Author Topic:  2.0 General Discussion  (Read 24397 times)

James

2.0 General Discussion
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
Well, here it is! 2.0 discussion everyone!  :D

James

Re: 2.0 General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »
What are everyone's thoughts about powered circuits going in Total Miner? Excited or what?! :D I sure am excited! wooh!

Geneo

• Elite Member
  • The Stig knows………... but he ain't telling.
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
Moving sections.
Liquid physics.
Bone animation.

All those things might not make it to 2.0, but (hopefully) they will eventually.  To me, those are more important than power circuits.

James

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
One thing I think of when I hear about the wireless electricity is Nikoli Tesla's idea of using massive tesla coils to emit electricity throughout the air, thereby supplying wireless electricity to all of USA. But that was during the time in which electronics were being invented like the lightbulb and that the citizens of the United States were scared of his inventions and he was forced to discontinue his building projects... (actually I think he had to stop due to the idiot Thomas Edison cutting Nikoli's payments) Truly a sad thing for America to miss out on that oppertunity. But, we won't be missing out on that thanks to Craig bringing the power of wireless electricity to the Total Miner world!! Haha :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:12:57 AM by James »

James

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:15:49 AM »
One thing I think of when I hear about the wireless electricity is Nikoli Tesla's idea of using massive tesla coils to emit electricity throughout the air, thereby supplying wireless electricity to all of USA. But that was during the time in which electronics were being invented like the lightbulb and that the citizens of the United States were scared of his inventions and he was forced to discontinue his building projects... (actually I think he had to stop due to the idiot Thomas Edison cutting Nikoli's payments) Truly a sad thing for America to miss out on that oppertunity. But, we won't be missing out on that thanks to Craig bringing the power of wireless electricity to the Total Miner world!! Haha :D
I think Craig should add to the description of the wireless transmitter block is "Nikoli Tesla would be proud!"

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »
TM is using wireless to transmit signals, not the power itself. The power comes from certain blocks, which are controlled via the wireless signals.

James

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
TM is using wireless to transmit signals, not the power itself. The power comes from certain blocks, which are controlled via the wireless signals.
So basically when you click "on" on the transmitter, it is then pretty much just telling the electronic to activate itself? Or is it telling the receiver to deliver power to the electronic?

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
  • Awards Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:58:42 AM »

Bone animation.

Hey Geneo I think this topic will be a good read if you havn't seen it yet. http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=1363.0

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »
So basically when you click "on" on the transmitter, it is then pretty much just telling the electronic to activate itself? Or is it telling the receiver to deliver power to the electronic?
We're still working it out, but my understanding so far is the player won't interact with the transmitter directly, the player will interact with power delivery blocks, such as plates, switches, levers, etc, which will deliver power to any neighbouring blocks, like doors, c4, or transmitter(s). If a transmitter receives (or loses) power, it will send a signal (power on or off), which will be received by receivers within range and of the same frequency as the transmitter. Receivers are power delivery blocks (this may change), like plates etc, so when they receive a signal they will either deliver or stop delivering power (depending on the signal) to neighbouring blocks. Any power blocks neighbouring the receiver, like doors etc will react to the power supply change. Note, the transmitters and receivers are only necessary to send signals over distances, they can be completely omitted from local circuits like plates/switches next to a door. It might sound a little complex, but it's not really.

e.g.

|P|T|                            |R|D|                             

Player steps on (P)late. Plate delivers power to neighbouring blocks. (T)ransmitter is a neighbouring block so it becomes powered (changes state). Because the Transmitter has changed state, it sends a signal. An On signal, because it's now powered. (R)eceiver receives 'ON' signal which causes it to deliver power to neighbouring blocks. (D)oor is a neighbouring block so it becomes powered and opens.

Player steps off Plate. Plate stops delivering power (after normal delay). Transmitter is no longer powered, which is a state change, so it sends a signal. An 'OFF' signal because its not powered. Receiver receives 'OFF' signal and stops delivering power. Door stops receiving power and closes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:54:23 AM by Craig »

Delta Dragon

• Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Delta Dragon 22
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »
Still waiting on some upside down stairs. Can't tell you how much those would help my builds. At the very least putting in some mob spawners for all the newer mobs. Just like spiders get spider eggs, zombies could have a tombstone block or a coffin block of sorts. Just throwing out some ideas but honestly doesn't matter what the spawner block looks like to me just as long as we can spawn the newer mobs.
First to unlock Golden Knight. Owner of Robotic and Demi God/Goddess.

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
personally i think the current sound when in water sould weird/little lame
it sounds like youre dipping your foot or toes in water.kind of weird to hear when you jump 30 ft into a lake and it sounds like youe testing the temp.....

would it be possible to add more ambient sounds?

Geneo

• Elite Member
  • The Stig knows………... but he ain't telling.
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 05:32:21 AM »
I don't understand upside-down stairs at all.  I can understand where they'd make the interior of a roof not so 'lumpy', but the outside of the roof still looks the same.
What we need is a 'double upside-down stair', where the top and the bottom both look like a stair (from the side it kinda looks like a "Z").  That would improve both the interior and exterior of roofs, etc.

Now about the powered circuit thing.
I really like the idea that you don't need a transmitter/receiver to simply use a 'local' pressure plate to open a door (you only need them to transmit power over distances).  Course we don't know (and Craig probably hasn't even figured out yet) how far 'local' reaches (will it turn on all the lights in an set area or just the one next to the switch?) 

We probably need a separate thread about how this whole "powered circuit" thing will work after Craig works it out, so there's no sense in trying to get into the details yet.

Personally, I'm not a RPG lover/maker so I could care less about transmitters or receivers.  As long as a door opens when my little pixel person steps on a pressure plate I'm fine.  Not into "lights"- torches work just fine.  (But I know the RPGers out there are licking their chops).

DoggishKhan

• Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: DoggishKhan
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
I don't understand upside-down stairs at all.  I can understand where they'd make the interior of a roof not so 'lumpy', but the outside of the roof still looks the same.
What we need is a 'double upside-down stair', where the top and the bottom both look like a stair (from the side it kinda looks like a "Z").  That would improve both the interior and exterior of roofs, etc.

Now about the powered circuit thing.
I really like the idea that you don't need a transmitter/receiver to simply use a 'local' pressure plate to open a door (you only need them to transmit power over distances).  Course we don't know (and Craig probably hasn't even figured out yet) how far 'local' reaches (will it turn on all the lights in an set area or just the one next to the switch?) 

We probably need a separate thread about how this whole "powered circuit" thing will work after Craig works it out, so there's no sense in trying to get into the details yet.

Personally, I'm not a RPG lover/maker so I could care less about transmitters or receivers.  As long as a door opens when my little pixel person steps on a pressure plate I'm fine.  Not into "lights"- torches work just fine.  (But I know the RPGers out there are licking their chops).
if you had upside down stairs and ramps you could just put them on the backside of the normal staits and ramps to make them look better, and it allows the possibility for more detail all around for builders.

Pride

• Legendary Member
  • A new begining
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Denied Pride
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »
A little early for this topic? Ohh, well :)
Can't wait for all the new features, my favorite? Electronics /assassin

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »
i mostly look forward to crafting a cattle-prod and making you my cattle. bit chiz. get in the gate

well, thats if we have gates & cattle prods. yar