
I feel this deserves another bump. Too many widespread non-search bar using members. Also due to recent activity. Ahem*

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »
Bump for relevance.