Author Topic:  Some changes to awards  (Read 2353 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Some changes to awards
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »
So the star award and the artist award are both criminally underused, so I've come up with some ideas to get a few more of them out in the wild.

Starting with the artist award, since a youtube award has been asked for by a bunch of people, but I'm not going to add that, since I don't want to make spending X amount of money on a capture card a requirement for getting an award, I'll toss videos in with the artist award.

In general what I'm thinking here is once a month we'll hold a vote on videos made by community members. The winner of this will get the award, as well as having their video featured on totalminer.org and I'll post it on the TM facebook also.
Obviously you'd only be able to get the award one time, but the winner would still get parts 2 & 3 should there be a repeat winner.

And another way I'm thinking about getting the award out, is when TM is coming up towards major releases, ie: 2.5, Steam, etc. We'll have a logo design competition with logos themed towards that particular event. For example, we're looking towards the Steam release, so the assignment would be to make a PC themed logo.

For the star award what I'm thinking is it becomes a replacement for MotM. 5 guides is too difficult to get as there's only so many possible guides that can be made. Obviously not held in exactly the same way as MotM, cause to be completely honest the old way of having to pick a new winner every month sucks and messed with the results as things from the beginning of the month tend to slip the mind by the end of the month.

So the new way would be, I give the award whenever I feel like it. Maybe one month there's 2 winners and the next month there is none. Maybe I award 1 every week for a month, and then nobody impresses me for a long time and nobody wins for 3 months straight. tl;dr version. No schedule, awards come when I think somebody has earned it.

Also it would free up everyone who had already won MotM to be a winner of this, as well as allow me to include active testers in the mix of potential winners. They had been excluded from winning MotM because I didn't feel like hearing the inevitable moaning and complaining about how they only won because they were a tester. So a new rule for this will be if I see whining about who won the award, that person becomes excluded from winning the award for the rest of eternity. Simple and easy, just the way I like it.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
Re: Some changes to awards
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
Good idea bob, And i agree, the artist award should not require a capture card, i understand that people want quality, but not everyone going to want to spend over 100$ on a video for a 2$ indie game
(Wierd Coming from someone who has spend over 250... but you get the point.)

and i like the voting, but to me when ever voting is around this community it seems to be a popularity contest. so not sure on how fair the videos will be voted.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
and i like the voting, but to me when ever voting is around this community it seems to be a popularity contest. so not sure on how fair the videos will be voted.

I've thought of that, I'm just keeping the specifics under my hat for the moment

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »
I've thought of that, I'm just keeping the specifics under my hat for the moment
Good to hear. im looking forward to what the devilish bob has planed.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »
So the star award and the artist award are both criminally underused, so I've come up with some ideas to get a few more of them out in the wild.

Starting with the artist award, since a youtube award has been asked for by a bunch of people, but I'm not going to add that, since I don't want to make spending X amount of money on a capture card a requirement for getting an award, I'll toss videos in with the artist award.

In general what I'm thinking here is once a month we'll hold a vote on videos made by community members. The winner of this will get the award, as well as having their video featured on totalminer.org and I'll post it on the TM facebook also.
Obviously you'd only be able to get the award one time, but the winner would still get parts 2 & 3 should there be a repeat winner.

And another way I'm thinking about getting the award out, is when TM is coming up towards major releases, ie: 2.5, Steam, etc. We'll have a logo design competition with logos themed towards that particular event. For example, we're looking towards the Steam release, so the assignment would be to make a PC themed logo.

For the star award what I'm thinking is it becomes a replacement for MotM. 5 guides is too difficult to get as there's only so many possible guides that can be made. Obviously not held in exactly the same way as MotM, cause to be completely honest the old way of having to pick a new winner every month sucks and messed with the results as things from the beginning of the month tend to slip the mind by the end of the month.

So the new way would be, I give the award whenever I feel like it. Maybe one month there's 2 winners and the next month there is none. Maybe I award 1 every week for a month, and then nobody impresses me for a long time and nobody wins for 3 months straight. tl;dr version. No schedule, awards come when I think somebody has earned it.

Also it would free up everyone who had already won MotM to be a winner of this, as well as allow me to include active testers in the mix of potential winners. They had been excluded from winning MotM because I didn't feel like hearing the inevitable moaning and complaining about how they only won because they were a tester. So a new rule for this will be if I see whining about who won the award, that person becomes excluded from winning the award for the rest of eternity. Simple and easy, just the way I like it.

Works for me. I think muD is like the ONLY member with the Star Post award too. And only a couple folks have the Artist award. So re-altering this is definitely good news.

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Circle cat113
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
How do you get the star and artists award?

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: Mythical Monkey
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »
I love the ideas bob.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: Mythical Monkey /mm

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »
...5 guides is too difficult to get as there's only so many possible guides that can be made...
Like a profile guide, eh? ::)

I'm glad to see that the artist and star awards will finally become more readily accessible, as it was getting pretty lonely. ;)

On a side note, I've noticed that there seems to be at least one pinned topic in almost every section, with very few from members that aren't bob or Craig, except for my favorite one... Graphics, which has none and could've helped out with the whole star award. ::)

Jared

• Supreme Member
  • Maze/Trivia Builder & Previous Total Miner Tester
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jeff McNewmen
  • PSN: Jeff_McNewmen
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »
Guess I'll start being productive and possibly start making some Total Miner videos.

《Thank You GK & Mysterio For These Astonishing Signitures!》

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »

wb some kind of award thats given to the people that go alot of photo taking for the community or people's worlds

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »
wb some kind of award thats given to the people that go alot of photo taking for the community or people's worlds
That award would also cost money and they do not want that.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »
Great ideas Bob...

...now for you to determine a perfect unlock method for the demigods ;)

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »
Great ideas Bob...

what if it was given out like the star award

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
Great ideas Bob...

That's easy. A baking competition. Whoever makes the tastiest treat wins.

I of course am the only judge.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
what if it was given out like the star award
It would have to then be coded in the game. and that would be difficult to keep track of.