Author Topic:  Sprinting  (Read 2458 times)

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Sprinting
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
First off, Let me state that I know sprinting is one of the most requested ideas by far, And it always gets shot down because we already move faster than MC sprinting.

I am not suggesting sprinting to increase our speed even further past that, That would be ridiculous. Instead I am suggesting that we reduce the default speed of the player and all mobs and make the current default speed be sprinting speed.

The reason for this is simple. Without a difference in speed, Chases in combat will get nowhere. If sprinting is added, Then this will allow defenders a chance to make a speedy getaway, And it will allow attackers a chance to close the gap. Assuming that sprinting has a limited timer, Chases will become more enjoyable because you will have to time your sprinting to either get away, Or close the gap.

Another side effect of this is that it gives you a limited chance to run away from mobs that are normally way faster than you. Eg. Werewolves and Trolls.

Combat in TM has potential with its unique weapons and armours, But the movement system totally kills that potential by making combat a jumping contest. This would be the first in many steps to fix that and make combat more interesting.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

November Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
Re: Sprinting
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:44 AM »
So if this were to happen, would this potentially add a stamina bar with it? Or is that just over-complicating things?

Sprinting is a good idea though!

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
So if this were to happen, would this potentially add a stamina bar with it? Or is that just over-complicating things?

Sprinting is a good idea though!

What would be the point of a stamina bar if it only affects how long you can sprint for? I'm not against the idea, I just feel like it needs more meat to it.

Cooldude8

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Sharpbraineagl1
  • Steam: wesley51471
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
Good idea! +1 from me. I should also add that there should be three new pieces of jewelry. The first one being the Ring of Endurance. What this does is increase your stamina by 20 points (assuming that the stamina drain rate is 1 point/sec) allowing 10 extra seconds of sprinting time. The durability of this ring drains as you sprint while it is equipped. The next ring will be the Ring of Recuperation. This will buff your stamina regen to 1 points/sec (assuming that the normal stamina regen will be 1 point/5 sec). The durability of this ring drains as you regenerate stamina points. The final one being the Ring of Hyper-Stamina. It combines the effects of the previous two rings, plus a +10% speed boost while sprinting. It will be the first multi-gemstone ring. The center stone will be solid obsidian. It will require two sapphires and 3 Obsidian gem stones. I hope I made a good contribution to this idea

Kinetic plasma

• TOO MANY DEATHMINES... AGHHHHHHH!
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:49:28 AM »
You've forgotten the total miner parkour fans. Many TM parkourist would be very disappointed with this new game mechanic. Total miner parkour is very unique and fun. We have the double jump and no momentum. Those two things are amazingly fun. People think this game is a minecraft clone and I feel like if sprinting was added all we're doing is proving those people's points right a little bit more if sprinting was added. For the sake of total miner parkour fans let's not add sprinting. 80% of the reason why I play this game is for the challenges and parkour.
Started Total Miner 8/25/11
Top score in Total Rush Robotic contest 9/8/16
4th person to unlock the Demigod 11/27/16
Expert Builder
Beginner Scripter
Challenge map builder

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »
You've forgotten the total miner parkour fans. Many TM parkourist would be very disappointed with this new game mechanic. Total miner parkour is very unique and fun. We have the double jump and no momentum. Those two things are amazingly fun. People think this game is a minecraft clone and I feel like if sprinting was added all we're doing is proving those people's points right a little bit more if sprinting was added. For the sake of total miner parkour fans let's not add sprinting. 80% of the reason why I play this game is for the challenges and parkour.

Does this idea propose the idea of removing double jumping or adding momentum?
No it does not. If we assume the worst case scenario for parlour, The most this would affect is the speed at which you can do it because of a timer on how long you can sprint for.

Yes, I would like the option to disable double jump and add momentum for maps which are not designed around parkour, But this idea is in no way suggesting anything that would ruin parkour. At worst, It would be slightly slower on jumps that require full speed to accomplish due to you needing to wait for your sprint timer to refill, But if you put that on the flip side, It adds another layer of skill to parkour by requiring you to keep track of when you need to sprint for speed runs and when you need to save your sprint for another upcoming jump.

Also, It has been very well established that just because MC has something, It doesn't mean TM cannot. If Craig likes the idea enough, Craig will add the idea.
If you once again look at it from the other side of the argument, An MC player may try to play the game and be annoyed by the lack of sprinting. Especially since just about every modern first person game has that ability.

Kinetic plasma

• TOO MANY DEATHMINES... AGHHHHHHH!
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »

Does this idea propose the idea of removing double jumping or adding momentum?
No it does not. If we assume the worst case scenario for parlour, The most this would affect is the speed at which you can do it because of a timer on how long you can sprint for.

Yes, I would like the option to disable double jump and add momentum for maps which are not designed around parkour, But this idea is in no way suggesting anything that would ruin parkour. At worst, It would be slightly slower on jumps that require full speed to accomplish due to you needing to wait for your sprint timer to refill, But if you put that on the flip side, It adds another layer of skill to parkour by requiring you to keep track of when you need to sprint for speed runs and when you need to save your sprint for another upcoming jump.

Also, It has been very well established that just because MC has something, It doesn't mean TM cannot. If Craig likes the idea enough, Craig will add the idea.
If you once again look at it from the other side of the argument, An MC player may try to play the game and be annoyed by the lack of sprinting. Especially since just about every modern first person game has that ability.
Let me remind you that for parkour you need to get to the edge of the block close as possible and then make your jump due to the fact there is no sprinting or momentum. You are wrong if you think parkour would not be ruined. If sprinting was added, players would have to get a running start on there jump which they simply don't need. And for your suggestion of worse case scenario about waiting for your stamina bar to refill is just gonna be super annoying. It's annoying enough that us parkour players have to wait for our health to regenerate after taking fall damage if the health is on, why would parkourist want another annoying issue for us to wait for our stamina to regenerate every time. That's even worse than waiting for health to regenerate since stamina would require almost every jump and health only includes some. Now about about what you were saying about speedrunners. We have speed zones and tenleague boots. Adding a sprint option would only be most annoying to speedrunners for waiting for there stamina bar to refill. Sure maybe your thinking yeah that would be cool because they would have to use there stamina wisely for speedruns as a strategy, but c'mon let's get real, speedrunners aren't gonna want to wait or use stamina wisely. And minecraft players would not be annoyed because we can't sprint. Like you said in the original post, the total miner walking walking is just as fast as the minecraft sprinting so there would be no complaining from them most likely. Now if whay you said is true about a lot of people wanting sprinting, then maybe its possible for Craig to add an option for the world called motion. One motion option would be your sprinting idea and one motion option being the original motion. If that makes any sense to you. This is exactly what happened with momentum and no momentum. People wanted momentum but some people didn't so Craig made it an option if you wanted to enable your momentum or disable your momentum in the player options. Maybe he could do the same for this sprinting idea to enable sprinting motion or enable original motion.
Started Total Miner 8/25/11
Top score in Total Rush Robotic contest 9/8/16
4th person to unlock the Demigod 11/27/16
Expert Builder
Beginner Scripter
Challenge map builder

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 08:02:19 PM »
If sprinting was added, players would have to get a running start on there jump which they simply don't need.
If momentum was not introduced, they simply would need to be running (either holding the key or have it enabled), it would not effect them drastically.
-Alionz

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
Let me remind you that for parkour you need to get to the edge of the block close as possible and then make your jump due to the fact there is no sprinting or momentum. You are wrong if you think parkour would not be ruined. If sprinting was added, players would have to get a running start on there jump which they simply don't need. And for your suggestion of worse case scenario about waiting for your stamina bar to refill is just gonna be super annoying. It's annoying enough that us parkour players have to wait for our health to regenerate after taking fall damage if the health is on, why would parkourist want another annoying issue for us to wait for our stamina to regenerate every time. That's even worse than waiting for health to regenerate since stamina would require almost every jump and health only includes some. Now about about what you were saying about speedrunners. We have speed zones and tenleague boots. Adding a sprint option would only be most annoying to speedrunners for waiting for there stamina bar to refill. Sure maybe your thinking yeah that would be cool because they would have to use there stamina wisely for speedruns as a strategy, but c'mon let's get real, speedrunners aren't gonna want to wait or use stamina wisely. And minecraft players would not be annoyed because we can't sprint. Like you said in the original post, the total miner walking walking is just as fast as the minecraft sprinting so there would be no complaining from them most likely. Now if whay you said is true about a lot of people wanting sprinting, then maybe its possible for Craig to add an option for the world called motion. One motion option would be your sprinting idea and one motion option being the original motion. If that makes any sense to you. This is exactly what happened with momentum and no momentum. People wanted momentum but some people didn't so Craig made it an option if you wanted to enable your momentum or disable your momentum in the player options. Maybe he could do the same for this sprinting idea to enable sprinting motion or enable original motion.

I am all for having it be optional. In general, I prefer making my own mechanics, But this one really cannot be recreated in a professional way with the tools we have.

One thing to keep in mind, You used the example of having to wait until your health regenerates as an analogy for the annoyance of having to wait for your sprint to recharge. In my eyes, A map that is made like that is badly designed. They could easily quicken that process up if they tried. So what does a player normally do if they are getting frustrated by a badly designed game? Generally, They stop playing it and play a well designed game.

A well designed game in this example being a parkour map that heals you when you are forced to lose a large portion of health, Or perhaps gives you a way of healing yourself (Kinda like LB did with creditland.)

One other thing you are assuming is that parkour maps using the sprint mechanic would be exactly the same as the parkour maps are now. That's extremely unlikely for a couple of reasons. 1: There are much more talented people on PC that would be making maps who would be less likely to make badly designed maps. 2: Why would you not design a map around the mechanics you have access to? That's like designing a TM parkour map without utilizing double jump.

To your point of TM walking being faster than MC sprinting, All I have to say about that is that it doesn't feel fast until you slow yourself down. An example of this is the sheer amount of people who suggested sprinting in the past because they felt like they were moving too slowly.

As Alien said, You could do parlour exactly like that with sprinting. You just gotta hold down shift when you are lined up since there is be no momentum.

Lastly, Did I not get an update that added momentum? The only thing I have ever noticed that vaguely resembles momentum is the drift when I am flying, But if I let off the controls, That stops immediately, So it isn't really momentum.

KeefdaQueef

• I am a teen and legally depressed
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Keefer511
  • Steam: Keit511
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
Yeah I do like the idea and I do agree that it should be an option.
Keep Calm n' Keep Er' Goin!

Holden

• MAGA
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • The Don
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Holden
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »
It's fine as long as it is able to be toggled and that there is an option to refill stamina with scripts just like a health script.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:07:09 PM by Holden »

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
Kinda off topic, but while we are talking about parkour, if Craig sees this or someone knows, is there gonna be a Jump Interval toggle option on PC?

mm2woodman

• Elite Member
  • yo, woodman here
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: woodman321
  • PSN: woodman321
  • Steam: woodman321
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:56 PM »
First off, Let me state that I know sprinting is one of the most requested ideas by far, And it always gets shot down because we already move faster than MC sprinting.

This game isn't Minecraft and you shouldn't compare it to Minecraft, this is ridiculous.  TM is TM, we shouldn't care if Minecraft characters move slower when walking.
ROTM of December 24th, 1988.mid
nice

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:50 PM »

This game isn't Minecraft and you shouldn't compare it to Minecraft, this is ridiculous.  TM is TM, we shouldn't care if Minecraft characters move slower when walking.

I was simply stating that the reason the idea normally gets shot down is because we already move fast enough, Faster than MC sprinting.

mm2woodman

• Elite Member
  • yo, woodman here
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: woodman321
  • PSN: woodman321
  • Steam: woodman321
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »

I was simply stating that the reason the idea normally gets shot down is because we already move fast enough, Faster than MC sprinting.
Fair enough.
ROTM of December 24th, 1988.mid
nice