Author Topic: [PC] Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion  (Read 47214 times)

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners 3 years on site+600 posts I AM THE LAW! 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[PC] Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:35:12 AM »
This topic will be used for discussing the progress of the port to PC as well as for asking questions on the subject.

Link to Dev Diaries PC edition progress- http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=7032.0

My first question is on the subject of modding the game once ported to PC. Will it be allowed and if so will support such as teaching guides be provided?

Update:
Now on Greenlight on Steam, go vote for it chaps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:39:00 AM by Tom »

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

Geneo

• Elite Member
  • The Stig knows………... but he ain't telling.
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:15:51 AM »
Personally, I'm not interested in 'mods' of any kind.... at all.  A vast majority of mods are nothing but cheats and the rest are from some individual who thinks that they know better than the developers how to make the game 'better'.

My question is if it's being ported to the "PC" and sold through (choke) Steam, will there be a Mac version? 
(Never mind, I can guess what the answer is to that one.  Oh well.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:19:05 AM by Geneo »

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners 3 years on site+600 posts I AM THE LAW! 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Personally, I'm not interested in 'mods' of any kind.... at all.  A vast majority of mods are nothing but cheats and the rest are from some individual who thinks that they know better than the developers how to make the game 'better'.

My question is if it's being ported to the "PC" and sold through (choke) Steam, will there be a Mac version? 
(Never mind, I can guess what the answer is to that one.  Oh well.)

Personally I see modding as something that could inspire players to learn coding to a degree so that they can personalise there own game. However I believe to allow modding should be the decision of the game developer alone.

As to the Mac version would depend on if any licences would be required to make the game for Mac and whether Craig chooses to pursue that path.

(Don't quote me in anything as I have little knowledge about coding or games development)

(smacks you)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
A successful modding API is something that needs to be integrated into the development of the game from the start. Case study fail: Minecraft.

As TM was originally designed for the Xbox, where mods are not an option, modding has not been considered during development, and therefor would probably end up being as big a fail as Minecrafts attempts on the PC.

Also I don't yet know how modding might work within the Steam ecosystem.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:21 AM »
Since there are obvious seperations between what TMF on PC and TMF on xbox360 are capable of,will there be any platform exclusive content between the two versions of the game?

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
Since there are obvious seperations between what TMF on PC and TMF on xbox360 are capable of,will there be any platform exclusive content between the two versions of the game?
I imagine there will be less limitations imposed by the capability of the Xbox hardware. So there may be exclusive content.

(smacks you)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
The answer to this is complex with many factors. Ideally we want to get the game onto the Xbox One which would be able to keep up with PC features.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
The answer to this is complex with many factors. Ideally we want to get the game onto the Xbox One which would be able to keep up with PC features.

Thats what I was thinking, but the PC version of the game may very well go deep into development before greenlight is given for the XboxOne port of TMF.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
I only have one question for this. Once the game is out on PC, is there a possibility of porting worlds between PC and Xbox?

The White Wabbit

• Legendary Member
  • Are you a solo builder too?
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Nobodies56
  • PSN: A_Blessed_Potato
  • Steam: Ray
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
I only have one question for this. Once the game is out on PC, is there a possibility of porting worlds between PC and Xbox?

That is one thing I do hope occurs I hope we are able to transfer our save files over to PC or else my mega project would all be it... Forgotten. :(

Other than that I cannot wait to see what occurs with a new shiny PC version ;)

Thanks GK for the new sig it looks great!

You may be able to teach a chimp to dance, but will he dance for your tune?

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT GoatOnTheMoon
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »
I am assuming that we would have to purchase the game again on PC then? As long as its still like $3 I think, It would be great

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »

Chances are someone within this community has the technical skill to do such a thing. We can only hope and wait for a tutorial by them.
Though I think it would work going from xbox --> PC, not PC --> xbox if the PC is capable of making better worlds, more items and blocks, etc.

I for one would like to be able to port my old worlds around, whether it be possible via an in-game port (not quite sure that is possible, but that's for a developer to tell), or via more "shadey" options.
You make me smile!

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT GoatOnTheMoon
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »
1.) Will special seeds make a comeback in the PC version?

If so, will there be new ones such as a survival island?

2.) Will there be an exclusive bonus to PC version?

Such as a block, seed, avatar?

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
1.) Will special seeds make a comeback in the PC version?

If so, will there be new ones such as a survival island?

2.) Will there be an exclusive bonus to PC version?

Such as a block, seed, avatar?
Special seeds will return on xbox at some point, Nothing about special seeds are because of xbox limits.

And at some point yes, also PC can be updated without the need of peer review, so bug fixed would be alot quicker

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT GoatOnTheMoon
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
And at some point yes, also PC can be updated without the need of peer review, so bug fixed would be alot quicker

I don't know if this would help, but maybe let the bug fixes go first on the PC and if they're fine then send it in for peer review on the xbox so you don't have to worry about failing peer review and the 2 week wait time.

But that would kind of show that the PC side is more important then xbox so I don't know, just thinking out loud.,