Author Topic:  HW Avatar Concept  (Read 6075 times)

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
Re: HW Avatar Concept
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
Remember way back in ancient times when I told you there was too much going on with color clashing and so much over detailing that it hurt my eyes to look at the avatar?

That is a thing of the ancient past. There is none of that now. His features are so easily distinguishable now that the original models are god awful ugly. The colors are perfect. Nothing clashes and there is no high contrast. It is very smooth and easy on the eyes. It is a world of a difference. (I haven't seen him since the first iteration before the major model overhaul)

The new one is perfect and pretty much exactly along the lines of what I wanted to see you change him into when you first started. He would also be fun to toy with color schemes just like the original. I'd love to do that again.

If I had to really nit pick something out of nowhere just for the heck of it the only real thing I can come up with is that I can't really distinguish the staff from his body. The only problem with that is that it isn't really possible to fix. Trying to change the colors to any other possible scheme would probably end up for the worst. In fact, it would most likely just reintroduce all of the problems that were present before if you did change the colors for it to stand out more. The only thing I could recommend would just be to remove it entirely. Might look better with the way item wielding looks anyway.

Either way he will look great whether or not he has the staff. Really well done this time around. You know me to be a huge critique down to the smallest detail but I think you have finally found what really works.

Fantastic.
A+
Well done.

I really want to mess with that thing now and change his colors lol.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2016, 07:25:57 PM »
It is very fun to mess around with the colour schemes.

I made a variant that I refer to as the "Blood Wraith" a little while back.

It's funny, You said basically exactly what I did about this new model.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Derfen Steve
  • Steam: Derfen Steve
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
Remember way back in ancient times when I told you there was too much going on with color clashing and so much over detailing that it hurt my eyes to look at the avatar?

That is a thing of the ancient past. There is none of that now. His features are so easily distinguishable now that the original models are god awful ugly. The colors are perfect. Nothing clashes and there is no high contrast. It is very smooth and easy on the eyes. It is a world of a difference. (I haven't seen him since the first iteration before the major model overhaul)

The new one is perfect and pretty much exactly along the lines of what I wanted to see you change him into when you first started. He would also be fun to toy with color schemes just like the original. I'd love to do that again.

If I had to really nit pick something out of nowhere just for the heck of it the only real thing I can come up with is that I can't really distinguish the staff from his body. The only problem with that is that it isn't really possible to fix. Trying to change the colors to any other possible scheme would probably end up for the worst. In fact, it would most likely just reintroduce all of the problems that were present before if you did change the colors for it to stand out more. The only thing I could recommend would just be to remove it entirely. Might look better with the way item wielding looks anyway.

Either way he will look great whether or not he has the staff. Really well done this time around. You know me to be a huge critique down to the smallest detail but I think you have finally found what really works.

Fantastic.
A+
Well done.

Thank you, A lot of work and thought was put into it,

I would like to note that before I finalized it, I did seriously consider removing the staff, I also changed the staff color scheme a few times but nothing worked better.

Ultimately I could not bring myself to remove the staff.

Unfortunately I left a small design inside the halo when I shared it to Craig, Quickly realized that it drew attention away from his overall look,
I asked Craig to clear the inside design of the halo for me, So fingers crossed he gets around to it before submitting.

If I was to change anything for STEAM I would possibly remove the staff, (Still like it for now) Or work on shaping the hood once more.

Other than that i'm pretty satisfied with it.

Anytime your on I can share it with you, Its defiantly a blast to play with the color scheme, But I think the one I chose fits best. I tried a bunch, more than a bunch lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:40:10 PM by Steve »

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »

Fantastic.
A+
Well done.

I would like to note that before I finalized it, I did seriously consider removing the staff, I also changed the staff color scheme a few times but nothing worked better.

Unfortunately I left a small design inside the halo when I shared it to Craig, Quickly realized that it drew attention away from his overall look,
I asked Craig to clear the inside design of the halo for me, So fingers crossed he gets around to it before submitting.

If I was to change anything for STEAM I would possibly remove the staff, (Still like it for now) Or work on shaping the hood once more.

Or you could decide to like my concept inspired version better and completely replace it. ;)

Steve

• Elite Member
  • Awards Unique Content Contributors Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »

Or you could decide to like my concept inspired version better and completely replace it. ;)

Its much much easier to build something when you have a design/proportions to somewhat follow and look at when its sitting 30 blocks away  ;) :P

I'm sure yours will turn out great though.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
I'm sure yours will turn out great though.

Are you sure you aren't just saying this due to some bias towards me?

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »

Fantastic.
A+
Well done.

Anytime your on I can share it with you, Its defiantly a blast to play with the color scheme, But I think the one I chose fits best. I tried a bunch, more than a bunch lol

I was thinking that the hood would be the one thing I would personally change the shape of as well. The only problem is that I couldn't figure out a way to do that without changing it too drastically and taking away from it so I didn't mention it. The only thing I can thing of that might help would be to remove the hood, build a basic mannequin head in its place, then rebuild the hood around it to possibly get a better idea for the shape. To me the hood looks a little too boxy when viewing it from in front, but only from the front. It looks really good from the other angles which makes it difficult to modify with out ruining that. I don't think there is much you can do to change it with its current design. You would have to change it entirely. Again. Lol. It would probably have to be a shape more along the lines of what Dryym had going on in order to make it easier to work with. A more standard hood shape. But that might not match the overall style of the avatar.

All in all I'd just call it quits unless you just feel like messing with it again because it's too hard to resist not to. It's more than good enough the way it is now.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »

I was thinking that the hood would be the one thing I would personally change the shape of as well. The only problem is that I couldn't figure out a way to do that without changing it too drastically and taking away from it so I didn't mention it. The only thing I can thing of that might help would be to remove the hood, build a basic mannequin head in its place, then rebuild the hood around it to possibly get a better idea for the shape. To me the hood looks a little too boxy when viewing it from in front, but only from the front. It looks really good from the other angles which makes it difficult to modify with out ruining that. I don't think there is much you can do to change it with its current design. You would have to change it entirely. Again. Lol. It would probably have to be a shape more along the lines of what Dryym had going on in order to make it easier to work with. A more standard hood shape. But that might not match the overall style of the avatar.

All in all I'd just call it quits unless you just feel like messing with it again because it's too hard to resist not to. It's more than good enough the way it is now.

I tried to get a balance for proper viewing at all 360 degrees, the single most important change on this one is that it looks proper from all sides or at least the best I could do while keeping the original shape.

It's not as easy as one might think. The first wraith was like looking at a flat picture, and was absolutely horrid from the sides. Even the one currently in the game does not have all these improvements.

He's a much better 3D model now.

We just need to hope that Craig can fix the halo for us, It was a blunder on my part.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:16:04 PM by Steve »

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
I tried to get a balance for proper viewing at all 360 degrees, the single most important change on this one is that it looks proper from all sides or at least the best I could do while keeping the original shape.

It's not as easy as one might think. The first wraith was like looking at a flat picture, and was absolutely horrid from the sides. Even the one currently in the game does not have all these improvements.

We just need to hope that Craig can fix the halo for us, It was a blunder on my part.
I know all too well that it isn't as easy as one would think. That is why I recommend calling it quits. The current model is easily fine without any changes. What was the design blunder for the Halo?

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »

I know all too well that it isn't as easy as one would think. That is why I recommend calling it quits. The current model is easily fine without any changes. What was the design blunder for the Halo?

He said he added a pattern which drew the eyes to the wrong place.

Also, YS. This is the third time I have built the wraith from scratch.

This is my mini which Derfen is actually quite fond of. I made a crouch model for this one which is even smaller. XD
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:36:43 PM by Dryym »

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »

It could be called a preference instead of a blunder, but essentially I felt the design drew away from the overall look. Obviously the red is just an indication and its all titanium texture.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »
This is my mini which Derfen is actually quite fond of. I made a crouch model for this one which is even smaller. XD

That crouch model though.. Not sure how it fit lel

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
Ah I see, I agree with that change. I liked the way the Halo looked in the pics you previously posted.

Dryym I actually really like that haha. The stand makes it feel like a piece for a game board.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »

That crouch model though.. Not sure how it fit lel

I know, Right?

Dryym I actually really like that haha. The stand makes it feel like a piece for a game board.

The stand is actually just part of my avatar world. I have them all on floating platforms supported by beams of light.

I still need to update bits of it because Derfen couldn't make up his mind about the wraith when I was building it.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2016, 03:40:43 AM »
In case anyone was wondering what the original model looked like, It was never actually in retail, only a dev build.

Yes this is before even the blue one.

Spoiler for Hidden Content:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:42:56 AM by Steve »