Author Topic:  Combat System  (Read 5954 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
Combat System
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:01:28 AM »
The combat system has had a complete overhaul.

It's now Skill based, and I think it's pretty cool.

Previously every hit and miss was effectively random, and when a hit was made, the damage was always the same depending on the weapon used. And all mobs except the duck had fairly similar health points.

For mobs attacking the player, the mob had to actually collide with the player before it could strike, and again the hit and miss was random and if a hit was made, the damage was always the same.

Now, the player and every mob has a combat level, which is calculated from various skill levels, Attack, Defense, Ranged, Strength and Health.

Every weapon has a Max Hit based on those skills + Skill bonuses.

Every mob has a strike reach, which they didn't have before, so some will be able to hit you even if you're crouching under a block.

Now the hits and misses are based on the player / mob combat skills, and the damage is based on the max hit (Strength skill + weapon bonuses - armor bonuses). This makes everything consistent and fair. If you take on a mob with a much higher combat level than yourself, you can expect to get owned. If you take on a low combat level mob when you have reasonably high combat you can expect it will never be able to hurt you.

I've now signficantly varied the health points and combat level of each different mob, so each mob will provide a different challenge to different level players.

Every mob now has a health bar and their combat level displayed above their heads, so you know where you stand with them.

I'm well pleased with it so far. Also now we have a mass of new weapons and armor with varying stats and bonuses, combat is now serious fun, for me at least :p
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:08:20 AM by Craig »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
Re: Combat System
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:57 AM »
Distance from opponent and aiming has now been incorporated into the combat system.

The further from the center of the opponent you are aiming when your strike hits, the less damage you'll do (generally, not always as there is a small chance the bad aim won't affect the damage).

Each weapon now has a min/max range and an optimum range (calculated from the min/max). If you are further than the max range or closer than the min range, you cannot hit the opponent. If you're within range, the closer to the optimum range you are, the more damage you'll do and the more chance of scoring a critical hit.

1st person combat in TM is hard to get right, especially PvP, mainly because there are no momentum physics for the players, so it's easy for players to quickly dance around and the fight kind of turns into a comical dance.

So I am considering locking players and mobs into combat for 5 - 10 seconds from engagement. Players can then break away after this period of time. This will help reduce the crazy dancing around and allow the players combat levels to come into play. For ranged fights, I'm considering locking the players position while they shoot an arrow.

Just to remove any misunderstanding, a critical hit is just another word for a max hit (the highest damage you can hit based on your weapon + skill levels + bonuses - opponents armor + bonuses). It doesn't mean a weak weapon can randomly slice through powerful armor, it can't.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:40:52 AM by Craig »