Author Topic:  [Tutorial] Creating Videos on PC  (Read 510 times)

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[Tutorial] Creating Videos on PC
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »
With the PC version of the game coming up, I'm sure there will be an influx of people that would like to become content creators for Total Miner, whether it be on youtube, twitch, or some other media platform. Today I came across a great post on reddit that outlined a couple of websites that are extremely useful when it comes to video creation, and I'd like to share them, along with my process and some important points that I'd like to bring up. Feel free to share your own experiences making youtube videos, or ask any questions that you have (whether you're a creator yourself or someone interested in becoming one).

Your Niche

What is a niche? A niche is "a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing". In terms of content creation, your niche is the kind of audience you are hoping to attract, based on a factor or set of factors that make you or your content suitable for that audience.

Everyone has a unique personality, set of experiences, and viewpoint that they are able to share with others. This is the first aspect of what your niche is. If you are naturally funny, your niche might be for those that are looking for entertainment. If you are naturally book smart, your niche might be for those looking to have someone explain the intricacies of complex features or concepts.

In my case, I'd consider myself well-spoken and passionate, so I like to present informative topics that target people who are looking for help, or looking for someone else's opinion. TM Dude is naturally engaging, so he primarily presents on the entertainment side of the scale, with a lot of commentary-based videos. Craig I would consider more of an analytical type, detailing the ins and outs of new features.

Of course, you aren't necessarily bound by whatever niche you determine for yourself. There are plenty of videos that TM Dude has made that are more informative than entertaining, but as you gain viewership, understand that people will come to your channel initially expecting whatever you brand your niche as. You may happily surprise them with an unexpected video, but in general it is best to keep content generally related.

Software

As a PC content creator, you have access to all sorts of software resources, which covers everything you could ever want. The primary ones you'll need are as follows; Recording, Video Editing, Audio, and Thumbnail Editing.

Software that I use, that I would personally recommend to others are as follows;

Recording Software: OBS (Free, download required)
Video Editing Software: Movie Maker (Free, download required)
Audio: Audacity (Free, download required)
Thumbnail Editing: https://pixlr.com/ (Free, no download required) ... OR http://imgur.com/ + ms paint (Free, no download required)

OBS is easily customize-able, with the capacity to record on low or high end PCs. If you have a high end PC and would like to record on higher setting than the default, then follow these instructions (and heed the warnings): https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-classic-how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/
Also, make sure to differentiate between local recordings and twitch streams, depending on what you're doing, and check out the video/audio tab to make sure that you're recording on whichever settings you prefer.

Movie maker is a free program that has simple video trim tools, can include audio separate from the video, and has a small collection of transitions which can be useful. Video in video is not supported, so if that's something you'd like to have, you'll be SOL, but it can do all the basics.

Audacity supports a range of audio editing tools, can be used to easily trim mistakes in the recording process, and is really user-friendly.

https://pixlr.com/ is basically a free version of photoshop (without all the complex tools). I haven't done much with it yet (just discovered it today) but it is extremely powerful when compared to ms paint or other default software.

http://imgur.com/ is leagues below pixlr.com, but when used in conjunction with ms paint can be very useful. It's easy to apply filters, crop pictures, and add text, but you can't combine/blend images (which is why you would use paint).

There are plenty of other software available that others use. If anyone would like to share those, I would be happy to list them here.

Analytics

Your youtube channel is your business. Sometimes businesses make money, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes businesses are well liked, and sometimes they aren't. Throughout the rest of this section I will be drawing comparisons between how a business is run and how a youtube channel is run.

Every business utilizes analytics (aka the analysis of data) to make informed decisions on what their strategy will be to maximize effectiveness. It is relatively easy to make a couple of small changes in the way that you do things so that you can maximize the number of viewers you receive, which, in this case, is the primary goal of your channel.

Two ways in which you can do this is through SEO and timing.

SEO stands for search engine optimization. As Common Craft says in his video, SEO is a way for search engines to find content to best suit what viewers are looking for. The best ways to make sure that this happens is by including relevant titles, descriptions, and linking to your videos on related websites (such as the total miner forums).

Total Miner should always be somewhere in the title and the description of all videos talking about or including gameplay of Total Miner. It'll bring in the intended audience of people that play or are interested in the game. Additionally, you should use phrasing that provokes interest in your video, but not phrasing that's "clickbaity" or intentionally vague. Casey Neistat is a popular youtuber whose titles, for the most part, represents this ideal. A good example of his view on the subject can be found here.

Timing video releases is another way in which you can maximize viewers. It kind of goes without saying, but people usually end up browsing the internet at certain points during the day, because they end up getting home from school, work, etc.. If you post your videos around this time, then you will usually end up topping people's subscription feeds so that they can see your posts above everyone else's.

All times listed below are in EST. These are the best times to post, typically, according to Youtube Channel conglomerate Frederator Networks.

Mon/Tues/Wed 2-4pm
Thurs/Fri 12-3pm
Sat/Sun 9-11am

Typically, posting on Thursdays would be ideal. It is just before the weekend, which means that everyone who gets some spare time to browse youtube would have ample time to stumble across your videos.

Another factor related to timing video releases is in consistency. Once you get a system down, people will typically expect you to post on the days that you have historically posted on in the past, typically at the times that you have historically posted them. Doing this makes viewers more likely to subscribe, since they will find that they have something to look forward to.   

Description of each item on the youtube analytics page incoming...

My Process

Here I will outline my process on how I make my content in detail.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:08:29 PM by Gary »

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
Re: [Tutorial] Creating Videos on PC
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Very nice cheat sheet for video production :)
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Xian-mei

• Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: KrONic GLaDOS 2
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:22:42 PM »
This will definitely be handy for my videos to dominate the whole TOTAL MINER PC COMMUNITY
muAAAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

*I'm joking*

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
OBS was tricky at first, but when I figured it out, it was very easy and good enough to run a 30FPS pokemon ROM on my potato computer, so I can vouch for it.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »
I updated a lot on the analytics section (still a lot to go) and made everything a little bit more readable.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ