Author Topic:  No Man's Sky  (Read 9750 times)

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »
Gotcha. From what I kept watching it seemed kind of dis-ambiguous as far as what is going on. I know you're searching around for planets, finding new creatures, languages, materials, etc. Just wasn't sure outside of the simple exploration aspect. In one dev video, they made it seem like you could go to trade ports and sell things you took from planets. As well as naming things you find, stuff like that. Wasn't sure what kind of story would be involved though. I just knew it looked really cool.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
Yes you can collect resources from planets, and trade them, either at outposts on the planets or in space stations. You can name and upload anything you find, planets, fauna and flora to the NMS servers. There appears to be a large array of craftable items, upgrades, etc. The space stations always have a distinctly low quantity of items though, so often you can't just buy the stuff you need to star jump, you have to go to a planet and excavate. You learn individual words of an alien language as you go.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2016, 07:37:54 PM »
Yes you can collect resources from planets, and trade them, either at outposts on the planets or in space stations. You can name and upload anything you find, planets, fauna and flora to the NMS servers. There appears to be a large array of craftable items, upgrades, etc. The space stations always have a distinctly low quantity of items though, so often you can't just buy the stuff you need to star jump, you have to go to a planet and excavate. You learn individual words of an alien language as you go.
Oh, I like that aspect. Can you upgrade your ship with these items and craft-able materials? I may have to get this so I can find out more myself.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
Can you upgrade your ship with these items and craft-able materials? I may have to get this so I can find out more myself.
I don't know if you can upgrade the ship itself, but you can certainly upgrade the equipment that is installed in the ship, and upgrade the equipment on your exosuite, and upgrade your multi-tool which is like your pickaxe/gun etc.

You can buy ships from NPCs in space stations. You can trade and interact with NPCs both on planets and in space stations, but so far, for me the interaction seems limited, and a little cumbersome.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:50:03 PM by Craig »

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
I don't know if you can upgrade the ship itself, but you can certainly upgrade the equipment that is installed in the ship, and upgrade the equipment on your exosuite, and upgrade your multi-tool which is like your pickaxe/gun etc.
Sounds good to me. So far, does the customization (if any) have any depth? Or is it just basic upgrades? That's right, I remember hearing about the suit. You sometimes have to adapt it to the atmosphere/habitat of that planet. For example, I saw an instance where they had to use a suit that heats the player. Basically due to the cold environment of that planet.
You can buy ships from NPCs in space stations. You can trade and interact with NPCs both on planets and in space stations, but so far, for me the interaction seems limited, and a little cumbersome.
Well that's cool, so I take it that may be the upgraded ship portion. And the other part you mentioned, about the interior of the ship being upgraded, is under the hood customization. Well, maybe they'll update it in the near future and fix some of those little set backs.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:27 PM »
So far I haven't had to upgrade the exosuite to handle specific environments, it's automatically handled extreme heat, cold, protection against radiation and oxygen supply.

Yes, to upgrade the ship itself, you just buy a better one. They are hell expensive though. You don't actually upgrade the interior or customize the ship, you just craft better support equipment and install it.

In terms of the depth of upgrades, I can't say for sure, haven't played enough, but for my current progress, there is already a wide array of options.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:44 PM »
I may be getting this now. After what Craig told me, did more research as well. Saw a video of the gameplay as it is now. As well as seeing a nice dog fight aerial combat sequence...pretty much excited as hell. If this is all what's to expect then... I may need this game now.

Stoneart

• "There's always time to get your block's off"
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Discord link to my game (Coven)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: stoneart
  • PSN: Xx_Phoenix_Down_xX
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2016, 12:15:39 AM »
It's best to kill robots for titanium. They drop other items that sell for around 20,000 in the planet shops. Then take titanium to the space stations to sell for a huge price increase. Not sure if it's the same for everyone but it works for me.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2016, 12:26:58 AM »
It's best to kill robots for titanium. They drop other items that sell for around 20,000 in the planet shops. Then take titanium to the space stations to sell for a huge price increase. Not sure if it's the same for everyone but it works for me.
Oh nice. How's the combat aspect/Aerial Combat? You mentioned killing robots for Titanium.

Stoneart

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2016, 12:51:37 AM »
I didn't read this whole chat. Sorry if I reiterate some things from previous posts. Yeah, the combat with robots works like grand theft auto as far as the wanted star system. You start off with little drones that monitor you and your mining. If you kill things or try to mine too much they follow you and alert the others. In a way it's kinda like borderlands 2 where you have to let the enemy's build up in order to get the good stuff. When you piss off the robots they start sending tougher ones. I have yet to kill the big guy that looks like an atat. I don't know what's after that yet. This is all ground level. Space is a little different. In space it's "police type" ships that try to come shoot you down if you are messing about. The starship cargo ships that are floating around also shoot if you go near them. You can be a space pirate and force the npc's near the planets surface to crash if you like.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2016, 12:53:55 AM »
I didn't read this whole chat. Sorry if I reiterate some things from previous posts. Yeah, the combat with robots works like grand theft auto as far as the wanted star system. You start off with little drones that monitor you and your mining. If you kill things or try to mine too much they follow you and alert the others. In a way it's kinda like borderlands 2 where you have to let the enemy's build up in order to get the good stuff. When you piss off the robots they start sending tougher ones. I have yet to kill the big guy that looks like an atat. I don't know what's after that yet. This is all ground level. Space is a little different. In space it's "police type" ships that try to come shoot you down if you are messing about. The starship cargo ships that are floating around also shoot if you go near them. You can be a space pirate and force the npc's near the planets surface to crash if you like.
This. This is awesome as hell! So basically combat sounds pretty good, and like I said..that video of aerial combat was awesome! If it's all like that, I think I am truly sold on this game. It sounds like so much fun!

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
Harsh. Doing something that no one has ever done before is always much harder because there are no existing solutions.

The crashes have no context unless you know the numbers of crashes per number of game time hours. i.e. We saw 30 or so crashes in the video, but if there are a million people playing the game for 20 hours, then 30 crashes from 20 million hours of gameplay is irrelevant right? Unfair reporting unless there are real stats. For a game of this ambition and scope, and a relatively small development team, bugs and crashes are inevitable. If that is unacceptable, then games of this ambition would never get made.

With respect to the multiplayer aspect, or lack of it, it was made very clear, from well before release, that it is not a multiplayer game, so I'm not sure what the problem is there.

As for the other criticisms about what to do in the game etc, I feel like those people just don't get what Hello Games have tried to make, or they've been sucked into the hype train, which is no ones fault but their own.

The game is not perfect, it has defects, it's clunky in many ways, it crashes occasionally (hasn't crashed for me yet). But that aside, for what the game is, and for what Hello Games have tried to do, I think they've made something truly outstanding. There are some profound gaming moments for those who get what this game is.

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »
I have not had a SINGLE issue with the game. It's truly amazing. So much exploration, lore, flora and fauna, abandoned stations, Alien life forms to trade and converse with. It's way too much fun.

Stoneart

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
I've had a few crashes but nothing big. Always had an autosave a few minutes prior. Seems to only crash when loading a new planet or star system. It's only happened twice to me. Otherwise yes the only downfall described by people seems to be they want the game to be something it never was designed to be. Who knows if they will add some awesome new features in the future. Im hoping so.