Author Topic: [Game] Tips for reducing lag on large builds  (Read 10438 times)

empire 3001

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: empire 3001
[Game] Re: Tips for reducing lag on large builds
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »
 I found another way to keep ram small dont now if someone said this yet but on creative I have 2 worlds I build on one and copy and  paste on other world my world droped 800kb.
empire 3001

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Unique Content Contributors 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
Re: Tips for reducing lag on large builds
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 08:14:38 AM »
Yup that works as-well, i removed 2MB from just copying and pasting to a new world.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Zoidberg

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Awarded to exemplary forum members 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: v Zoidberg v
  • Steam: v_Zoidberg_v
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
So if I were to fill in inaccessible areas of my map (i.e. upper parts of buildings, and other areas that are needed to be seen but cannot be touched by players) with invisible barriers it would reduce lag, but wouldn't it increase the world size? And if I the world size is larger then wouldn't there be more lag anyway? Or does the world size have nothing to do with lag and just the initial time to load?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:18:52 PM by Zoidberg »

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
So if I were to fill in inaccessible areas of my map (i.e. upper parts of buildings, and other areas that are needed to be seen but cannot be touched by players) with invisible barriers it would reduce lag, but wouldn't it increase the world size? And if I the world size is larger then wouldn't there be more lag anyway? Or does the world size have nothing to do with lag and just the initial time to load?
Invisible barriers won't do anything to increase or decrease lag. They are equivalent to air in a hunch.

As for increasing your world size it wouldn't by much unless the areas you are adding to happen to be chunks you have not edited in before. This obviously wouldn't be the case for you as you would be filling in areas you already built up.

File size shouldn't affect your loading in time too much as the game is only loading in the area immediately around you when you start the world. It will affect other players though as you have more data to send them.

I

• My Challenge map or yours.
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dd warhero1
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
I never thought of it that way Young, that gives me a new perspective on map building.

SpiceSoul

• 344 Animes Watched
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
    • Awards
  • Xbox: immutablebox780
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
thanks this should help my world a lot!
Loneliness Is A Sickness That Leads To Death -Holo (Spice And Wolf)

JBL

• da bes err made
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »
thank you this will help alot..
I'm Da Bess
   Feenga in Da air

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 05:40:21 AM »
Invisible barriers won't do anything to increase or decrease lag. They are equivalent to air in a hunch.

As for increasing your world size it wouldn't by much unless the areas you are adding to happen to be chunks you have not edited in before. This obviously wouldn't be the case for you as you would be filling in areas you already built up.

File size shouldn't affect your loading in time too much as the game is only loading in the area immediately around you when you start the world. It will affect other players though as you have more data to send them.
I'll need to remember this for Trium, loving all the tips and advice. VERY helpful! /sage

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
Since the 2.2 update's massive performance upgrade, Are hidden faces as much of a problem as they once were?

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
Since the 2.2 update's massive performance upgrade, Are hidden faces as much of a problem as they once were?
Yes, hidden (visible) faces are the eternal enemy and should be ruthlessly seeked out and smited.

They add load to the CPU.
They add load to the GPU.
They increase GPU RAM use.
They increase the world's file size.
And most importantly, in online games, they increase bandwidth usage.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:12:45 AM by Craig »

Lady Lobo

• Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Lady Lobo
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 06:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the information Craig, I have hit almost 19  mb on my survival map spider 2 and I filled in 3 huge man made caverns and it helped.  I still have to fill in all the small tunnels, by the time I'm done it should help to reduce even more. 

ShaneSaw Taco

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Nerdy Blockhead
  • Steam: Shaneyu3000
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 10:41:45 AM »
Wow Very Helpful thanks xD

Dream Psychoo Xbox360

• Hi there! I'm a Total Miner map scripter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: AlphaGreyhound1
  • Steam: alphagreyhound1
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
Very helpful, thanks!
Welcome to the pack

Vexon

• Elite Member
  • A Sly Fox thats been stuck in a cave since 2011.
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Vexon X1
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: N/A
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
Thank you Craig, I know you get a lot of thank you messages, but for large map, This is a good tip!
 ^-^
[img width=533]

My High School Marching Band 2016

Dark Hydrak

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2015, 03:05:24 AM »
Once a map gets built up significantly, the GPU can start struggling to draw all the graphics, causing lower frame rates or draw lag.

It's all about visible faces. A face is the side of a block. If the side of a block is exposed to air, that side is a visible face and the game must draw it. The more visible faces the game has to draw, the more work it has to do; the more likely the map will start to hit the limits of the graphics hardware.

1. Hidden visible faces. How can visible faces be hidden? These are faces inside enclosed areas. The game does not know if a face is inside an enclosed area, all it knows is if the face is exposed to air. Significant landscaping can create enclosed areas. e.g. if you build a flat surface over a non flat terrain, this can leave empty areas underneath the flat surface you built, down to the ground. Any face inside this enclosed area will still have to be drawn, even though players will never see them. So to remove these hidden visible faces, fill in the enclosed areas. The Creative Fill tool is a great way to do that.

2. While the sunrise/sunset effect is active, the GPU is executing a lot of extra commands to create the effect. If you freeze the day/night cycle so that the sunrise/sunset effect is always active, the GPU is working much harder than it is during normal day or night time. If your map is experiencing draw lag, freezing the day/night cycle outside the sunrise/sunset effect can help.
So, basically, just stop time and fill in all of your empty builds? That can be very useful. Thanks Craig.