Author Topic:  [How to] Copy, Paste & Save Components  (Read 3916 times)

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[How to] Copy, Paste & Save Components
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
This guide is written using default controls

If you are unfamiliar with marker blocks read this thread before continuing.

Copying:
  • Use marker blocks to define the area you want to copy. This can be a single area upto 500,000 blocks.
  • Go to Creative menu (down on Dpad) > select Tools, select 'Copy'
You will now have a copy of the defined area in your clipboard displayed infront of you.
This copy data will be stored in your Clipboard now found in your inventory.

Zooming in/out:

You are able to alter the 'zoom', changing how far away from you the copied area is by;
Hold Up on the D-pad and press the Right Stick up or down to zoom it in or out.

There is also an option in Player > Options to change your field of view. Turning this up can be useful in some tight situations.

Rotating:

The copied data in your clipboard will remain facing in one direction.

Hold Up on the D-pad and press the Right Stick to the Left or Right to rotate.

Pasting:

There are 3 different methods of Pasting.
1: Overwrite
2: No overwrite
3: Merge

Overwrite:
Overwrite is the default method of pasting.
This will paste everything you copied, including the empty /airblocks.
It will overwrite any other blocks which are in its area -defined by the yellow cuboid.
The entire cuboid area you copied will be pasted, overwriting everything it overlaps.

To paste with this method press the Left Trigger.

No Overwrite:
This method of pasting will not overwrite any pre-existing blocks. Instead, the area you are pasting will be overwritten by any blocks which overlaps it, except empty /airblocks.
Empty /airblocks are not pasted over other blocks when using this method.

To paste with this method hold Up on the D-pad then paste with the Right Trigger.

Merge:
This method will overwrite any blocks which it overlaps, but it will not paste the empty /airblocks over what already exists.

To paste with this method hold Up on the D-pad then paste with the Left Trigger.

I recommend using an area to practice & get used to the differences between using these methods & the best time to use each.

Components:

Saving a component:
After you have copied an area using markers and you have it in your clipboard /hand, opening the Creative menu (down on D-Pad) will give you the option to 'Save Component'

You will first be asked to create a new Component pack -To do this simply follow the on screen instructions.
A component pack can be seen as a directory which will hold a collection of components.
For example I named my first component pack 'Medieval' -It is the directory i will save all of my Medieval style builds in.
After naming a component pack select the option 'New Component' and proceed to type in the name you want to refer to your copied area as. For example; 'Castle Large 01'

Pasting a saved component:

Open the creative menu and select 'Load Component'
Select the component pack you require & the component you wish to paste.

To load a saved component you will need at least one free inventory slot for the Clipboard - If you already have a clipboard in your inventory, loading a component will copy the new data to it, overwriting any that was there.
You cannot have more than one Clipboard at a time.

A brief recap/overview:

Zoom a component in/out = Hold Up on the D-pad and press the Right Stick up or down

Rotating a component = Hold Up on the D-pad and press the Right Stick to the Left or Right

Paste using No Overwrite = hold Up on the D-pad & press the Right Trigger

Merge = hold Up on the D-pad & press the Left Trigger

Overwrite = The standard method, simply press Left Trigger to paste with overwrite.

'Save' permissions are required to copy & save components.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:53:57 PM by muD »

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Creative - Copy, Paste & Components [How To]
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Great post. Thanks for writing this up

SUPERHEAVYDOODY

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: SUPERHEAVYDOODY
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »
I curse my eyes. I wish I would of seen this sooner.
XBL : SUPERHEAVYDOODY

EpiiKxReaPz

• Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • gyazo
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Stallion83
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
I curse my eyes. I wish I would of seen this sooner.
Not to sound harsh but there was really no point in posting in this thread as it is 4 months old.

SUPERHEAVYDOODY

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: SUPERHEAVYDOODY
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
Actually I'm back to post again. I really wish this would of been in the Q&A section. Would be very helpful to those of us that are new to the game. I posted asking for these very same things and got zero response. And turtles....very funny.
XBL : SUPERHEAVYDOODY

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:47:12 PM by Clerical »

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
2.0 update.
To move the object further and closer towards you, hold down the d pad and use up and down on the right analog stick.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • This Hotel Sucks
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
2.0 update.
To move the object further and closer towards you, hold down the d pad and use up and down on the right analog stick.

Same Controls other than that right?
Miner Of The Month - April 2014

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »
Same Controls other than that right?
yup.

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
Was Rotate added? (Not going on Creative for a while).
-Alionz

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
  • Awards 3 years on site Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
Was Rotate added? (Not going on Creative for a while).
Yes. Done by using special key and right stick left or right.

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »
Updated to conform with v2.0 default controls.

If anyone who uses other control schemes can post the alternative controls, i'll add it to OP.