Author Topic:  2.0  (Read 40421 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
List of work to complete 2.0.

[Still TODO]
Update How To's and Hints.

[Complete]
Loading older existing worlds.
Mob Optimizations.
Add Stat edit tools to separate project.
Finalize Unit Tests.
Change Encryption system.
Add Encryption to Gamertag database.
Add new features to multiplayer (networking) ** work has now started on this. this is the last 'big' job of the update.
Final tweaks to Item Stats, Item Bonuses, Skill Stats.
Final tweaks to ore generation.
Transmitter Feedback problem.
General Optimizations.
Fix Attack XP source issues.
Fix Inventory/Hotbar issues.
Fix Sign Text.
Unlockables / Shop locks.
Fix some Blueprint issues.
Circuitry in components.
Add Treasure Chests to Looting XP.
Save block meta data to components.
Fix GPU Shader issues.
Finalize GUI changes.
Finalize Loading Screen changes.
Fix some lighting bugs.
Tweak Mob AI.
Tweak Memory Restrainer.
Finalize serialization (save system) changes.
Fix Delete, Rename and Copy.
Fix Share World.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:29:54 PM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: 2.0 Release
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:01 AM »
Just a note, if you're wondering about the post above, and why no items have been completed recently, it's because I'm busy fixing a bunch of smaller bugs that we've found recently and it's not really worth listing them all here. But rest assured, good progress is being made towards the release.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
I think it's fair to say we are now in final testing.

This means the current build could be considered a peer review candidate.

There are still a few minor things to clean up, but in general, the only work left now is final testing.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »
We have approx 12 bugs left to fix.

A couple of them are hard and will probably take me a couple of days each to fix.

The rest I can hopefully knock off 2 or 3 a day.

Hopefully we don't find to many more new ones over the next few days.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:32:14 AM »
11 to go.

We found 4 more, so I fixed 5 today, plus did some more mp testing.

Plus we added a set of new mid level armor for ranged combat.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:34:16 AM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:55:38 AM »
8 to go.

Also fixed up a bunch of little aesthetic issues.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 02:10:12 AM »
Fixed 2 bugs.

But still 8 to go, because we found 2 more.

Also fixed 2 exploits, and made a few more aesthetic improvements.

Added a few more blocks to the texture selection list to give you more choice of textures when building.

Added Texture selection for both Spawner blocks and Trapdoors.

Changed the Diablo unlockable requirement so it can be unlocked without the world of beast maps. If you already unlocked it, you won't have to unlock it again.

Started the task of updating the How To information and loading screen hints.

Happy Valentines day and have a great weekend.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:05:02 AM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 05:40:53 AM »
Fixed 3 bugs

Now 12 to go (yes 7 more were added to the list today :\)

Added upside down stairs and ramps.

Fixed the bluescreen program (it was broken, and no, it didn't bluescreen the bluescreen :s).

Made steel portcullis and scaffold allow sunlight through the top (like glass so they can be used for rooves without blocking light)

Made ladders also not block light from above, so you can build a shaft with ladders and the light is not blocked out.

Made a couple of other minor tweaks and fix ups.

Will be going all out to have the update ready for peer review by the end of this coming week. No promises, but that's the main goal.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:43:07 AM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:50 AM »
Worked on synching Mobs across the network today. Should finish the synching tomorrow.

It's looking good. A hell of a lot better than the current system. The mobs on remotes now move quite smoothly, they are only slightly behind the host positions, and there's no mismatch of mobs between host and remotes.

Although all my testing so far is on System Link which has a much faster line speed, I'm hopeful the mechanism will hold up well on the Xbox Live network, even under heavy load or bad ping times. Anyway, will find out with testing it on Xbox Live tomorrow.

Also fixed a couple of other minor issues.

Oh. also added 4 new bows for you archers. Each with progressively better stats.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:59:08 PM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:28 AM »
Continued to work on Mob synching today. Did some tests with very high network latency and packet loss, levels much worse than your typical connection, and the mob synching worked very well, so I think the current solution will be good enough. There are still a couple of minor problems which I can hopefully iron out tomorrow.

Started to work on properly managing PvP and PvM (player vs mob) in multi-player. Should finish this tomorrow.

Also worked on a problem we found when pasting clipboards in multi-player. The problem was to do with allocating new transmitter/receiver frequencies for pasted WIFI blocks. Working on this problem exposed a deeper problem with how data blocks (blocks with extra data, like chests, turrets, furnaces, transmitters etc) are generally managed in multi-player, specifically how their data is transmitted between machines in the session when their data is changed or as players move into areas of the map where they are present, or when clipboards that contain these blocks are pasted by remote (non-host) players. The current solution was messy, hard to follow in the code, hard to debug/test and it had an ever growing number of corner cases to deal with. So I spent most of the day replacing it with a system that should be much simpler, more robust, more flexible, more scalable and most importantly, easier for me to understand and work with. Hopefully I can also finish this by tomorrow.

Also did some general tweaks with the networking to reduce general bandwidth usage. The main strategy I used here was to look at high bandwidth users, like player and mob state (transmitting player and mob state becomes a serious bandwidth hog when there is more than about 10 players in a session). The game now only sends player or mob state if that state has changed since the last time it was sent. This might seem an obvious thing to do, but it has a cost, it adds significant complexity in the code and opens up corner cases (almost everything I do has a cost to weigh up). Anyway, made some pretty good gains, 1k-2k bytes per second savings in some cases. That might not seem like much, but for the measly bandwidth an XBLIG is allocated by Xbox Live, that's a handy saving that will help reduce general multi-player lag problems.

Also found a problem with explosion synching across the network. Somewhere in past code changes, the synching was lost, so the same explosion could have different results on different machines in the session, this has now been fixed.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »
Will be going all out to have the update ready for peer review by the end of this coming week. No promises, but that's the main goal.
This goal was not met. I will update the status tomorrow.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »
Sorry I've run out of time today to post a complete status. Will make time tomorrow.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 04:06:29 AM »
So the last status post was on Wed 19th. My goal was to have the update ready for peer review by the weekend of the 22nd/23rd.

It's been a tough few days burning the midnight oil. The goal was not met.

I had to spend half a day adding the ability to delete photo's and then another full day reworking how photo's are managed over multiplayer. This was an unexpected job. The existing code was a bit of a mess and not working well in mp, many things didn't work right. This has all been fixed up now and paintings/photo's should work well and as expected. You will even see the original photos on paintings in worlds you get via share. (only on worlds shared in 2.0, not previous versions unfortunately, the data just isn't there).

Also had to spend another 2 days on new unexpected bugs in multiplayer. And another 2 days tidying up a large number of cosmetic issues that had slipped through the cracks.

Unfortunately because this new stuff was found we are no closer to peer review now than we were 6 days ago, in fact we are further behind because there is also a few new bugs on the list that weren't there 6 days ago.

The silver lining is that the last 6 days have been very productive, many little details have been tidied up and the game is much better for that.

The bad news is that I have been working 70+ hours a week for the last 4 weeks in an effort to finish the update before some known commitments became due. The update isn't finished, and these commitments I have cannot be put aside any longer.

These commitments mean I'm going to have to take a few days off in the near future to deal with them, and I'll only be able to work 40 or so hours a week during this time.

With the number of items still on the list and the work needed to clear them, I expect its going to take at least another 2 weeks. Throw in a few days I need to devote to other things and it could be longer. But ya'll know how bad my estimates are :s

I am still hoping for and confident for a March release.

Sorry for the delays. But it will be worth it. You all know this is the biggest content update by far. There is more new content in this update than all previous updates combined. Right back to 1.1.

I'll keep you updated.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:10:37 AM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 06:53:31 AM »
Last post was 25 Feb. Wow time flies when you're not having fun cos you're coding like a monkey on speed every moment you can get.

Since 25th Feb, we have found and fixed 23 new bug reports, and fixed 3 existing bug reports. Some where hard and time consuming, requiring some redesign. I say bug report, because many of the reports actually contained multiple bugs. I'd say around 45 - 50 individual bugs were included in the 26 reports.

Where did all the new bugs come from? They came from some intensive multi-player testing, which if I'm honest, we hadn't really been able to do until the last 2-3 weeks.

And don't worry, I'm not wasting time fixing tiny insignificant bugs that most people wouldn't even notice. Only bugs which would seriously impact gameplay and inconvience players are being fixed now. And absolutely no new features or content is being added, only bug fixes.

Except for one. The addition of the hot bar has caused some major changes to the controls because it took away the use of the bumpers. Control of the hot bar itself is also problematic due to dual wielding. The controls now are starting to feel too complicated. So the one thing we will be doing before release that is not a bug fix, is a review of the controls, to see if we can improve them. This review + changes could be 3 or 4 days work.

I'm still hoping for a March release, or at least into peer review. It's going to be tight.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:29:44 AM by Craig »