Author Topic:  Links (PC)  (Read 96 times)

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: TotalMiner
Links (PC)
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
Can't find anyone who has made an idea about this so i'm gonna suggest it myself.

When PC is released will there be a way to add links on signs and in avatar text, for example i wanted to create a drawing of my map and upload it to imgur so when people clicked a certain avatar/sign it would prompt a "are you sure you want to leave this site" kind of like it does on discord and take you to the photo of my map.

Now i see why this may not be added as people would use this for things such as virus's and ear rape Hitler memes. Maybe if there was a way to only add certain links, although i know this would take a lot of work to get rid of all them bad links but I've seen it be done in Minecraft so there must be some sort of way.

- CDJ
                          Owner Of Our Atmosphere Series!

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
Re: Links (PC)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
I'd be happy to see a way to add links to signs and chat etc... But adding censors or blocking certain links should be the world hosts responsibility. What might be offensive or annoying to some may not be to others.

It seems simple enough to add something that turns any text starting with www or http:// into a clickable link so maybe someone will add it as a mod.

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
I'd be happy to see a way to add links to signs and chat etc... But adding censors or blocking certain links should be the world hosts responsibility. What might be offensive or annoying to some may not be to others.

It seems simple enough to add something that turns any text starting with www or http:// into a clickable link so maybe someone will add it as a mod.

Yes but what if people put spoofy links in the signs?

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
Then that's where the warning you mentioned comes into place. It'd work like:

Clickable link shows >Click Here<

When clicked a popup appears showing the actual destination (i.e http://google.com) with a standard generic warning that you're about to open the webpage to said link.

I'm 100% against TM restricting what hosts can and cannot do with their worlds. And I think you'll find most hosts/creators are too. I'm also sure Craig and the other devs don't want to be babysitting every host.

cY Agent 115

• Death to trolls on the forums
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: cY Agent 115
  • Steam: cY Agent 115
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
Can't find anyone who has made an idea about this so i'm gonna suggest it myself.

When PC is released will there be a way to add links on signs and in avatar text, for example i wanted to create a drawing of my map and upload it to imgur so when people clicked a certain avatar/sign it would prompt a "are you sure you want to leave this site" kind of like it does on discord and take you to the photo of my map.

Now i see why this may not be added as people would use this for things such as virus's and ear rape Hitler memes. Maybe if there was a way to only add certain links, although i know this would take a lot of work to get rid of all them bad links but I've seen it be done in Minecraft so there must be some sort of way.

- CDJ
would a link be embedded in a script? if so then you could a lot more with signs and not just links to websites. you could do transaction scripts, history scripts, every time someone looks at the sign and so much more.

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »

- CDJ
would a link be embedded in a script? if so then you could a lot more with signs and not just links to websites. you could do transaction scripts, history scripts, every time someone looks at the sign and so much more.

This would be a good idea aswell, this would be usefull.

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
Then that's where the warning you mentioned comes into place. It'd work like:

Clickable link shows >Click Here<

When clicked a popup appears showing the actual destination (i.e http://google.com) with a standard generic warning that you're about to open the webpage to said link.

I'm 100% against TM restricting what hosts can and cannot do with their worlds. And I think you'll find most hosts/creators are too. I'm also sure Craig and the other devs don't want to be babysitting every host.

I see what your saying and i'm against it myself. Just i know there will be trolls out there linking virus's and stuff.

cY Agent 115

• Death to trolls on the forums
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: cY Agent 115
  • Steam: cY Agent 115
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
Though i hope some 12 year old doesn't take and put a notify script that says when you look at you at it from any distance spam RATE 5! RATE 5! RATE 5!

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
Though i hope some 12 year old doesn't take and put a notify script that says when you look at you at it from any distance spam RATE 5! RATE 5! RATE 5!

I really hope this does not happen either, that would be the bane of my existence.